Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki A-star, is that really the same as Nissan PIXO?

Hi friends,

The yet to launch Suzuki A-star will be marketed as 'Nissan PIXO' in other countries. But I think there are some striking differences between 'A-Star' and 'PIXO'. The front end treatment is nice(European Touch) with PIXO but a little too funky in 'A-Star'.
The back bumper is gorgeous in PIXO while its a bit too simple in A-star.
Also, in one of our threads, somebody said that the rear window seems to be Glued (cannnot be rolled down), which can be clearly noticed in PIXO.

Does MSIL really holds a winner or is the same fate of Estillo that waits for A-star?????
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-star, is that really the same as Nissan PIXO?-nissanpixo_2009.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-star, is that really the same as Nissan PIXO?-nissanpixo_2009_back.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-star, is that really the same as Nissan PIXO?-production_suzuki_astar_1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-star, is that really the same as Nissan PIXO?-production_suzuki_astar_2.jpg  

Old 13th October 2008, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting find. All this while I was under impression that A-Star is an MSIL product & not Global Suzuki which the above proves wrong.

We have seen & heard of some manufacturers selling Wagon R under their brand name with slightly different looks but this would be a first time that a design is first used by some one else & then by Suzuki or is it originally a Nissan design?
Old 13th October 2008, 15:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think A-Star is the first product from MSIL that is seriously considered for Exports. In India it would be the A-star, Under Suzuki badge it would be Alto and under Nissan Pixo. Its similar to Suzuki Splash christened as Opel Agila in Few markets.

@Techno- The design of A-star is mainly done by Indian engineers from MSIL.
Old 13th October 2008, 15:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes Karan thats what even I knew but I was wondering then how come the Nissan Pixo is already out there as I am not aware of any place where this Model is on Sale from Suzuki.

Then I goggled & found this

Quote:
Nissan Pixo: New Affordable Mini Car Made in India to Debut in Paris

Along with the revised 2009 Note mini MPV –see photos and details here- Nissan will also stage the global debut of its all-new mini car, the Pixo at this year’s Paris Motor Show. Built in collaboration with Suzuki Motor Corporation in Delhi, India, the Pixo is essentially a rebadged and restyled version of the new Suzuki Alto. Although hasn’t released pricing yet, the Japanese carmaker supports that when the Pixo goes on sale in Europe in spring 2009, it will be offered at ‘an extremely accessible price’.
Source

So this explains well
Old 13th October 2008, 15:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think A-Star is the first product from MSIL that is seriously considered for Exports. In India it would be the A-star, Under Suzuki badge it would be Alto and under Nissan Pixo. Its similar to Suzuki Splash christened as Opel Agila in Few markets.

@Techno- The design of A-star is mainly done by Indian engineers from MSIL.
Yes, I've read somewhere that it will produced only i India.
BTW, does MSIL engineers really failed to give attractive front to A-star, or they want to reserve it exclusive for PIXO.

Sometimes they may be giving us the upmarket front of PIXO to us laterwards as 'Refreshed' A-star by 2010
Old 13th October 2008, 17:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

In the A-star, I have already posted a link that said about the two cars.
The precise answer to this question is " YES ", Nissan Pixo and Suzuki A-Star are the same cars.

Suzuki has done all the engineering and mostly the car will be exported with 1ltr 3 cylinder engine or 1.2 ltr specially for exports ( not very sure about the 1.2 ltr engine fact ). Suzuki has a history of selling its through badge engineering. Zen Estilo was sold as Nissan Moco in Japan. The Alto sold presently in Japan is also sold as a Nissan.

EDIT : The post in which this news was told:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...h-star-20.html
Page 20, reply no. 293

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th October 2008 at 18:01.
Old 13th October 2008, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

After the Renault merger, Carlos Goshn's strategy was to get out of the K-Car business and let Suzuki to build all their K-Cars. I think the Moco was the first.
Old 14th October 2008, 08:56   #8
BHPian

Looks like Nissan and Suzuki are partnering up for much more since here in the US, Nissan is making the new Suzuki Equator truck. Which is just a rebadged version of the Nissan Frontier/Navara.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

yes A-star is indeed the nissan pixo.a-star will be given to nissan from india to sell it as pixo but nissan cannot sell in common markets.Out of the 2lakh production of a-star anually 1 lakh would be exports out of which pixos would be arround 20%,

ram
Old 20th October 2008, 10:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wonder where that leaves nissan micra? The not so cute small car from Nissan that it plans to bring to india (in '10 i think). All of a sudden in 5yrs time, we run out of options for cars cause companies stop creating individual products but rather pool in for collaborations. So we see the same car in slightly different garbs everywhere. So when a car is launched, the first thing you think - "Hmmm...haven't we met before?"
Old 21st October 2008, 22:11   #11
BHPian

Is Pixo based on the Micra or an evolution of that? It has more in common with Micra than A-Star.

BH.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

nissan pixo is the a-star and would be built in the manesar plant.There wont be any huge difference at all from the a-star except features like alloya etc.But that too is denied by MSIL people.They say a-star would be ditto nissan pixo
ram
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Is Pixo based on the Micra or an evolution of that? It has more in common with Micra than A-Star.

Pixo is nothing but an A-star with a different badge and may be upto some extent different grille, etc. Otherwise they are the same. Developed by Suzuki entirely without any help from Nissan.

Micra is altogether different ( also called March ) and the present generation Micra/March was developed with Renault.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:57   #14
BHPian

This looks the same as A star. But how is nissan and Maruti or Suzuki having the same design? Do you mean its a copy from nissan or do they share the same design as fiat and suzuki sharing engines
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

@backrub: please read the 3rd & 4th post in this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks