Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 18:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

The reason is simple.
They'll have to build a new assembly line.

If you noticed earlier - Indigo and Indica are identical till the C pillar.
Old 8th October 2008, 20:07   #62
BHPian

What everybody here think is new design, then new car. Dude that is not the case, look at Porsche Carrera or Ford GT, those designs have been there generations to generations and have been serving to the good set of people in the world. Then in that case why does one start saying that oh it is an Indica, and thus the Vista also looks the same. Yeah I would surely say that the Getz is similar to the looks of the Indica too. Then will anybody agree on this and not goto Hyundai Getz and buy Tata Indica. NO. If you like Getz, you would still buy that and say that Indica looks like Getz.
So boss come out of the world that one car looks like other, so everything in that car would be the same as this too. We should appreciate in what new stuff is in there and appreciate on what new brand building is going on. Not really keep dethroning it always.

Anup
Old 8th October 2008, 20:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

How much did the VW Golf change from version to version both in terms of exterior appearance as well as body internals. There might not be an identity for the brand today (which there is actually) but to build one, you need to remain consistent and desist from making too much of a variation.

What Identity does a Corolla have?

Now speaking of Vista looking similar to the older Indica, it doesn't. If I try to sketch those cars, all the lines are completely different, not just proportionately (on grounds of the vista being a bigger car) but from a design perspective as well. Does it hold its candle against the originals continous flowing lines, is a debate.
Old 10th October 2008, 12:32   #64
BHPian

I see atleast 2-3 Toyota Altis everyday at different places, but not any luck with Vista yet.

A really surprising observation considering Vista is a cheaper car than Altis and was launched almost 2 months back while Altis got launched a few weeks back.

what's wrong?

Is it just me not spotting any Vistas?

Is Tata having difficulty delivering Vista?

or

may be people are taking advantage of the discounts offered on the Indica Models getting discontinued (Entire Turbo Diesel Range, Xeta GLG, GLX and so on) and thats affecting the sales of Vista? Still that should have no impact on the sales of Vista Quadrajet.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Red Vista today on road first time and looks kool from front and sides. Good piece of tyres and alloys and will be stunning. Detest the back look. More fusion types and looks odd!
Old 10th October 2008, 15:15   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
How much did the VW Golf change from version to version both in terms of exterior appearance as well as body internals.
Difference:

1. Has VW sold two generations of the Golf side by side in it's home market?

2. The Vista is targetting a slightly higher price point than its previous generation. However, potential customers from the new price point do not want to buy a car with the image of the lower entry-level price point.

Yup, even the Altis looks so much like the older Corolla, especially from the rear / side profiles. Again the new Altis was a replacement model.
Old 11th October 2008, 09:24   #67
BHPian

Saw my first (non TD) Vista on the roads of Bangalore (Old Airport Road to be specific) yesterday. Metalling silver grey one!

Actually was trailing a line of Indica V2s when I noticed the high Christmas tree lights on the C Pillars a couple of cars ahead! At first I thought it was a Fusion (am actually looking for one: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ed-fusion.html ). But then it looked different.

Went closer by overtaking the Indica ahead of me and saw it up close. A Quadrajet Aura as expected. Looks nice on the road. Not striking tho'! Does look taut and grown up. But comparing the old Indica and the Vista side by side, I found that even if familiar, the older gen looked much nicer. Curves and lines gelling well! The Vista just looked refreshed and simplified.

But overall it does look nice and new. Only sore point about the design was the lower lip of the rear bumper shows up near the tail pipe. It doesn't look nice and shows some bends in it (as if the bumper was force fitted). They should have eliminated the lip :(

And yes, the new car already had a dent on the right front wheel arch!
Old 11th October 2008, 15:21   #68
BHPian

Saw a red Indica Vista on the road. Didn't like the car too much on the flesh. The peeled back headlights and the smiling grill don't go together. It's like seeing someone with mean looking eyes with a smile on the face.

Another thing which I felt was that the car looks too tall and bulky for it's front. It should have been more flatter to suit the front styling.

The sides too look too slab sided. Less said about the rear the better.

Overall I think the design is un inspired and just a tweaking of the old Indica design. If I had an Indica earlier, I definitely won't go for a Vista as there's not much change for me as a car. Just something which looks slightly different, different interiors and some additional features.

Same thing about the Palio. Just tweaking of the current design.

I think the SWIFT is still the winner here.
Old 11th October 2008, 18:26   #69
SuperSyn

See, the Hyundai i20 is the best argument for going to a more radical evolved design. No one is going to see any "similarities" between the Getz and i20, and plenty will pay a premium to get the i20.

The poster who mentioned design language is correct, but then some designs are more pleasing than others. Look at the latest Acuras, they have a new family look but -yuck- so ugly.

Besides Vista is a hodge-podge of poorly executed ideas. If they wanted to retain the original Indica shape it would have been far better to completely retain the original design elements and proportions but increase the overall size. Although I'll tell you what works for a Porsche 911 will not work for an Indica for obvious reasons.

The saving grace for Tata is that they finally have FIAT engines and gearbox.
Else this Vista would have little to offer other than impressive volume!

Old 11th October 2008, 19:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

The reason is simple. Ambassodor is still selling, with a design inspired from Morris Oxford from the 50s. Vista will continue to sell, even if it looks like a heavily facelifted older Indica, so why should TATA bother!

But the point is right. TATA could have given a complete new look to Vista. Seems like they can't get the Indica design out of their heads!
Old 11th October 2008, 22:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
No one is going to see any "similarities" between the Getz and i20, and plenty will pay a premium to get the i20.
Actually I see the getz DNA underneath the design of i20. Look at the
Silhouette , the headlights, smiling grill, the way thick C pillar is without quarter window etc.

Last edited by Guna : 11th October 2008 at 22:07.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Actually I see the getz DNA underneath the design of i20. Look at the
Silhouette , the headlights, smiling grill, the way thick C pillar is without quarter window etc.
I don't agree that the grille is similar. I don't see much similarity too.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I don't agree that the grille is similar. I don't see much similarity too.
Well the grills are different except that both have a smiling effect and get well integrated between the slanting headlights.
Old 11th October 2008, 23:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Well the grills are different except that both have a smiling effect and get well integrated between the slanting headlights.
But that cannot be called as similar buddy. As you said, its only a 'smiling effect'. Indica and Vista are pretty much similar. Especially the back part. When you compare that to Getz and i20, you will definitely not find so much similarity.
Old 11th October 2008, 23:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
But that cannot be called as similar buddy. As you said, its only a 'smiling effect'. Indica and Vista are pretty much similar. Especially the back part. When you compare that to Getz and i20, you will definitely not find so much similarity.
The degree of simillarity can vary. I did not say they are identical but meant to say there is a shared commanality at some plane, may not be so much obvious to a lay person. But someone who deal with form and aesthetics can see beneath the skin and read the underlying visual grid.

Most Viewed