Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 16:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

I really hope that all goes well with the Nano for Tata motors. The hell they had to go through for this project is unfortunate. Of course this is a business venture and they are in this for the money, but if that was the only concern for Tata they could have easily chosen many other lucrative options, eg. maybe producing it in China, SE Asia etc.

Fingers crossed this will be worth all the trouble for them.
Old 13th October 2008, 16:59   #17
BHPian

finger crossed for Nano. I am eagerly waiting for TD of Nano deluxe
Old 13th October 2008, 19:33   #18
BHPian

This is great news!

Any idea when TD cars will be available and when the bookings actualy start.

Also need to see how long Tata will be able to hold the price. Remember that the Maruti also started as a peoples car - first batch was sold at some 40K (or 45) or so - but then it started getting increased at short intervals thereafter. Most of the initial buyers managed to sell their Maruti after 5-8 years of usage at prices much higher than what they paid!
Old 13th October 2008, 20:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some more hints on this.
Source : Nano likely to roll out on Ratan Tata's birthday

Article.
Quote:
Call it coincidence or history repeating itself, the world's least expensive car 'Nano' is likely to be rolled out around the time Ratan Tata celebrates his 71st birthday on December 28, just as the 'Indica' was launched a decade ago when he turned 61.

According to informed sources, Tata Motors

is working on a plan to launch the 'People's Car', as Tata fondly refers to, to coincide with his birthday with about 10,000 units being readied to be rolled out from the company's facilities in Pune and Pantnagar.

Vendor sources also said, already parts for about 12,000 units of Nano have been dispatched to Tata's both Pune and Pantnagar facilities. They added that initially only the base model of Nano would hit the roads this year.

When contacted for comments on the development, company officials reiterated the stated position of exploring possibilities of manufacturing Rs one lakh car at its existing facilities at Pune and Pantnagar and launch it in the last quarter of this financial year.

It may be recalled that the 'Indica' was also launched on December 30, 1998, two days after Tata celebrated his 61st birthday.

At that time Tata had to overcome doubters, who suspected the company's ability to make cars, considering it was only into commercial vehicle manufacturing.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

good news. Is it confirmed or still speculation?
Old 13th October 2008, 21:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
28th December 2008 also marks 10 years of existence of the Tata Motors Passenger Car division.
Would be a perfect date for the launch. (hmmm - I wonder if Tata Motors has any other 'anniversary editions' planned)
ya exactly ten years back they introduced indica. that too after several months of newspaper ads that the vehicle is coming.... (aiming to block the booking of maruthi cars). finally they started booking on dec 17th and upto 23rd, i suppose, though not sure. within a week 17,000 bookings were made.

Last edited by benkey2 : 13th October 2008 at 22:05.
Old 14th October 2008, 05:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Tata for their commitment and dedication, Nano is famous even here in US. People here says electric version of the nano will be a success in US.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nano to miss Oct-Dec launch
Quote:
In fact, Tata Motors is making a desperate bid to launch the Nano during the January-March 2009 quarter.
Full article @ Nano to miss Oct-Dec launch- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:59   #24
BHPian

This is a great news. Hopefully they will not have any issues in Gujarat and the car will be rolling out at the expected time itself.

perfect time for the launch also, same as when they complete 10 years with Indica. what a big hit it became. All the best to Tata guys
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:58   #25
BHPian

Day before I saw a test nano on old mumbai-pune highway near dapodi. I was on my palio. He was constantly doing 60-70+ KMPH and I am not able to catch him in city traffic. This car is absolutly superb for city traffic and going to kill us big car owners.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Day before I saw a test nano on old mumbai-pune highway near dapodi. I was on my palio. He was constantly doing 60-70+ KMPH and I am not able to catch him in city traffic. This car is absolutly superb for city traffic and going to kill us big car owners.
Not able to catch a Nano with a Palio - Thats interesting!
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news. Would love to see Nanos on roads instead of autos. It will be 100 times better.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:57   #28
BANNED

Nano? No Nooooo!!!!!

Even though I must say that I might be alien in this thread but I think that Nano is the worst thing that EVER happened to TATA or to India itself. Consider a change of scenery where in all the motorbikes (like the Pulsars and the Discoveries and the Shines) are replaced with the Nano- all the cities (big or small) in India will head for a big traffic jam- then there will be advertisements asking people wether they want beds in their cars to sleep through the traffic jams + all the maruti 800 users will be tempted to go for the Nano so another huge problem in addition to the existing big cars on the road!!! Madness!!! Plus i think Bengaluru shouldnt be saying a word about the Nano if one thinks that buying smaller cheaper cars is a better way to find parking space or swerve your way through traffic then you are terribly wrong! 4,00,000 motorbikes in Chennai ALONE out of which 2.5 lakh touch the 80,000 category (Pulsar) so they all will upgrade into Nano and they will block the small lanes and slum areas and the whole thing will be a fiasco! Although I have my own doubts- the maintainence costs will be high for the lower end one as wear and tear will be high owing to cheap material used so be wise and look away from the nano... Atleast thats my suggestion.... Tata- do somethiung useful like making your Indigo and Indica range look better and Fiat inspired (The new 2009 Indigo has a Vista like front which is yucky if they had introduced the Elegante concept un touched- it can sell like hot cakes) than going behind money making impossible ideas!!!!cheers:
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Not again! This topic has been discussed to death, time and again on the forum. Let's not get into that discussion again.
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:50   #30
BHPian

Despite so many hurdles, it's good to know Tata's have not shifted the launch date by a long margin.

There was report in TOI that Tata's have tied up with SBI and would start the booking after Diwali in all major branches of SBI.

Hoep Tata's announce the booking dates soon.

Most Viewed