Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 12:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

GM says the cost benefit of the 800 cc engine over the 1000cc one would be approx Rs.20,000. That's too less of a price difference. I think most people would stretch a bit more and buy the 1.0L variant anyway. The 1.0L variant would have more features too.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:10   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
That's too less of a price difference. I think most people would stretch a bit more and buy the 1.0L variant anyway.
Not in the entry-level segment; 20,000 makes a world of difference!. There are some Team-BHP "What car" threads too where the choice of car was determined by 15,000 - 25,000 in difference. Plus, a 20 grand difference in ex-showroom results in larger savings on-road. Taxes & insurance would also be relatively lesser.

It's obvious that Chevy is looking at volumes with a smaller-engined Spark. I like the hatch, bring it on I say.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:26   #18
BHPian

this new 800CC engine will most definitely make ppl happy, as such spark has not being doing good lately. So ya why not plant a smaller engine, give out a super FE and still let ppl enjoy city driving
i'm sure mad ppl in our country will still try to stretch this lil baby on expressway
Old 15th October 2008, 16:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
1. Offers significant price reduction

2. Offers higher mileage. Quite possible, but performance may suffer esp. with the AC on.
Yeah I guess you have a point there.
Also as ashthedivx mentioned if they add the 3yrs 0 maintenance that will be a killer combination.

I don't see that many "sparks" on the road

Last edited by yzfrj : 15th October 2008 at 16:36.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
this new 800CC engine will most definitely make ppl happy, as such spark has not being doing good lately. So ya why not plant a smaller engine, give out a super FE and still let ppl enjoy city driving
i'm sure mad ppl in our country will still try to stretch this lil baby on expressway
High speed driving on an expressway requires stability and lesser braking distance more than ability to reach high speeds quickly. If M800 and Alto can cruise at triple digit speeds, i don't see any reason for 800cc Spark not being fit for expressways.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
It was more like a toy-
I second this. Driving spark is like driving a toy car.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:49   #22
BHPian

All these comments on the Spark are enjoyable insight....some not so intellectual and some good for intellectual exercise....keep them coming!

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2008 at 09:44. Reason: NO INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE please. We have a very varied audience on board!
Old 15th October 2008, 20:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
GM says the cost benefit of the 800 cc engine over the 1000cc one would be approx Rs.20,000. That's too less of a price difference. I think most people would stretch a bit more and buy the 1.0L variant anyway. The 1.0L variant would have more features too.
The difference, i dont think is too less. Look at the i10 1.1/Kappa price difference. Thats less than 20k.

Also, as GTO said, 20k for a sub 3L car is a rather big difference to influence decision making.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:12   #24
BHPian

Almost 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not in the entry-level segment; 20,000 makes a world of difference!. There are some Team-BHP "What car" threads too where the choice of car was determined by 15,000 - 25,000 in difference. Plus, a 20 grand difference in ex-showroom results in larger savings on-road. Taxes & insurance would also be relatively lesser.
Exactly. Comes close to a 10% difference in price and a 10% difference is a big thing at any price point! Whether the 800-Alto or an S-class Merc!

Add to that increase fuel efficiency (from what is already a pretty thrifty engine)! It may well become a challenger to the mileage king, Alto (so what if only in claims) since it is also a 5 speeder. If they publicise it well enough, I guess it could turn the fortunes of GM here!

And on the fuel efficiency thought, how bout an LPG add on (with a toroidal tank)? And I guess squeezing the 1.3 MJD should be possible too! (If it can fit the 500, why not the Matiz?) Will become a sure pocket rocket!
Old 16th October 2008, 14:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
I second this. Driving spark is like driving a toy car.
Not all that bad. I have done many expressway runs on my 800cc Matiz and believe it or not, when you start driving it, it feels bigger than actually it is. Engine is smoother and the car feels heavy even on first gear as compared to that scooter like feel you get in a Maruti 800/Alto being pulled at 1st gear. Gearbox is miles ahead of these cars and I still go above 100 kmph once in a while. Rock solid reliability after 106000 kms and I have not even changed the brake fluid once. I would buy this without thinking twice as another car in the family. Its just troublefree ownership for years except the A/c (which went kaput), I have discussed this in another thread. I have driven it enough to comment on every aspect of this car and have been surprised by its cruising capability on the e'way (well going by the size, lets be realistic and then expect). And the 175 potenzas make the ride even more confidence inspring and I even love the looks of it because of them.

An 800cc Spark has decent potential and this motor has a rated top speed of 133kmph in the Matiz' owners manual and a 0-100 timing of 17.xx seconds I believe which is half of Maruti 800's 34 seconds. It is awesome value for money.
Old 16th October 2008, 14:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

the paddle like accelerator pedal felt kinda funny though
Old 16th October 2008, 17:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the Alto 1.1 existed there were hardly any takers for it, most going in for the 800 cc version for maximum fuel economy.
Old 16th October 2008, 21:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Not all that bad. I have done many expressway runs on my 800cc Matiz and believe it or not, when you start driving it, it feels bigger than actually it is. Engine is smoother and the car feels heavy even on first gear as compared to that scooter like feel you get in a Maruti 800/Alto being pulled at 1st gear. Gearbox is miles ahead of these cars and I still go above 100 kmph once in a while. Rock solid reliability after 106000 kms and I have not even changed the brake fluid once. I would buy this without thinking twice as another car in the family. Its just troublefree ownership for years except the A/c (which went kaput), I have discussed this in another thread. I have driven it enough to comment on every aspect of this car and have been surprised by its cruising capability on the e'way (well going by the size, lets be realistic and then expect). And the 175 potenzas make the ride even more confidence inspring and I even love the looks of it because of them.

An 800cc Spark has decent potential and this motor has a rated top speed of 133kmph in the Matiz' owners manual and a 0-100 timing of 17.xx seconds I believe which is half of Maruti 800's 34 seconds. It is awesome value for money.
This is jus a individual perspective buddy. Ask a person who has been driving the Bolero always to sit in a Scorpio, he will surely say the scorpio is bigger. But actually it would be still smaller inside and there would be so much of body rolls. By the way coming to Spark/Matiz, oh man, dont tell us that you have a very good ride on highways. Keep looking around you and then you will realise that a Bullock cart will take-over
Old 16th October 2008, 23:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Keep looking around you and then you will realise that a Bullock cart will take-over
I think that's a mean thing to say! The Matiz was a fine car and the Spark has just improved on it.

Just look at the number of Matizs still running around (atleast many here in Bangalore) and you will see how these cars have survived without the support of the manufacturer! No small feat!
Old 16th October 2008, 23:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

the spark rode better over small bumps on the road than my indica, and was no slouch on the highway, but doesnt like being fully loaded and driven with a heavy right foot. didnt try cornering too much in it though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks