Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2005, 17:41   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
hey, nice pics, wacky!
i think that now, others will get my point- that the magna was, and still remains, a good proposition, and regarding the looks- it's just about perfect for my tastes-kinda has a merc-cut.
and feasibility, well...if any dude from tata is reading this-" please launch the CAR man!!!". i'm pretty sure that the whole lot of team-bhpians (and a whole lot of other car lovers out there)would love to get their hands on this 2.1 litre, 135 bhp, 200 kmph rear wheel drive sedan from tata, even if it were priced around rs 10 lacs!!!
The problem with Tata is their quality levels. It may be acceptable in a low-end vehicle like the Indica or Indigo, but not in the more expensive segment. A luxury car needs good interiors, solid build and a touch of class. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Tata will get there in the future, but it takes time to get things right in the premium market. It took Toyota decades to make Lexus a real competitor to the German marques, and companies like Hyundai are still trying (with the XG). I think Tata should wait and mature a bit more before even attempting to make a luxury RWD sedan.
Old 31st March 2005, 18:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

agreed, tata may not exactly take the fight to a maserati or lexus, but hey, tata is learning, and has recovered from previous faults.
and for quality, tata has been r&d ing the car for the better half of 5 years!! i guess that, coupled with the experience, should be enough to buckle up for the launch, what say!!
and take a look at the pic of the 4-year old prototype: the bodylines seem nice, the shutlines semi-perfect (at least better than the elantra types), and the design, fluid and seamless.
just look at the massive wheel arches!!

and if you look closely, you might notice that the rear wheels seem to show discs!!

tata has always been up with the technology pace, beginning with india's first proper muv, the sierra-i mean which car had tachos and such attractive styling back in 1991?
even 5-speed boxes weren't there!! (except for the diesel contis, i guess).
in fact, the tata sierra was considered a status symbol then, and remained so for many years. i believe that tata is the true pioneer in india for starting off technologically superior cars-remember, the first proper merc in india came from the now extinct concorde motors-a tata enterprise (collaboration with merc).

Last edited by veyron1 : 31st March 2005 at 18:11.
Old 31st March 2005, 18:15   #48
Team-BHP Support

I think I speak for all of us when i say that we would all like to see Tata become a world class auto manufacturer. The way they work and the vision of their leaders means that this is a certainty.

However, it will take time. A long time.

As far as the Magna prototype, well, it looks like a bits & pieces job to me. The front doors seem lifted from an esteem, the rear hangs down at an odd angle and it just looks unfinished on the whole. But this was one of their first attempts. Look at their prototypes now and the difference is amazing.

I'm sure Tata are not even thinking about the Magna today. Its just too old and basic a model. They are too smart for that. When their new car comes, you can be sure it will be a modern looking and well designed car, just as the Indica was when it was launched.
Old 31st March 2005, 19:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Here's a new vtec test report. Sounds good.

new vtec test

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 31st March 2005 at 19:35.
Old 31st March 2005, 19:54   #50
BHPian

nice pics of the magna whacky. not a bad car for exterior mods with a stock 135bhp engine (if it ever comes out)
or else .... civic hai naa
Old 31st March 2005, 20:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

yes, rtech, for sure; i too, hope that tata comes out with their best creation yet. and i have a hunch that if not the magna, then it'll be the aria for sure, which, by the way, will come in 2-door and 4-door versions. like i said before, i just hope that it's rear wheel drive!!
and hey, the doors of the magna don't look like they are from the esteem, from any angle whatsoever man!! and the reason it looks unfinished is because it's a pre-2000, thoroughly abused, non-production prototype!!

and shan2nu, the report does sound good, but what the hell is the author going on about a 1.3 i-dsi engine? and no performance figures!!! besides, he's praising the boot capacity more than what's under the hood!!
Old 31st March 2005, 20:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the idsi there is a 1.3, who knows. Nope, no performance figures, this must be a first impression sorta thing.

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 21:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

a 1.3 i-dsi??? wow!! if such a thing does exist, couldn't the honda dudes have launched it in india, pitting it against the esteem, and the ikon 1.3 flair? i mean, the existing 1.5 retails for about 730,000 on-road (exi). taking to account the difference between the old 1.3 and 1.5, the new 1.3 could have been pegged at approx. 625,000 on-road: which would help in boosting the city's flagging sales, and give the competition some serious load, considering that the esteem retails for about 550,000 (vxi) on-road and the ikon for 540,000!!
i'm sure many would switch to the honda inspite of the price difference-just for the brand name, if not anything else!!
(taken into account-diff. between ex-showroom prices of the old citys-80-90,000 rs).

i guess honda should launch the 1.3 i-dsi as a volume model along with the vtec, eh, what say???
Old 1st April 2005, 13:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

here's the new honda civic for those who wanted a peek....
http://www.overdrive.co.in/art_dtls....7&tblname=news
and it's coming sooner than you think!!
powerwise and performancewise, the civic will take on the corolla and the elantra, head on, and will be priced in the same range approximately. expect it to beat both on all counts.

and sources have informed me that the vtec launch is almost at hand, so expect it anytime now, in the next 2-3 months, probably!!

Last edited by veyron1 : 1st April 2005 at 13:24.
Old 21st April 2005, 14:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

hi nimish- that's the exact same car that's coming to india- and sooner than you expect!!!
but the 15 inchers are doubtful- they might not be offered even as an option.
Old 21st April 2005, 15:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

hey veyron1 i think nimish was talkin about the limited editon like the vity 1.5 limited edition we had 3 years back.
it comes with bodykit and 15 wheels for an extra price
Old 21st April 2005, 16:56   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Iceman,
there is no limited edition of the city 1.5 (in India) that came with 15 inch alloy wheels.
Guys when is the VTEC expected?
Old 21st April 2005, 17:03   #58
BHPian

I remember a sports package of the 1.5 city but a limited edition not sure... when was this ice? the sports package had a stiffer suspension and alloys i guess.
Old 21st April 2005, 17:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

i dint say it came with 15 " wheels.
there was the sports version as harrie said(dom owns one)
and the type 2 had a limited editon when black was available only as a limited edition.had fog lamps,the interior accents were different.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey veyron1 i think nimish was talkin about the limited editon like the city 1.5 limited edition we had 3 years back.
it comes with bodykit and 15 wheels for an extra price
well, ice, what i meant was that the limited ed. NHC will make it to india,with the only diff. being that there won't be any 15 inchers with it.

and the LTD ED. OHC came with 14 inchers. yes, it had different interiors- beige coloured, methinks. and i think the ltd. ed. was offered only in the vtec series- am i right?

and lambo, the NHC vtec is hitting our shores in about 3-4 months (max-could be earlier) or so-mentioned elsewhere in this topic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks