Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 02:26   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Alloy wheels? No, of course not. A pure luxury item. I think that they originated in performance cars due to weight saving, then became a trickle-down item that made a car look more like a performance car, and ultimately, simply look nicer. There is no way that alloy wheels are going to make any difference to the performance of an 8-lakh production standard car.
Even better example would be a spoiler!
Old 8th October 2008, 04:04   #17
BHPian

I agree this thread is for wheels only, but I would prefer safety over looks if there was an option.

OT: The govt should make abs and airbags mandatory on all vehicles.

I agree that alloy wheels do not need to be provided with an 8L car, rather a 12+ lakh car.

Either way IMO, whether the car was 8L or 80L, I would not want OE wheels no matter what size, OE wheels are usually cast alloy and are very generic. If I would have anything then they should be forged aluminum and made very well.

Alloy wheels don't really make any difference on performance for a car.

Just my 2 paise.

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 8th October 2008 at 04:07.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think they should focus on safety.
If people want alloy wheels, they'd buy them from outside.
Remember, indians want low maintainance.
What if they are involved in an accident and the alloy breaks? It is substantially more expensive than a steel rim and a wheelcap.

However, most manufacturers offers alloys in the higher spec versions of their cars.
Ford - Fiesta 1.6S, Fusion +
Maruti - SX4 ZXi
Mitsubishi - Cedia all models

And the best part? these companies have also kept many of the safety features one wants in their cars.
Old 8th October 2008, 08:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

NO, they must not be offered as standard equipment.
In certain areas the roads are not good and after some rough use, the wheels might have some damage done. If the road conditions are good, then the issue wont crop up.
Also the tools with which the puncture-wallahs ( you have to visit them against your wish sometimes ) dont have the equipment to handle the alloy wheels. They will end up damaging them ( happen to our Baleno ).
Old 8th October 2008, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

if my car had alloys , the drainage slabs in my road would have scratched them to bits long ago. my wheelcaps are testament to that. I dont think I'll ever get alloys
Old 8th October 2008, 10:30   #21
BHPian

More than alloys, I would like to see climate control feature and Air Bags as standard equipment. It may be too far fetched, but I would love to have audio controls on the steering wheel.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
More than alloys, I would like to see climate control feature and Air Bags as standard equipment. It may be too far fetched, but I would love to have audio controls on the steering wheel.
Safety comes first. Climate control and audio controls on the steering wheel can go optional along with the alloys.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:39   #23
BHPian

Instead of alloys, if they could offer air-bags or provide a discount on ABS it would be great.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

After the safety aspects --- I'd go for comfortable seats!

Cab it be any more expensive to make the comfortable than to make them uncomfortable?

They don;t have to be plush; just supportive. This is a health issue: almost as important as safety.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniind View Post
should car companies should make mandatory fit alloy wheels to the cars priced above 8 lacs
Yes, if the tyres are tubeless. No, if the tyres have tubes.

Alloy wheels along with O.E.M. (original equipment manufacturer) or slightly above oem tyre pressure are less likely to deform when hitting a pothole at sufficient speed.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After the safety aspects --- I'd go for comfortable seats!

Cab it be any more expensive to make the comfortable than to make them uncomfortable?

They don;t have to be plush; just supportive. This is a health issue: almost as important as safety.
. Alloys should be left to an individual's choice. There are enough after market choices and to each his own.

Safety, of course. But many of us Indians don't even use the seat belt. So firstly, a lot of education is required to make that use mandatory.

But convenient seats - for the world of me, I never understand, why some manufacturers compromise on that - lack of under thigh support, seats that are too upright, seats that are too hard, a bulge in the middle which makes it uncomfortable for the rear middle passenger, lack of headrest, lack of proper shoulder support..this simply defies logic for me.

And finally, what about some neat cubby holes to keep your water bottle,cup holders etc etc?

Last edited by sridharps : 8th October 2008 at 13:33.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
OE wheels are usually cast alloy and are very generic. If I would have anything then they should be forged aluminum and made very well.
Forged wheels are costly. Besides, I have not heard of any major disadvantages of cast alloy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks