Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen planning caddy for india

Volkswagen which has been a premium maker in the indian auto segment plans to enter the mass market segment.Not just with a ultra low cost car but also with a taxi on the likes of Tata's indigo and renault's logan.VW officials told reporters at the recently concluded Hanover International Auotomobile Exhibition(IAA)that caddy would be slotted against indica or indigo.''India deserves a good taxi'',Stefan Schaller,board spokesman for VW's commercial vehicle business,toldVolkswagen Caddy

MOD NOTE: Please mention the source of your information when you post a news report

Last edited by Mpower : 15th October 2008 at 17:38.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is this Polo based? I think it would make an awesome taxi.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
''India deserves a good taxi'',Stefan Schaller,board spokesman for VW's commercial vehicle business,
It sure does!! I hope the fiat padmani gets replaced with something modern like this.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is this Polo based? I think it would make an awesome taxi.
Caddy is based on Touran and Touran is in turn based on Mark V golf.
This is negative for the image of VW and rather it will give Skoda image a boost.
Old 15th October 2008, 22:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

if its true,i am impressed with vw cause this would certainly be a very ambitious plan of vw afterall thats what vw was for,besides as far as brand image is concerned they have the audi for high range cars

besides china has vw taxis whats wrong with that
whats the use of having brand image and no sales like the jetta
Old 16th October 2008, 01:15   #6
BHPian

Cars like these would surely do come good to the indian taxi industry, which is rather short of practical options.

I have all my reservations about the price at which it would be made available in the market. VW prices their indian cars rather high.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Caddy Van 2011

Wake up thread!

Recently, Volkswagen has revealed the photos and details of new model, ‘Caddy Van’ which will be sold with four choices of diesel engines such as 75 hp, 102hp, 110 hp or 140hp. The New Commercial Vehicle, Caddy is the smallest model in the range of vans and it will show and arrival in UK Volkswagen Van Centers in November 2010.

The new line of gasoline and diesel engines are equipped with turbocharged direct injection gasoline which carries 55 kW / 75 PS, 75 kW / 102 PS, 81 kW / 110 PS and 103 kW / 140 PS respectively. The new Volkswagen Caddy Van is equipped with the Blue Motion Technology (75 kW / 102 PS) with average consumption: 4.9 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers. Two turbocharged direct injection TSI 1.2-liter petrol engines crank out 86 and 105 PS (63 and 77 kW). The 102-PS unit spews out 154 grams of CO2 per km.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen planning caddy for india-image004.jpg  

Volkswagen planning caddy for india-image005.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 00:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think VW has gone too far with the new face of VW cars, which was started by Scirocco!

now the new face is seen on the caddy! Damn!!

VW stop somewhere
Old 11th August 2010, 08:09   #9
BHPian

If its based upon Volkswagen Touareg, then its likely to be put against Toyota Innova/Tata Aria rather Tata Indigo/Manza.
IMO many of the indian families will never mind going for it provided Volkswagen equips it with sufficient quality and equipment from day one, which is definately going to boost the Brand's image.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
If its based upon Volkswagen Touareg, then its likely to be put against Toyota Innova/Tata Aria rather Tata Indigo/Manza.
It looks like a new avatar of Skoda Roomster. But Caddy looks taller.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen planning caddy for india-98_roomsterx004.jpg  

Last edited by MadRash : 11th August 2010 at 12:06.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
IMO many of the indian families will never mind going for it provided Volkswagen equips it with sufficient quality and equipment from day one, which is definately going to boost the Brand's image.
Not Touareg, that's too high end. The touran is based on a golf, larger
sized golf rather, with the new familiar face as I can see from
VW Touran BlueMotion | Motorward

I think it would create a new segment between the Indigo and the Innova, atleast in size.Pricewise depends on how VW wants to price it.Going by the Polo, I don't think it will be cheap.But in theory, it is a good thought, India deserves better taxis and this one if anything will be lapped up by the high end hotel industry as well as by families. Innova is practical but quite unaffordable for an average upper middle class indian family going by the current prices. This would make the market equation interesting. Good move by VW. But no source has been quoted, so how true is this? Something like 7-8 lakh OTR (wishful thinking?) and diesel power and it will be a super smash hit, never mind the torque and bhp etc. Altis diesel has waiting period already
and priced at 13 lakh upwards OTR.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

VW is planning to showcase 15 cars sometime this month. They plan to call the top notch in the industry from all over India to get their views regarding these cars.

They are in negotiation with a Hotel here in Jaipur for the display+conference. Apparently this is kept as an hush hush event, so I dont have much detail as yet.

Will definitely keep this thread posted as an when and if the function happens.

Last edited by deky : 11th August 2010 at 13:07.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i think VW has gone too far with the new face of VW cars, which was started by Scirocco!

now the new face is seen on the caddy! Damn!!

VW stop somewhere

When I saw the picture, this was precisely the thought that came to my mind, then I saw your post. Now everything from VW seems to look exactly the same, it's not merely a sharing a family grill anymore.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

But the grill and look not withstanding, I think Caddy has a potential to suit large families too and maybe an ideal replacement for the station wagons, provided the pricing is right.
Old 11th August 2010, 16:29   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well, going by the looks, it doesn't impress. Look-wise, it like the new winger better than this.

Most Viewed