Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 14:04   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's an Indica. Nope, Vista...Nah Indica!! SIGHHHH!

Okay, I am beaten on this one. WHY did Tata give the Vista a near identical profile to the older Indica? Heck, last week, my sister didn't even realise that the bright red car next to us was the new Vista. I am sure this is the case with many a casual observer. It's not like Tata have the brand identity of a Merc / BMW / VW that they need to maintain a common family look. Period. Even Honda & Toyota refresh their designs with each new generation. If the new platform is a giant leap ahead (which it is), doesn't it make more sense to give it a fresh identity? Would the ANHC be so well-received if it looked like the NHC? Would the Swift be such a hotseller if it looked like an evolved Zen?
Old 6th October 2008, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

when the original indica was born, a lot of people accused Tata/I.De.A of copying the palio design.
Now you cant blame them for copying the older indica
Old 6th October 2008, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would the ANHC be so well-received if it looked like the NHC? Would the Swift be such a hotseller if it looked like an evolved Zen?
Along the same line, was the NHC well-received because of the change of look from the OHC? Swift hotsells because of many other factors and now people have started loving the look itself. I remember people disliking it when it came first time, that was when no one knew the characteristics of the vehicle.

Indica is a good looking car, however with a cheap brand image. But I feel the front and side of Vista is distinct enough and better than the old Indica. I also don't like the rear portion though.

As I mentioned, the problem is not the retaining of look. The problem is with the previous version's association with "cheapness" (in quality, power, usage, etc. etc.)
Old 6th October 2008, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tata's are obsessed with keeping the same looks with cosmetic changes for Indica/Indigo and when they sell so much why should they bother!
Old 6th October 2008, 16:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GTO : WHY did Tata give the Vista a near identical profile to the older Indica?
Reason enough for me to have moved the Vista to lower down the list. Have sold our Marina, and now dont want to go for the hat-trick.

The interiors are different, the exterior is fresh. Initially thought that the car was good. Didnt have much to complain about after the TD. But .... after giving it some thought, dont feel like going for it.

Luckily, have time before I go for the purchase of a new car.
Old 6th October 2008, 17:32   #6
SuperSyn

GTO, the reason Tata have retained the original Indica looks is because India does not have the talent/brains to make new designs. So they have affected some cosmetic changes while retaining as much of imported design as possible.

Original thought is lacking in this country. Or at least quality original thought. Suzuki tried once with Zen. We all know how that abomination turned out. This is not limited to automobiles, go out and take a look at the external architecture of most modern malls and try not to throw up.

:(

Last edited by SuperSyn : 6th October 2008 at 17:33.

Old 6th October 2008, 18:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
GTO, the reason Tata have retained the original Indica looks is because India does not have the talent/brains to make new designs.
We can build rockets but cant design cars, is it ? ..you went a bit too much supersyn.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was in Kerala last week and saw the Indica Vista on the road for the first time, and it looked (from upfront) like someone had tried a mod job on an Indica.

Tata - if the vehicle is indeed as different as people say it is, how do you change perception with an exterior that looks almost identical?

I wouldnt buy a new model with old model looks, and I'm sure many other wouldnt either.

If this car bombs in the market, this will be the single biggest reason.
Old 6th October 2008, 19:00   #9
BHPian

Till date I have seen 5 Vista's and it took a lot to know it was a different car.

All 5 times, I was in a traffic Jam and had nothing to do but see the cars in front of me and read the model etc. Frankly, I didnt even look at Vista till my wife pointed it out the first time. <Yes, she's also go the habit of reading car names /model #'s etc..etc. being with me >

It is soooooooooo identical to prev Indica.

Rest of the times, as I said, in traffic, looked around read a few model names and finally read Indica Vista .. again had a small conversaion on how can TATA make such a mistake of having the same looks.

Truely, it's difficult to make out the difference b/w the old Indicaand the new one unless you observe the name or look at the speedo inside.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 6th October 2008 at 19:02.
Old 6th October 2008, 19:26   #10
BHPian

Vista evolved from sucessful Indica

Yes, Vista evolved from sucessful Indica.

It was the best selling hatch in its class (Santro was not in this class, so out) till this year, when Swift overtook it.

Still Swift need to hit 14000+ mark to hit Indica's all time highest monthly sales (8 years since its launch). Swift or Vista may or may not achieve this due to the raining car launches scheduled in 09.

Getz, Palio, Opel Sail, U-Va, SRV all sexy cars, but they are not achieved descent numbers. (Except Swift)

A boot-cut idea(Indigo CS), did the magic and hitting 100% growth since last year(Sep 08 sales)

Not just in India, Tata has serious plan for Europe. They will emulate the Hyundai's success in Europe & US in a decade or two.
Old 6th October 2008, 20:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ummm, refresh model, increase size yet keep model dev costs low - makes sense ? I'd rather that, with the wayyy better fit n finish etc, than pay another lakh for an all-new design. It was hardly a bad design to start with.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
It was hardly a bad design to start with.
Couldn't agree with you more zen!
Old 7th October 2008, 12:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
Couldn't agree with you more zen!
The Original Indica was and still is one of the best looking hatches around. Well proportioned, clean and elegant lines, smiling face, still very tight and taut!

A clean design is something that looks good as it is. Bare bones. It doesn't need detailing to enhance it. Stickers, logos, fancy MFR lights and all are external. If something looks nice without those, it is a really neat design.

The classic Pulsar (first generation) was a fine example. Very neat and clean and well proportion. That has been lost in the recent upgrades.

Infact the Vista avatar lost that character of the original one. Altho' it looks nice and refreshed, it sure is detailed to look good. It has lost those proportions of the original Indica!
Old 7th October 2008, 13:57   #14
BHPian

I was about to book the new vista over the swift as it offered much more than the swift for the money we pay. But everyone in the family were against vista because they were of the opinion that it looked like a taxi car (read indica) .After looks does matter and booked the swift and joined the queue.
Old 7th October 2008, 17:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its a huge missed opportunity for TATA. Esp the back looks too much like the old one. For sure this will lose its appeal very quickly.

Most Viewed