Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Demand for Old Zen

I have a 2004 Maruti Zen that I have put on the block on numerous websites, including TBHP. However to my utter dismay there have been almost no inquiries at all, let alone a sale.
My queries are:
Is this a case of ppl losing interest in buying the car or a case of Supply exceeding the Demand. I have seen quite a few ppl who have put their Zen for sale.
Am I the only one facing this problem or this is being faced in general by others also?
Old 14th October 2008, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Hey Maverick,

I have a 2004 Zen too besides my new Palio Stile SDX. Though, initially I was planning to sell it off, now I'm not. Some of the reasons I think why Zen is not much in demand:
  • Outdated model, no longer in production.
  • Not too much bigger than Alto, which is the entry-level car. Also, very small boot.
  • Usually, asking price for Zen is high because it is considered a premium hatch. People scouting for second-hand cars end up buying Santros and Indicas instead, which are bigger and at least appear as more VFM.
  • Zen is a very mod-friendly car. Only serious modders or those who'd choose performance over style, space and VFM would buy a second-hand Zen.
IMO, in addition to the above reasons, only a very low asking price will facilitate the sale.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 14th October 2008, 14:00   #3
BHPian

I agree with Dueller. I think people who buy second hand zens do so for performance. But a majority of people who buy second hand cars, want more VFM and end up buying other models which are bigger and have more space.

I think what I would do to sell the car, is to drive around town and visit atleast 5-6 dealers, including maruti true value and try and get a quote from them. If they ask for 10k to 20k less than my expectations, and i am having difficulty selling the car - I would seal the deal.

Another alternate is, if i am upgrading the car, to say, a Verna... I would ask hyundai to buy my car and they might give a little more money in anticipating of a new car sale.

Exchanging with Maruti itself is a good option, if you are planning an upgrade
Old 14th October 2008, 14:09   #4
BANNED

I also own 2003 end Zen and its in demand, Your must be not getting enquiries as your’s is LX model ( non Power window and Steering ) by d way what price you are expecting and what are the details ?
Old 14th October 2008, 14:23   #5
BHPian

NJ - Its a Nov 2004 model, new shape. No power steering, but I have fitted after market power windows in the front. Running is very low (22,300 km) as it is mostly used for our evening outings and weekend travels only. I had visited carwale.com and the price reflected was 206,000 for a car in excellent condition, thus I have put a price of 200,000, which to some extent is negotiable. The pics in the ad speak for themselves. I have taken them last Saturday only.
I would love to retain this car, but my prob is that I am the only one who drives in my family and I would hate to see this car rot standing in one place.
Guys whats the price I should expect? If I am getting a dismal price, I might as well not change. I just wish Maruti had made this car slightly bigger. This thread would not even have existed.
Old 14th October 2008, 14:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
NJ - Its a Nov 2004 model, new shape. No power steering, but I have fitted after market power windows in the front. Running is very low (22,300 km) as it is mostly used for our evening outings and weekend travels only. I had visited carwale.com and the price reflected was 206,000 for a car in excellent condition, thus I have put a price of 200,000, which to some extent is negotiable. The pics in the ad speak for themselves. I have taken them last Saturday only.
I would love to retain this car, but my prob is that I am the only one who drives in my family and I would hate to see this car rot standing in one place.
Guys whats the price I should expect? If I am getting a dismal price, I might as well not change. I just wish Maruti had made this car slightly bigger. This thread would not even have existed.
Ditto here, Maverick! I wish the car was bigger. I've lived with no boot space thanks to the speakers, amp and the woofer. 2,00,000 for a 2004 Zen LXi is good, IMO. Perhaps, a second-hand car dealer can stretch it to 2,10,000 or 2,20,000.

I'm now curious. What can I expect for my 2004 Zen VXi? It is fully loaded - power windows, power steeting, rear wiper + defogger, amp + woofer + 6 speakers and in a very good shape except for some scratches here and there.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 14th October 2008, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Happens sometimes. Sometimes all it takes is just one enquiry to finish the sale. I had that experience 8 years back when i sold my 118 NE.

Don't lose heart & reduce your price.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:08   #8
BANNED

Maverick : i guess you shd get 1.7/ 1.8 as it LX, Reduce the price, i am sure you will get enqueries.
Old 14th October 2008, 18:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Happens when the car gets itself into a niche segment, like an OHC. Though both are probably at polar opposites in that segment, the OHC has a lot of demand, the Zen is in demand only by serious modders looking for a pocket-sized rocket.
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:00   #10
BHPian

Sorry to post to this old thread now. But can't resist
I was researching the used car market for some long and man!! the ZEN (older model) is still selling like HOT cakes. And also the ZEN D its not much available in used market but those available ones are being asked huge rates.
A 99 model stock ZEN pertol is asked a rate about 1.35L and a 99 model stock ZEN Diesel is asked around 1.5 - 1.6L. Its the senario in kerala. .. please what is this?
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
...A 99 model stock ZEN petrol is asked a rate about 1.35L....
My dad was offered Rs 50k for his '99 carb zen (mint condition and never driven above 70kph!). Perhaps I should try selling it in Kerala.
I was wondering if I should retain it and mod it, but I already own a swift vxi that I plan to soup up. So is it worth keeping the old zen?
Old 23rd December 2009, 05:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

The old ZEN is taking a cue from the RX100, its selling purely on demand. It was a cult car in its time, but has its limitations now, its more like greedy owners who are pushing up the price
Old 23rd December 2009, 07:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised. When I thought of buying a Zen (< 5 years old), the prices quoted were in the region of Rs 2.5 lacs. I thought "what the hell" and bought a new Alto instead. That was 6 months ago. I think the prices are still ruling high in Chennai used car market.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd December 2009 at 07:03.
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:48   #14
BANNED

Is the car still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
My dad was offered Rs 50k for his '99 carb zen (mint condition and never driven above 70kph!). Perhaps I should try selling it in Kerala.
I was wondering if I should retain it and mod it, but I already own a swift vxi that I plan to soup up. So is it worth keeping the old zen?
Hey Roy, do you still have that Zen of yours,? I could come over and take a look. I have a couple of friends who are on the lookout for it.
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is one of the hottest hatches in the 2nd hand market. When I was in search for one, I attended a mela organised by a renowned bank and MUL True Value and I saw 2 deals finalised right in front of me in no time. I had to walk of dejected as I liked the ones that got sold. Later on I got a sparingly used facelifted one in superb condition. Still gives me the kick and give others a run for their money. Like someone said it is definitely of the RX league whos value was recognised after they stopped producing it.
Yes, a maintained Zen 2004 Model would fetch nothing less than 1.3L and I don't see why the seller should sell one below that, unless there is a dire necessity to sell it off.

Whats more it comes under 'An Enthusiasts Car'.
Look: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...es-less-2.html

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd December 2009 at 09:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks