Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:10   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
What a loss to West Bengal! And this is just the tip of the iceberg! The benefit that this plant is going to bring to the region is immense! Makes me wonder why in our country short term politics supercedes long term benefit of the region?
To know why short term politics supercedes long term benifits, check out the municipal election results in WB in newpapers today.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:37   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Have they sorted out the defects which caused the cars to catch fire.
They have investigated the fire catching issues. No problems were found in design perspective.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:12   #123
BHPian

I am hoping to see a fully loaded Nano that has a Power Steering and a openable hatch. And if this fully loaded one comes with a Diesel engine option, that would be awesome!

I know this could take away the '1 lakh car image' from Nano, but they could very well call the fully loaded one with a different name, 'Nano Executive', may be? Such a car would sure drive sales upwards and bring in enormous volumes.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I know this could take away the '1 lakh car image' from Nano, but they could very well call the fully loaded one with a different name, 'Nano Executive', may be?
The topmost version of Nano is designated only as LX. That leaves room for EX, GX, VX and may be even a ZX!
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:27   #125
BHPian

i had driven nano for quite some time in delhi when a friend went abroad for few weeks and left it to me. personally IMHO power steering is all that i will need to buy myself a nano. but only as a second car for city runabouts. where we rarely go above 60-70 kmph. and also my dad liked it lot due to his diminished ability to have quick response.but will only buy it with power st and a CVT if launched.

as per the fuel efficiency of nano being reported here by members being awesome i would n mind sacrificing some for CVT

imagine a highly manuvarouble small car with CVT and electric power steering, powerful AC and if needed only for 2 aged adults with easy of ingress and exit.....perect
Old 4th June 2010, 12:54   #126
BHPian

Probably due to all the fire they had some massive cancellations; i guess. There is a red color nano standing next to my house, usually i walk 10ft away, scared of the fire lol!!
Old 4th June 2010, 18:41   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Probably due to all the fire they had some massive cancellations; i guess. There is a red color nano standing next to my house, usually i walk 10ft away, scared of the fire lol!!
Or may be just maybe, they are doing this because with Sanand plant they have production capacity that can easily handle new orders(300000pa). Just a wild guess. /sarcasm.
Old 4th June 2010, 19:03   #128
BHPian

Visited Concorde motors bangalore today to ask about the booking of the Tata nano. The lady mentioned that the booking are closed and there has been no communication to open the bookings. She told it might happen in December. Just got the price list and came back :(
Old 4th June 2010, 19:20   #129
BHPian

Some may find this offensive, but for some reason people of west bengal voted for governments which are not business friendly. Jyoti Basu's 30+ years were like curse for west bengal. He did not let the business thrive but also allowed bangladesis settle in WB. Later BuddaDev tried to get businesses to WB but Mamata countered him. Actually Mamata did what communists were doing all these years. Now she will become CM of the state. Normally in other states which have seen some development a person like Mamata would have lost real bad. We are quick to blame politicians but we the people who elect them are the real culprits.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:11   #130
Senior - BHPian

Mamata 'might' have played politics with the Nano, but there is more to it than meets the eye. There are independent reports which mention that quite a major part of the land earmarked for Tata in WB was fertile agricultural land, which IMO is a no-no.

Industry needs land to thrive, but care should be taken to ensure that fertile land is not used for this purpose. I am sure we have enough barren land in India that is useless for agriculture which can be given to industry, be it for cars or PCs. We can live without cars, but obviously difficult to live without food.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:54   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Mamata 'might' have played politics with the Nano, but there is more to it than meets the eye. There are independent reports which mention that quite a major part of the land earmarked for Tata in WB was fertile agricultural land, which IMO is a no-no.

Industry needs land to thrive, but care should be taken to ensure that fertile land is not used for this purpose. I am sure we have enough barren land in India that is useless for agriculture which can be given to industry, be it for cars or PCs. We can live without cars, but obviously difficult to live without food.
I agree with you on the fertile land thing. Industry should not be given fertile land. Unfortunetaly that's not followed in India.

Why did mamata wait until the plant was about to go live? She would have started that much earlier. By the time the agitation started, most of the land was filed with concrete. So even if given back farmers cannot not use it for agriculture.The timing itself shows the intention was to sabotage the plant not to help farmers. Mamata won but West Bengal lost(losing from 4+ decades)
Old 4th June 2010, 23:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
Why did mamata wait until the plant was about to go live? She would have started that much earlier. The timing itself shows the intention was to sabotage the plant not to help farmers.
That's why I said Mamata 'might' have played politics, which is sad. I am no Mamata supporter (find her too shrill and loud), but if the WB Govt. passed on fertile land to industry, that was wrong is all I am saying. And this applies to any state in India.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:32   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Sanand plant may also produce diesel Nano. I hear the development of the car was complete and prototypes were built. Now that they have a dedicated plant for Nano, Tatas may introduce the diesel version.
Old 5th June 2010, 08:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That's why I said Mamata 'might' have played politics, which is sad. I am no Mamata supporter (find her too shrill and loud), but if the WB Govt. passed on fertile land to industry, that was wrong is all I am saying. And this applies to any state in India.
Well said. The politics in West Bengal has totally robbed the state of any semblance of industry. While culture is a good thing to have, it doesn't feed people. For one of the richest states in India (in terms of natural resources) Bengal's economic condition is pitiful.
Old 5th June 2010, 22:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Well said. The politics in West Bengal has totally robbed the state of any semblance of industry. While culture is a good thing to have, it doesn't feed people. For one of the richest states in India (in terms of natural resources) Bengal's economic condition is pitiful.
Its not as pitiful as it seems.Its the 3rd largest economy in India after Maharashtra and UP,and just ahead of AP.Then comes TN,Gujarat and Karnataka.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks