Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 20:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
4) once I was driving my old 5 speed maruti 800 on a long tiring drive and at one point while accelerating engaged 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and then mistakenly engaged the 6th gear at a speed of 100kmph+, only to realise it is reverse gear . thankfully there was just a krr sound and nothing dangerous happened
Happens with me too.
Sometimes i tend to get the gear into neutral and move it to 6th , but realize that there is no 6th gear just in time to prevent any complications
Old 13th October 2008, 00:05   #62
BHPian

This April, in Portugal, I got awfully lost while trying to find our hotel in Albufiera. We had no sat-nav, it was dark and raining like hell, and my girlfriend was screaming at me for not knowing where to go! With all this stress bearing down on me, I took a right turn from a small side street onto a fairly major road, except that when taking a right I went past the central divider and onto the far side of the road (like I would in India) and as I was accelerating up to 80 km/h I saw three arrows on the three lanes on my side of the road, all pointing towards me! Screeched to a halt in the run off lane, took a very quick and nervous U-turn and resumed roaming around for another hour before finding the hotel (which was situated in a pedestrian-only zone)!
Old 14th October 2008, 20:36   #63
BHPian

My driving typos:
After late night hectic work schedule some time I see my car door do not open , because I try to open the door by swiping ID card @ my car door. After realizing I open the same with remote.
Old 17th October 2008, 00:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Since buying my Spark LT, I have twice rolled down the rear window when I wanted to yell at some idiot on the road. My wife finds it hilarious.
I too frequently drive past our colony gate. So much so that my wife has begun warning me when we're still half a km short.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

My Driving Typos:

On my bullet:
Always failing to find the neutral, and while in the rarest of rare case when i want her to rip, 1st gear then 2nd then neutral and then 3rd then again neutral

On my 4 wheeler:
  • Sometimes forgetting to take the hand brake / parking break off.
  • Always mixing the wiper blades to be the indicators
Cheers
AC
Old 17th October 2008, 17:00   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
On my bullet:
Always failing to find the neutral, and while in the rarest of rare case when i want her to rip, 1st gear then 2nd then neutral and then 3rd then again neutral
That reminds me of another typo. Coming back from a college picnic (nearby beach) and swapped bikes...my RX100 for a friends bullet. In a tight corner, truck comes out of nowhere. Instinctively, I press the brake (actually the gearlever - opposite layout on the Bullet)!! Man, had such a close shave that it's hard to believe we didn't crash. My pillion rider, she almost fainted.
Old 17th October 2008, 17:15   #67
BHPian

I usually drive car in evenings and the worst part is whenever I drive car during day time my hand automatically goes to the right side of steering to power ON the headlights
coolbareilly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2008, 17:22   #68
BHPian

unless someone already told as this thread spawned 5 pages, couldn't read fully.

I used to drive in US and now in India.
The common mistake I do,
look left - then right - and then left before you enter into cross section as in US.

It's opposite here, and took sometime to practice.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is mostly related to the handbrake. Luckily the merc and skoda inform me when the handbrake is on but the fiesta doesn't.
I really haven't faced any other issues as all the cars in the family have the switchgear on the opposite sides and the light switches on the right side of the dashboard.
However, as I only drive diesels, whenever I drive a petrol like my cousin's getz, I always end up over revving it before starting off.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:30   #70
BHPian

Most of the things are common mistakes. Invariably people mess up the indicator and wiper in many cases especially when shifting between cars. Also making a mistake of the different gear patterns. I still remember the wierd pattern of gears Sierra had. Also the placement of the boot and bonnet buttons and levers in the fiesta.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:35   #71
BHPian

Wonderful Thread:

Mine had happened couple of times. I have habit of switching off the engines at signals.

Occassionlly will have a chat with the co-passenger, missing the lights, will start the car with Clutch depressed. Press the accelerate by releasing the clutch in middle of lots of horns from behind and curse why dont it move. Then realise to slot the gear from Neutral
Old 20th October 2008, 00:58   #72
BHPian

Fatal Typo

Worst error you can make when driving in US - driving on the wrong side of the road. I was in Sunnyvale last week - there's a place infamous for straight-from-the-airport H1Bs driving on the wrong side of the road.

I turned right on a traffic signal - and saw a car approaching me head on at full speed. I was on the right side of the road and this H1B guy was driving the wrong freaking side - assuming he was still in India. I swayed right to let the dude pass by - he realized his stupid error - and went on to the right side.

I've heard people getting killed this way. There's a cash and carry here - I see cars going in and out of the parking lot on the wrong side of the road all the time.
Old 20th October 2008, 09:59   #73
BHPian

Palio Sports 1.6, i always switch on the rear wiper instead of the front ones!! Doing it for the past 3 months, havent learnt yet!!
Old 8th November 2008, 12:18   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ain't no driving typo worse than this Baleno that's stuck bang in the center! The owner didn't pay heed to any warnings, one of his wheels was in the air. Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Seesaw Baleno:

Driving "Typos"-moto_0268.jpg

Driving "Typos"-moto_0269.jpg
Old 8th November 2008, 12:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Driving cars with remote locking/alarm systems fitted!

my car comes with non remote central locking, and I havent fitted any alarms or stuff, so when i tried to start my friends car , ended up setting off his alarms quite a number of times. eventually he started it for me himself

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks