Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2005, 06:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Spotted : New Hyundai Sonata!

Hey Guys...
Call it a lucky day or being in the right place at the right time, but i saw 2 new Sonata's in a single day here in Toronto. The first one was parked in the driveway of a house and I could only see the back view of the car. Even for a car enthusiast like me, it was difficult to recognise it as the Sonata. First, I saw it and dismissed it as another Accord. That's how similar the styling is. what gave the car away, was that width wise, it is way narrower than the Accord. I just felt there was something werid with "this Accord" and actually stopped walking and then I saw the Hyundai logo and realised it was the Sonata. The second car I saw when I was sitting in a bus and a maroon Sonata zipped by on the crossing. I could only see the side view this time. My impressions are that the car is way to boring to look at. It looks better in pictures then in metal and I don't know how people in India will take the narrower design compared to the Accord considering that the cars will be priced around the same and will be considered as D segment cars. I don't know if any of you guys have actually seen the Sonata on the road, but these are just my thoughts.
P.S. I have also been spotting a number to new BMW 3 series car's on the roads here and boy! that car looks just smashing! Clean , Sharp lines, perfect design. The new 3 is just WOW!
Old 21st August 2005, 12:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

hey amit ...
the car doesnt look all that narrow ..
have you seen how small the baleno(esteem) looks compared to the other cars in north america?
if you spot the same corolla we have in india there ..it wont look as nice as it does in india ..thats because our eyes are used seeing bigger cars overall ..
Old 21st August 2005, 13:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

With over 200 BHP I think this car has the potential to revive the fortunes of Hyundai in the D segment. I saw a modded Black Sonata on this forum and it looked simply amazing. I dont quite like the one they are selling of the show room, but this car will look great with some mods.
Old 21st August 2005, 23:28   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey amit ...
the car doesnt look all that narrow ..
I think he was indicating that the new Sonata looks narrow compared to the New Accord. The Balenos presence in India has nothing to do with it.

GTO
Old 21st August 2005, 23:44   #35
BHPian

Somehow i feel the new sonata is more towards audi territory than accord, apart from the back end. And it looked better on the road, than in the pictures. I am sure it will fare better than the old sonata.
Old 22nd August 2005, 23:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Why isnt the V6 being offered in India? I saw the ad in the papers the other day, and it just mentioned the 2.4 L VTVT engine. The 3.3 L engine would have really taken the fight to the unbeatable (as of now) Accord V6.
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:08   #37
BHPian

i like it

i like the way the new sonata embera looks....im sure they're gonna price it in the 14-16 lakh range......sonata's have and always will be THE value for money cars in the d segment bracket.....and im sure all the lesser things in the old car has been sorted out too....i def believe this car is gonna pack a punch....best value for money performance car...............
Old 23rd August 2005, 08:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Why isnt the V6 being offered in India? I saw the ad in the papers the other day, and it just mentioned the 2.4 L VTVT engine. The 3.3 L engine would have really taken the fight to the unbeatable (as of now) Accord V6.
The 2.4 l is quite capable of matching the Accord. The 3.3 should do seal the arguement.

I think the car looks pretty good in the Indian context - it measures up very well against its rivals in terms of looks, finish and size. Pity about that borrowed back-end, though.
Old 23rd August 2005, 10:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

I got a brochure sent from Hyundai dealer about launch of New SONATA. It claimed that Hyundai Sonata is the more relaiable car in the US with only 2 problems per 100 cars. Also it says that Hyundai Sonata has upstaged Honda Accord & Toyota Camry and other midsize rival ont he market.

57.6% of Hyundai owners return to buy another Hyundai, as opposed tot he industry average of 48.4% more details from www.autoweek.com.

The car looks so cute.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:06   #40
BHPian

The Sonata has potential no doubt and its price at 13.5 L is a lil expensive but with the likes of Accord, Skoda and Cammry running away with the limelight, its a matter of time the Sonata goes unnoticed.
Old 23rd August 2005, 13:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Why isnt the V6 being offered in India? I saw the ad in the papers the other day, and it just mentioned the 2.4 L VTVT engine
dude the Sonata Embera with its base 165 bhp engine it will smother the 2.4 accord in terms of performance ...
Prez of Hyundai India said they are bringing the smaller engined variant because its belting out good power being a smaller engine it will be more FE .. totally brought in to attack the accord ..
Old 24th August 2005, 02:48   #42
BHPian

Seems a good buy to me(if not the best) but i would love to see the Crdi under the hood , that would make this car a real winner .

I enquired about this from many Hyundai dealers but all are denying that it ll come .... Does anyone know when is Hyundai planning to come up with the Sonata Crdi ?
Old 24th August 2005, 09:57   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
dude the Sonata Embera with its base 165 bhp engine it will smother the 2.4 accord in terms of performance ...
I wouldnt bet on that. History has shown the korean horses to be a little weaker in comparison to their Japanese / European counterparts.

GTO
Old 24th August 2005, 10:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I wouldnt bet on that. History has shown the korean horses to be a little weaker in comparison to their Japanese / European counterparts.

GTO
even with a near 20 bhp advantage ?
agreed they are weaker but there is bigger margin here ...as compared to the tornado /1.6accent Vs the OHC v-tec ..
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sonata Is the fastest car in country.. faster then RS

Well no one went to test drive Sonata Embera

Its faster then Accord(all versions), Octy RS and well almost all cars in India(4 door cars leave the Audis and Porches)

Quote:
Numbers first. Zero to 60 kph in 3.9 seconds. 100 kph in 7.9 seconds. Top whack of 215 kph. Like what you just read? Now brace yourself so that you don’t fall off your chair, because those numbers were returned by a Hyundai. And we are not talking about the new Tuscani coupe endowed with a V6 engine.
Quote:
All those rich kids with Skoda Octavia RS toys beware — this Hyundai, driven by a grandfather, may just humble you at the signal light.
Quote:
So it has a power-monger of an engine and decent road manners.
Quote:
Let us begin from under the bonnet. Hyundai now has variable valve timing technology and I am certain that this 2359cc DOHC ‘Theta’ engine came with the blessings of Mitsubishi who have been inspiring Hyundai technology over the years. This CVVT unit will not be as unflappable as say the V-Tec engines of Honda, but it produces a healthy 161 bhp and 22.5 kgm of torque — figures that are better than that of the Accord 2.4. It is eerily silent at idle, but more throaty and metallic than V-Tec motors on the move.
Source - http://www.bsmotoring.com/2005/aug06_1.htm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks