Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 19:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Thats great news. Would love to see Nanos on roads instead of autos. It will be 100 times better.
Yeah! Kudos to Tata,

I just saw bajaj auto news paper advertisement in bangalore

Bajaj Auto Ex-showroom price 1,05,000/- and LPG 115,000+, which don't even comes with top cover and and many other basic fittings, which they charge extra + Taxes extra.

any Nano critiser should know this fact.
Old 27th October 2008, 13:03   #32
BANNED

2009??

Just saw this:-

Nano late, diesel variant later- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 29th October 2008, 01:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

I read an article by Jeremy Clarkson of 'TopGear' , where he terms the Nano as a "Cheap Trick". I think the characterization is unfair. Here's the article from the TopGear website:

TopGear calls Nano a "CHEAP TRICK" !!!
Taken from TopGear website:

Cheap trick

So Jaguar's in safe hands, then. This is the Tata Nano, the new super-affordable car from the company widely expected to buy Jaguar and Land Rover in the next few weeks.

Dubbed the 'lakh' car - from the colloquial Indian word for 1,000,000 rupees, which equates to about £1,250 - the Nano delivers on Ratan Tata's pledge to build an ultra-cheap car for the Indian market.

The world's cheapest, in fact - the Nano is being marketed as an alternative to the scooters and tuk-tuks that most Indians use to get around. Shorter than a Mitsubishi i but using a similar monoboxed, rear-engined layout, it's no exaggeration to say that the Nano could transform subcontinental motoring. Be afraid.

So what do you get for the price of a sofa? Not a lot, in honesty. The Nano is powered by a two-cylinder engine, which develops a mighty 32bhp. Driving the rear wheels, it'll see the Nano to 44mph in 14 seconds (why 44mph, we're not sure) and on to a top speed of around 66mph. It'll manage around 57mph, too.

Luxuries? Not many, as you might have guessed. Twelve-inch wheels come as standard along with, erm, a steering wheel, four seats and perhaps even some suspension. A radio is an optional extra.

Concerns have been voiced about the Nano's environmental impact and safety standards, but Tata claims that it has been 'built to meet safety requirements and emissions norms, to be fuel efficient and low on emissions'.

Mild obfuscation, perhaps, but Tata also says that the Nano's safety performance 'exceeds regulatory requirements'. Exactly what those requirements are remain unclear, but at least the Nano should be safer than a scooter. Or, say, hopping.

Tata is yet to announce whether the Nano will go on sale outside of India, but we reckon it could be just the entry-level Jaguar to attract young penniless reprobates to the brand. Perhaps not.

source: TopGear

Last edited by nickatnite : 29th October 2008 at 01:48.
Old 29th October 2008, 02:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I read an article by Jeremy Clarkson of 'TopGear' , where he terms the Nano as a "Cheap Trick". I think the characterization is unfair. Here's the article from the TopGear website:

TopGear calls Nano a "CHEAP TRICK" !!!
Taken from TopGear website:
Why is it unfair characterization? The Nano IS a cheap trick. TATA R&D went through so much trouble to make it cheap, so there is nothing wrong in calling it a cheap car. It achieved its goals.

JC is a automotive journalist. When the Top Gear team reviews cars, they look for Power, handling, luxury etc. TATA Nano is not designed with those goals in mind.
Old 29th October 2008, 11:16   #35
BHPian

Wow!! I did not know a sofa costs 1250 pounds. Hats off to Tata for making a car at the price of a sofa. Shame on the Topgear journalist to write such stuff without testing the car.

He also says not many luxuries- Sir, what luxuries do you expect in a 1250 pound car when your sofa costs the same??
Old 29th October 2008, 14:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

I was one of those who questioned the impact the Nano will have on the number of bad road users in India and I still hold those reservations.

But after all the Mamta B shananigans I am glad Ratan stuck two finger up to her in his press release and he has continued with his vision. This car will still hit the roads despite all the rubbish that has gone on over the last few months.

Last edited by bigman : 29th October 2008 at 14:33.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont pay too much thought to what Clarkson has to say about most things. You have to remember that his job is to attract as wide a viewership as possible for Top Gear. And its a known fact that nasty humor is a surefire way of doing that. (E.g. John Cleese)
Old 29th October 2008, 17:50   #38
BHPian

It is a stretch to call Clarkson a Journalist - a Journalist has to report mainly on fact rather than opinion and present a balanced viewpoint.

Clarkson is first and foremost a comedian, who just happens to have a car show and an interest in cars.

You can google for his comedy columns in the Times of London.

In any case, for all practical purposes, his opinion is entertaining but useless to the majority of middle-class buyers.
Old 30th October 2008, 04:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

sometimes JC acts like a joker/fool, remember his review of 350Z in BBC TG?
he gave 3/10 for the car in his review and thrashed the car in whole review.

But it won BBC TG Car of the year 2004.

That means even inside TG, people dont pay much attention to some of his reviews.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks