Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 20:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving "Typos"

I guess most of us are familiar with typos when we type stuff on a keyboard.
I was wondering about a similar concept while driving - Driving Typos.
Basically when you're driving etc you hit the wrong button, lever, etc and end up in some trouble or fun.
When my friends drive my Chevrolet UVA they invariably hip the wiper stick instead of the indicator - the most common typo on my car.
On a highway trip to Chennai I'd just switched to third gear and after a while reached to switch over to fourth and instead of the gear lever I gripped a bottle my wife had just placed closeby and yanked it back.
A few days later I took out my dusty kinetic honda, put in the key and turned it to crank the engine and nothing happened - I realised that I had gotten so used to turning my car on that I forgot the button start (and the kicker option) on my Kinetic honda.
At least on two occasions I have cruised into the petrol station, powered down the window and told the guy there "Fill her up" and he replies "Sure sir, but could you close your boot and open the fuel door please!"
I'll stop for now before you guys throw me out thinking I'm really absent-minded.
I'm sure I'm not the only one though.
Care to share your experiences with driving typos?
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 21:21   #2
BANNED

How about pulling the hood (bonnet) release lever instead of the fuel cap lid?

First time I was in the fuel pump.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have a Honda City
It has a Wiper stick on the left and the indicator and lights on the right.

While in the vRs ,
the wiper stick on the right and indicator on the left.

I drive the vRs usually and when i have to drive the Honda City , my hands usually go on the left for the indicators.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:36   #4
BHPian

I have a Verna and a Alto, each time i use the alto, I start the car with the clutch. Got used to verna, where you need to depress the clutch in order to start the car.

Also, after riding my pulsar, if i use my dad's Dio, i forget its a gearless scooter, tend to hold the break, thinking its the clutch.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

The wiper and indicator stalks are the most commonly used incorrectly by me when driving my Optra and the switching over to another car with opposite controls.
Next gaffe would be opening the boot instead of the fuel filler lid and getting confused everytime I drive into a fuel pump as to which side the opening is.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another common one is the power windows. If your in a hurry to pull the drivers side down it will stay put instead the rear window or the passenger side window goes down.

Seatbelts also... Just when you need to put them on when your coming upon a cop.. you kind of pull it real quick and thats the time it'll get stuck.
Old 7th October 2008, 23:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Another common one is the power windows. If your in a hurry to pull the drivers side down it will stay put instead the rear window or the passenger side window goes down.

Seatbelts also... Just when you need to put them on when your coming upon a cop.. you kind of pull it real quick and thats the time it'll get stuck.
Pretty True
Both the things happen with me also
Old 7th October 2008, 23:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

a lot of times i turn down the cruise speed on my right thumb when i meant to reduce the music volume to lowest on my left thumb (or is it vice versa ?)

another fluke. has happened 3-4 times. I reach the massive car parking (walmart etc). slowly get into a slot. apply brakes, keep an eye on the car on my side to align to correct distance, and then, the car just doesn't stop, i frantically keep pressing the pedal and it just doesn't stop. and then i look at the other side and I am stopped.

what happened was the car on the first side was backing out exactly at the same rate as i was stopping. so it gave an illusion that i never stopped.trust me guys, it till really scare the hell out of you when u have a massive wall/an expensive car in front and the brake doesn't seem to work.
Old 7th October 2008, 23:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

all the symptoms mentioned here happen quite frequently to me, the most frequent being the power window one...
Old 8th October 2008, 00:11   #10

I read through the gaffes, and most of them were hilarious. Here's my two pence:

Whenever I drive a bike after a long break, every time I have to change lanes or take a turn I look up to check on the traffic behind me. And then wonder where the mirror went. Is this the sign of old age and the resultant senility

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2008 at 04:40. Reason: Font tags removed.
Old 8th October 2008, 00:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Also
The reverse gear is an issue
In the honda its normal
In my bhabhi's verna , it has to be pulled up
and in my vRs it has to be pushed down.
Really gets confusing.!
Old 8th October 2008, 01:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the weird habbit of operating the wipers instead of the indicators --- when reversing!
Old 8th October 2008, 01:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_bashob View Post
[COLOR=black]I read through the gaffes, and most of them were hilarious. Here's my two pence:[/COLOR]

Whenever I drive a bike after a long break, every time I have to change lanes or take a turn I look up to check on the traffic behind me. And then wonder where the mirror went. Is this the sign of old age and the resultant senility
I think you need to stop smoking that stuff dude. LMAO THATS the sign of an overdose i guess.
Old 8th October 2008, 02:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
I think you need to stop smoking that stuff dude. LMAO THATS the sign of an overdose i guess.
Dear Danlalan, the problem started after I stopped the stuff. BTW the break that I meant was a break from driving a car and switching to a bike
cheers:
Old 8th October 2008, 03:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

benji saab, the stalk position in your car is itself a cost cutting typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks