Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 07:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ready to pay Toll on SHs? Read on.

Toll on state highways likely-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

From new year, Govt. is planing to get Toll for the state highways.

One way its good, because it will be maintained by public-private partnership.
Hope they ask Toll for the roads and not for the pot holes.

MODs: Not able to decide if this should go in car scene or street exp. Please move it accordingly. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2008, 07:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mjothi : One way its good, because it will be maintained by public-private partnership.
Hope they ask Toll for the roads and not for the pot holes..
Yawn. No guarantees, here either. Maintenance will be apparent for the 1st year, and then slowly deteriorate with time. And at the end of the term, the pvt company will say they have not been able to recover their investment, and the "public" (represented by the govt) will extend the contract. Same old P-P Nexus Inc.

Actually, they will get more money if they toll-charge for the pot-holes.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:23   #3
BANNED

Bangalore-Mysore highway is a SH, right?
If that's the standard they want to maintain by adding tolls, then I don't mind. Nor many other road users would.

Last edited by speedzak : 16th October 2008 at 08:34.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yawn. No guarantees, here either. Maintenance will be apparent for the 1st year, and then slowly deteriorate with time. And at the end of the term, the pvt company will say they have not been able to recover their investment, and the "public" (represented by the govt) will extend the contract. Same old P-P Nexus Inc.

Actually, they will get more money if they toll-charge for the pot-holes.
I know that's common. But lets hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If that's the standard they want to maintain by adding tolls, then I don't mind. Nor many road users would.
Correct. If atleast they can maintain like the ones in TN, its a welcome move.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that's the standard they want to maintain by adding tolls, then I don't mind. Nor many other road users would.
Zak, Even SH17 (Blr - Mysore) has its own share of problems. They have built undesigned speedbreakers and for a first time drive on this stretch it may cause great danger to his vehicle if he accidently misses on of them (specially the one before entering Srirangapatnam).

Well, I didnot mention the villagers, cattles and stuffs yet.

If they start taking toll, will they give a smooth ride (remove the speedbreakers)?

Abhi
Old 16th October 2008, 08:59   #6
BHPian

I feel that making all the highways (or most of them) pay per use would be the way forward. Sooner or later, there will be more accountability in the way these private-public partnerships are being run and that would benefit us in the long run.

Good roads not only benefits the motorist, but also enables and enhances both local and national economy.
Old 16th October 2008, 09:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Zak I don't know if it would be wise to call this stretch a highway anymore since its no different from our city roads and introducing a toll fee booth here is only adding up woes(read more jams and confusion).

As per today's TOI bangalore edition a few more highways are in pipeline for the same.

Unless we have good roads whats the point in introducing a toll ? As a user of these roads I wouldn't mind paying but then if I was to travel across karnataka my 1st question would be where are these toll worthy roads ?
Old 16th October 2008, 09:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
... They have built undesigned speedbreakers and for a first time drive on this stretch it may cause great danger to his vehicle if he accidently misses on of them (specially the one before entering Srirangapatnam).

Well, I didnot mention the villagers, cattles and stuffs yet...
Absolutely! If it is going to be pay&use I would expect a smooth run, not 20 un-marked humps to slow me down! And also proper regulation with respect to traffic - it is a common site to see bullock carts with full load coming on the wrong side, occupying half of the left lane, after Maddur!
Old 16th October 2008, 09:42   #9
BHPian

We pay the highest road tax, fuel charge and have the worst roads. Let them build good roads and then charge toll.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:03   #10
BHPian

all that is fine, But remember that the taxes collected during sales of vehicles etc is supposed to cover for this.
That would only mean mismanagement of our money, after which we now have to pay for roads hich we have already paid for before!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th October 2008, 10:34   #11
BHPian

Some of these so called SH are in pathetic state; they have mentioned toll for Honnali - Shimoga stretch; last week I travelled on this road its a single lane road riddled with potholes with no activity of road expansion or repair.

I have seen the Shimoga - Shikaripura road via Shavlanga getting done up as a 2 way road; no brownie points for guessing why they are taking care to get this done up
Old 16th October 2008, 12:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Except the Bangalore-Mysore SH, i dont see any of these SH are worth paying the toll

But one thing is certain, best place to keep these toll collectors is near those potholes(plenty of places to choose) so that even if u want to show off your vehicle horse power and escape, you cant because of the potholes(natural barricade)
Old 16th October 2008, 12:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
We pay the highest road tax, fuel charge and have the worst roads. Let them build good roads and then charge toll.
You are right! But how many of us do you think would object for that? Even if there is any objection, it would be rubbished. Sad part, who-so-ever is elected by us, we end-up paying!
Old 16th October 2008, 12:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

I enjoyed all the jokes on this... I would welcome this move as there will be some commitment to keep the road decent to drive.

They are going to collect tolls anyways whether we like it or not. So why complain?
Old 16th October 2008, 13:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
They are going to collect tolls anyways whether we like it or not. So why complain?
Exactly my thoughts now after having lunch .You like it or not you end up paying and cribbing as ever. Just another thread of hue and cry. Time to wind up eh ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks