Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 13:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

I have heard about this incident about one of my collegue who went to US.
Since this person was used to driving a manual geared, right hand drive M800 in India, he had little trouble while driving an automatic left hand drive car there. When ever he had to stop/slow down suddenly his left hand would go the the door searching a for a gear lever.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic thread! My driving typo : With 3 diesels and a lone petrol in the house, waiting for the *imaginary* glow plug timer to go off before starting the Vtec. Matter of habit.
lol happens with me every time i start my accent after getting used to bolero over the years.

i wait till the humming sound of the fuel pump goes everytime i start the car
Old 8th October 2008, 13:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
  • Parked and didn't get into neutral before dumping the clutch.
  • Put 2nd after 3rd instead of fourth [day dreaming!!]
  • Put the seat belt on for moving the car by 1 foot in the parking itself.
  • Racing with some car and miss my own turns to office!
To add...
  • Searching for the key in pocket and wondering where it is while the car is on the move
Old 8th October 2008, 13:30   #34
BHPian

Do airline pilots make the same mistakes?
Old 8th October 2008, 13:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great to see I'm not alone.
Still wondering why this thread was moved to the Indian Car scene - was that an admin typo?!
(Just kidding)
Old 8th October 2008, 13:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Fuel lid vs boot release happens with me too quite often.

I am reminded of an incident with my colleague in US. Our company allows only a bare minimal rental cars in US. So the one i had did not have power windows. It had the lever to roll the windows up or down. So, my colleague (from India only) was sitting in the passenger seat and i asked her to open the window. She looks at me all puzzled and says, "How???? where are the buttons??"
It also took me a while to get used to going to the left side of the car to get into the driver seat. People must have been wondering why i circle the car before getting in.

Slightly OT, but... couldnt help noticing a couple of posts related to wearing the seatbelts on sighting a cop. Odd.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Slightly OT, but... couldnt help noticing a couple of posts related to wearing the seatbelts on sighting a cop. Odd.
In which cities is wearing a seatbelt compulsory?
Old 8th October 2008, 14:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
While parking the car, I lined it up well within the marking and instead of pushing the break, I pushed the gas. Before, we could realize what has happened the front two wheels were over the curb and in the lawn before our apartment.

In this confusion and tense moment, I again pushed the gas instead of break. This time, the whole car in the lawn. Finally, I managed to gather my composure and I did manage to apply the breaks just in time. Luckily, there was no damage.
Your typing typos are showing up in addition to your driving typos. You need a good break to avoid too much brakes

Just joking. No offense meant!

Last edited by pradkumar : 8th October 2008 at 14:11.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Funny typos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
  • Racing with some car and miss my own turns to office!
I think this is by far the most funniest typo I have read on this thread...

My typos when I owned an Indica... Pressing the clutch instead of the brakes to slow down in bumper to bumper traffic.... Nothing untoward happened though... Silly me.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:45   #40
BHPian

People who own a ford must be aware of this and i am sure it must have happend to them as well.

the lever of indicator on indian wrong side is a problem.end no.of times i have turned on the wipers while trying to take a turn.

second thing is no boot opener in the ikon so many times at malls security guard ask me to open the boot and i try to search for it in the car till the time realise it is not there.

these are old habits, latest one is more related to being impatient. person trying to sit at the back in the car i give just about 15 seconds to do so and if you cant then i am on my way whether your leg is hanging out or you bag..hehe
Old 8th October 2008, 17:05   #41
BHPian

- Circling the car before getting in (in US). This happens all the time.
- Looking up for the rear-view mirror while riding a bike.
- Applying the imaginary brake when on passenger seat .
- Waiting for the imaginary turbo to warm up and spool down before shutting off. (Thanks to Safari).

Have driven on the wrong side in US as well. A car coming in the opposite direction stopped and honked. I realized my mistake and entered a parking lot close by, and, to my horror the other car followed. Now, Irvine in Orange County, is a nice and safe place, but, I thought this must be someone wanting to clean me up. Luckily, it turned out to be a colleague who recognized me and hence followed me to find if I needed help with directions..
Old 8th October 2008, 17:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

UK has the funniest driving style. I was there for a couple of months and used to drive my brother's honda CRV. Normally at a junction if you see a car and u want the right of way, you just flash your headlights to let the other car driver know that you are zooming by. In UK, however, its the reverse, you are supposed to flash your headlights if you are gonna wait and let the other guy pass.
So always while driving in london i used to flash my lights at another driver and speed up only to brake hard realizing that i had given him a signal to go!!!
really irritating!!!
Old 8th October 2008, 22:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh, that yes... Most confusing! WHat you mean is India has the funniest driving style

The odd thing is that Indians use the headlights as per the British HighWay Code--- as a warning. The way that Brits actually use the headlights, as an "after-you!" is illegal.

Auto/Manual confusion: Missing gear stick, missing pedal.

Yes, that can be bad. Worst I ever did was put my foot on the 'clutch' as I went to change down with my left hand. Car came to a sudden halt as I hit the brake, and the guy behind me was not pleased!
Old 9th October 2008, 05:13   #44
BHPian

happened initially because of the differences between the setup of the NE and the Ikon.

...Frantically groping for the handle to roll down the window while driving...Then realize, Damn! this ones got a button for it. And ended up lowering the read windows instead.

First 2 times i got into the ford I was surprised by the wipers, I plucked the wiper lever while getting in. Also, turned on the wipers instead of the indicators a couple of times on it.

Sometimes when i enjoy the drive, i forget where Im heading and keep driving on the main road missing the turns. And if family is accompanying me, they let me know how much they like it right away.

Last edited by gendarmee : 9th October 2008 at 05:22.
Old 9th October 2008, 08:03   #45
BHPian

Fuel/Boot is pretty common for me. Another one is when I sit in the front passenger seat and I feel like pressing the brake/clutch/accelerator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks