Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 09:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Fuel/Boot is pretty common for me. Another one is when I sit in the front passenger seat and I feel like pressing the brake/clutch/accelerator.
Happens with almost everyone.

Not the accelerator and the clutch everytime but the brake for sure.
However the only person's driving i trust after mine is my drivers.
Old 9th October 2008, 10:53   #47
BHPian

This happened in USA. My car was a manual transmission Maxima. When I had to drive my friends Automatic Camry, there was a need for a sudden braking, and instinctively, my right hand pushed the lever to 'P' (I think I wanted to take it to Neutral by instinct) and the car came to a standstill and went off. I still don't know how the car escaped any damage to gear assembly. Luckily there was no traffic behind.
Old 11th October 2008, 02:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
a lot

another fluke. has happened 3-4 times. I reach the massive car parking (walmart etc). slowly get into a slot. apply brakes, keep an eye on the car on my side to align to correct distance, and then, the car just doesn't stop, i frantically keep pressing the pedal and it just doesn't stop. and then i look at the other side and I am stopped.

what happened was the car on the first side was backing out exactly at the same rate as i was stopping. so it gave an illusion that i never stopped.trust me guys, it till really scare the hell out of you when u have a massive wall/an expensive car in front and the brake doesn't seem to work.
i completely agree with you on that one...it has happened to me more than twice and i still havent learnt....hehehe...but the shock is really somethin to experience...
Old 11th October 2008, 17:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Before I started driving I used to be comfortable in the passenger seat. As many others have done - now I keep pushing my foot on the imaginary brake!
Old 11th October 2008, 17:38   #50
BHPian

starting wipers instead of turn indicator is the most common typo for me..as I drive either NHC(Normal Stalk) and Skoda fabia(Inverted Stalk)..
Old 11th October 2008, 20:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
In which cities is wearing a seatbelt compulsory?
Atleast in mumbai it is. But sometimes when engrossed at getting the car upto speed (a/c, lights, music ,mirrors etc) kind of tend to put em seatbelts on. Then on seeing a cop...

Last edited by danlalan : 11th October 2008 at 20:15.
Old 12th October 2008, 01:38   #52
BHPian

In my initial days, i used to insert the key in the door lock on the driver side, open it and just go in and sit in driver seat and close the door only to realise the key is still in the door lock on the outside. I got over it slowly but i still sometimes forget to open the fuel lid sometimes and just get down and start looking at the fuel meter 0000.00

Another one was with my bike. The key was in OFF and i was kicking the rod and other time, with my friend's bike i thought i turned the key to ON position but it turned only half way and the electricals started working such as horn and Neutral light but it was not starting and i kept kicking for about 10 times and only then i realised that i turned the key only half way.
Old 12th October 2008, 02:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Heres one for the bike.

If your used to 1down all up and then shift from that to another bike which has all down it becomes a problem. Gears iam talking about.
Old 12th October 2008, 03:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I often forget that electric windows have to be shut before turning off and taking the key out.

I once forgot that windows have to be opened before sticking one's head out. My passenger almost died laughing...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2008, 09:50   #55
BHPian

For me, when i went for a test drive of Ford Fiesta , it was 6-7 months back , having city and alto, i was used to using indicators by the levers on right side of steering wheel. In only 3-4 km test drive, i activated the wipers instead of turn indicators 3 times.

Another one was with my dad , when he took city cvt for the test drive and accidently pushed brake very hard coz he is used to manual and pressed it like we push clutch ( all the way to bottom ), just after that he had made up his mind that he wont buy CVT, else would end up pushin brake many times causing more chaos on road
Old 12th October 2008, 12:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
While parking the car, I lined it up well within the marking and instead of pushing the break, I pushed the gas. Before, we could realize what has happened the front two wheels were over the curb and in the lawn before our apartment.

In this confusion and tense moment, I again pushed the gas instead of break. This time, the whole car in the lawn. Finally, I managed to gather my composure and I did manage to apply the breaks just in time. Luckily, there was no damage.
You sure are lucky, dude! A colleague of mine landed up in a swimming pool and made headlines in Chicago! To make things worse, the hired car was not insured. Poor guy got fired and returned to his previous job in India. Most of the 17000 employees in that company know him as 'Swimming Pool Satya'
Old 12th October 2008, 14:49   #57
BHPian

heres my typos

1) pressing the imaginary brake on seeing a fast approaching obstacle when sitting in passenger seat
2) getting into a parking and frantically breaking cause my car isn't stopping when actually it is the car next to me backing out
3) after shouting at an erring moronic driver who does something irritatingly wrong, i try to vroom past them in the heat of showing whose right, and release the clutch before gear engages from 1st to 2nd and the result is an embrassing rev in neutral
4) once I was driving my old 5 speed maruti 800 on a long tiring drive and at one point while accelerating engaged 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and then mistakenly engaged the 6th gear at a speed of 100kmph+, only to realise it is reverse gear . thankfully there was just a krr sound and nothing dangerous happened

Last edited by jassi : 12th October 2008 at 14:51.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:41   #58
BHPian

My uncle yanked out the wiper stalk!

My uncle had been driving his Premier Padmini for about 10 years and one fine day his company gave him a raise which included a new company sponsored car (Santro). So when he went to the showroom to select the car he was offered a test drive. To the dealer's horror, when everybody were seated he proceeded to yank out the wiper stalk imagining it to be Gear lever!!

Another of my favorite typo. I had been on vacation to India for one week where I had driven my fathers omni and had returned to airport parking lot and started my car (no surprises here) Just before exiting out everybody had were waiting in queue to show in the coupon at the gates. Looking at the car stopped in front of me I honked by force of habit!!
Old 12th October 2008, 18:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

another fluke. has happened 3-4 times. I reach the massive car parking (walmart etc). slowly get into a slot. apply brakes, keep an eye on the car on my side to align to correct distance, and then, the car just doesn't stop, i frantically keep pressing the pedal and it just doesn't stop. and then i look at the other side and I am stopped.

what happened was the car on the first side was backing out exactly at the same rate as i was stopping. so it gave an illusion that i never stopped.trust me guys, it till really scare the hell out of you when u have a massive wall/an expensive car in front and the brake doesn't seem to work.
Similar incident happened with me too. When I was at a signal. The car next to me was moving ahead and I was thinking my car going behind because I am loose on break
Old 12th October 2008, 19:22   #60
BHPian

driving typos:
when you want to park the car without realising that the car is in neutral,and we keep on pressing the accelerator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks