Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 17:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have seen it in the showroom and unless you have seen both cars side by side , you cant recognize it ( Atleast from the back)

P.S I havent seen a single Vista running on the streets as of now.
Its kinda strange
Old 7th October 2008, 17:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the reason i have not seen a single Vista on road and Even sumo grande is a rare thing,if both these cars had different names from vehicle which were quality disasters on initial batches.

We all know both Vista and Grande are entirely different from indica and sumo,but AAM JUNTA needs to realise this and this might take years.'I have heard some people saying vista is just a facelift'.
Old 7th October 2008, 17:44   #18
SuperSyn

As always Hyundai shows the way forward. Look at the new i20. Such a good step ahead from the Getz, which was not bad looking by any means.

Ratan needs to step down and let someone with a vision and clue steer the ship.

I had noted this Tata mistake.

Old 7th October 2008, 17:49   #19
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
'I have heard some people saying vista is just a facelift'.
Sometimes manufacturers have these selective comaprisions printed in newspapers to advertise how their vehicle is superior to the competetion's product.

Tata should publish one such with Indica and Indica Vista as the two contenders so that people can realize that the wheelbase etc has all changed.

Old 7th October 2008, 18:05   #20
BHPian

I think that's a bit harsh, Ratan Tata has a lot more on his hands than Tata Motors. If there is one man in India who seems to have universal respect and some association with integrity its him. I don't see any viable candidates to replace him, at least he has Indica and Nano to his credit, who else in India has a profile that suggests even this much vision and risk taking? That will be tough to find.

As far as Tata Motors they are the only company trying something, Indica was a good launch, now evolving the platform is something they are clearly learning.

Designing, innovating, engineering, these all require ecosystems, one person is not going to make a difference, you can't pull talent out of thin air and unfortunately that R&D base doesn't exist in India and takes a lot effort and time to put up, first culturally and then real infrastructure in terms of education, universities, government, policies, business culture and a willingness to create and take risks.

That requires a whole new long term mindset, South Korea is a good example of what's possible when you track them from 1970's to now. That's why their per capita is now so high and they have near western living standards. Without innovation all round and quality and value you can deliver globally you are really not going anywhere.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:06   #21
BANNED

I have started seeing Vistas on the roads - saw a few in Madras last week, and a couple on the GQ. Takes a second glance when viewed from the front. From the rear, it is easily mistaken for a Ford Fusion.

My guess is - deliveries have just begun and as always, the sales figures will indicate whether this is a hit or not, rather than opinion polls and guesses on this forum.

No offense meant, but Team BHP has a habit of expecting the roads to be full of new cars as soon as they are launched (please refer similar threads on the Fiesta / Verna / etc.).

GTO's point is valid - many of us might not choose the Vista based on the fact that it looks similar. I *think* the similar name / design is to capitalize on the reputation built up over the years. The H's seem to have learnt the trick with their products.

Last edited by hrag : 7th October 2008 at 18:08.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had the pleasure of seeing first Vista today (silver color) and it is easily distinguished from previous Indica because of headlights and more powerful look. Cant see whats the prob with people as from rear also it is different than the previous one.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Along the same line, was the NHC well-received because of the change of look from the OHC?
The NHC's positioning (FE, practicality, seating) was entirely different from the OHC's (power, cheap Asian converted to Indian luxury). Yes, I do believe the radical looks had a strong part in changing the perception of the "City". And its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Tata - if the vehicle is indeed as different as people say it is, how do you change perception with an exterior that looks almost identical?
Couldn't have said it any better. The Vista is a quantum leap ahead, why shouldn't the looks reflect that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Yes, Vista evolved from sucessful Indica.
Correct. But we have to understand that the Vista has been positioned at a different entry point than that of the original Indica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Esp the back looks too much like the old one.
Not to mention that christmas tree lights have gone out of fashion a decade back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
P.S I havent seen a single Vista running on the streets as of now.
Chances are that you may have. But you dismissed it for an Indica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
We all know both Vista and Grande are entirely different from indica and sumo
The Vista is entirely different from the Indica. But the Grande is a dressed up (albeit much improved) Sumo. They share the same platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think that's a bit harsh, Ratan Tata has a lot more on his hands than Tata Motors.
Don't get Mr. Tata into this. We respect him just as anyone else. I don't see the harsh side to point out a fact. And the fact is, the Vista needed a fresh identity for the improved car that it so obviously is.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:46   #24
BHPian

May be Tata want to create a book called "Evolution of Indica"
Old 7th October 2008, 18:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Will agree with GTO on this. When the entire platform was changed they could have changed the exterior looks as well (like hyundai did for i20) and also they could have simply named it Vista rather than joining the Indica name to it.
Still IMO this remains a great VFM car.

@anonymous - And will be also followed by 'Evolution of Indigo and Safari'

Last edited by harry10 : 7th October 2008 at 18:50.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:52   #26
BHPian

GTO is right, this was an oppurtunity missed by Tata but they probably wanted to play safe and have a car liked by a larger number of people. Vista has got radical looks, no one will at least say it is a bad looking car. Its a strategic business decision I would say. Aggressive cars might not sell sometimes and vice versa. Suzuki was lucky with Swift (some people do hate it) but GM and Hyundai were not as much with Aveo sedan and Verna respectively. While Fiesta sold, even if it was boring to look at and a safer design (read conservative) than better looking Aveo and Verna. It is 'Bij-nase' my 'phriends' and the consumers are Indian.

update: Verna sales have improved but the bold chin Aveo still suffers.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:12   #27
BHPian

Surprising

I am quite surprised how folks here couln'd recognise a Vista from the earlier version of the Indica. i saw it the first day it came in the showrooms and I could easily make out the difference from the interiors as well as the exteriors. Basically its a larger and somewhat taller car.

Secondly, I dont see why keeping a similar design is such a bad thing. Until the new Palio arrived, I always ranked the Indica as the best looking hatchback behind the Swift. I mean, look at the competition - the tall freaks WagonR, Santro, new Zen and the somewhat weird-backed Getz. Obviously looks are a personal preference but what the Indica suffered from is overexposure and not bad external design. There were simply too many Indicas on the road which might have led to people getting fed up of seeing it.

I was speaking to the dealer last week and he said that the Vista is not going to be sold for non-private use i.e. you wont be seeing any Vista cabs on the road. Lets see for how long that statement remains true but I am definitely not complaining. The new Vista brings about a sea of change in features and interiors and also enough changes in the exteriors to satisfy me. Or you could re-design the entire car and come up with the Zen Estilo which IMO is the worst looking hatchback on the market today.

-Ganesh
Old 7th October 2008, 19:13   #28
BHPian

Could it be a cost-cutting measure (so Tata can still use the same dies and moulds as that of the Indica without much of a change) to keep the costs low for the Vista?

Have to agree with many others here on the option while upgrading from an Indica. Who wants to buy the same car (shape/exteriors) again?
Old 7th October 2008, 19:27   #29
BHPian

guys what are you saying.

when ever i have seen the vista i have straight away recognised it.

what r u saying, my sis who doesnt have much knowledge on cars and was not aware of a new vista being launched found the difference when we were passing a Vista onthe opposite side. thats a huge difference for me...

i guss u guys have or might have made a mind set on how other companies like Honda dieliver new generation.

My personnel opinion on a business front is that TATA have made the right call by keeping the resembalance with the V2, as people have accepted it very well and for that sake guys i am really pleased how suttle the changes have been which on closer observation revel a very new and aggresive looking car.

Yes i would say they could have gone more agressive and seeing the success of Swift could have worked harder on the looks and dynamics of the car.

One thing for sure they have a fight on their hands..........

ALL THE BEST GUYS AT TATA MOTORS
Old 7th October 2008, 19:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

I agree with everyone that looks could have been better. When G1TI ( Generation 1 Tata Indica ) came out, it was the best looking car.

G1TI was the king as far as small cars in India when it came out, better than Zen, Santro ( they were the kings at that time ). But here Tata has tired to play it safe. IMO, they have tried associating G2TI with G1TI and thinking that G1TI image will give them success. Trying to do so, they have not changed the looks they way they could have. When G1TI came out, it was a revolution as far as looks are concerned for the small car market. This is why it pulled many people and created almost Nano like buzz about itself.

G2TI has arrived at a time where more global competitors are present with tough to crack products. G2TI was an opportunity with which Tata could have once again proved why they are able to survive despite being relatively local player ( i.e. less global presence ). I believe that people were expecting more sharper and revolutionary looks with G2TI, specially after the arrival of Swift. Swift has redefined this department = A huge opportunity gone for Tata.

Whenever, G2TI passes by me, it at first looks like someone has worked on body and just modified it. This is infact turning out to be one of the biggest negatives against a good car.

However, the Indica positives still remain, namely VFM, excellent cabin space and availability of diesels.

Most Viewed