Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2005, 16:01   #61

Hi Guys,

Am Prashanth Rao from Bangalore.

Just joined the group!! Am on the verge of booking the new Honda City Exi model...

The dealer is not reveling anything about the Vtec. Should i hang on or go ahead with the booking..

Your replys will be really helpful.

Thanks,

Prashanth
Old 25th April 2005, 16:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

If your concern does not include revving and racing the car against others why not go ahead and book the car. The City is a damn good car. Only if it were cheaper.
Old 25th April 2005, 19:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is not reveling anything about the Vtec. Should i hang on or go ahead with the booking..
The thing is that Honda isn't sure whether bringing the City Vtec would be a good option as they also plan to launch the Civic. According to dealers, it's gonna be a fight between the 2 cars, only one off them might be launched, nobody knows which one.

Shan2nu
Old 25th April 2005, 21:26   #64
BHPian

Somehow I didn't quite catch the point of launching a V-tec of a powered-down machine... doesn't the V-tec ensure quicker accn...? Whats the point if this car has been toned down for 'City' use, then why bother to have a V-tec option...?! Just my opinion, thats all...
Old 25th April 2005, 23:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
The thing is that Honda isn't sure whether bringing the City Vtec would be a good option as they also plan to launch the Civic. According to dealers, it's gonna be a fight between the 2 cars
I dont see why this should be a problem. Both these cars are happily co-existing in countries like Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. The VTEC manual should come in at the same price as the CVT.
Old 25th April 2005, 23:51   #66
BHPian

however i dont think the new vtec will be able to putperform the old v-tec..the older one was in its own class!
Old 26th April 2005, 00:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

well, fieroid, the new vtec will definitely be as good as the old one in terms of performance (engine, and straight line). but yes, it might not be able to hold a candle to the old one in terms of handling- the new one will definitely have more body roll around the corners.

and prashanth, if patience is one of your virtues, i suggest you wait- be it the vtec or the civic, you will have know for sure within the next quarter as to which car you should go in for; but be prepared to shell out about 2-2.5 lacs more than the current city's sticker tags.

if budget's a constraint, then go right ahead- the existing one is a very good and practical option.

and aveek, the logic behind offering the cars with normal and variable timing gear is simple- to give variety to the consumer, maintain the low-cost factor (as opposed to going in for an entirely new powerplant- for ex; the optra 1.6 and 1.8), and provide more power for each buck.
Old 27th April 2005, 19:01   #68

Hi Guys,

Thanks a ton, u made my day !! i will go ahead & book the NHC.. I think the Exi is a better option than the GXI . Any feedback??

BTW, should i sell or retain my 5 year old cutie MATIZ SD, done about 58K, ( Jan 2000 model), excellent condition .. Great car, no problems.. Only Daewoo screwed it up?!! What in ur opinion is its value in the market today, if i decide to Sell?

All replys eagerly awiated.

Thanks,

Prashanth
Old 27th April 2005, 19:10   #69
BANNED

Hey Prashant.

Congo on your decision. There is a package going on in Ichibaan. The Exi is available at the price of the Gxi with all its features leaving the beige interiors. Its having a Ced player from Alpine.
Old 28th April 2005, 10:32   #70
BHPian

New Honda City

What about ground clearance of New Honda City?Is its power sufficient for crusing on highways?I have read that a car must be 100bhp/ton for satisfactory performance results.
Please suggest.
Old 28th April 2005, 12:48   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881
What about ground clearance of New Honda City?Is its power sufficient for crusing on highways?I have read that a car must be 100bhp/ton for satisfactory performance results.
Please suggest.
The power is more then adequate for the car. Wont let you down. But then nothing to crave about as its no where in OHC territory.
Old 28th April 2005, 15:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

hey prashant,

go right ahead!! but are there ichibaans in bangalore, montoya??

i suggest you hold on to your matiz, as you won't get more than 90,000-1.0 lac for it (ongoing market rate- might get a few G's more, depending on the condition, or on finding the right bakra ) you can blame the daewoo dudes for this!! you can use the matiz as a second city car or something....

besides, i guess the car must be giving you an average F.E of at least 16-17 kmpl, so there's no reason to sell it now- and in case you want to, i've already mentioned the price...

and abhi, the ground clearance isn't a big factor while cruisin' on the highways- the toyota prado with about 220 mm of ground clearance will chug along happily beside the city (new; ground clearance 160 mm) at speeds of over 170 kmph.

and if you mentioned the ground clearance for the occassional rocks or as such- courtesy india- well, get this; you can be as assured about the city as an accent or the OHC.

and yes, the power to weight ratio is an important factor for achieving good performance-but it also depends upon the engine, and power delivery; for example, the esteem has a power:weight ratio of 97.1 bhp/tonne, whereas the baleno has a power:weight ratio of 96.4 bhp/tonne- but in the real world, the baleno beats the esteem after 100 kmph.

so, not just power to weight ratio, but the engine power, torque, dynamics, and delivery is also important. but yes, theoretically, a performance car should have at least 100 bhp/tonne to deliver decent performance.

Last edited by veyron1 : 28th April 2005 at 16:03.
Old 28th April 2005, 16:51   #73
BHPian

Scheme on NHC

Is there any scheme on NHC Exi in Delhi/Haryana?
Old 28th April 2005, 23:12   #74
BANNED

Hey Veyron and Abhi i dont know whether the scheme going on over there in delhi and i dont think that Ichibaan is there in Delhi. Al so i dont think the scheme is a good one. As the Exi is coming at the same price of the Gxi minus the beige interiors the height adjustable drivers seat but with a Alpine CD changer whos market price is just 400Rs apart. But there is no MP3 player so i dont think its worth it. Rather pick up a Gxi and then change the music system. Pick up the Gxi if you want the beige interiors. Other wise Exi is also pretty good but i prefer the beige. Yes Veyron your right that the NHC cruises well on the highwayat 170 plus. Yesterday while returning back i had floored the pedal and then i realised it was on 160kmph. But at that speed the OHC tends to be very noisy. I mean the wind noise. Reason being the raked windscreen and te short bonnet. Also its not as sporty as the OHC. The OHC used to real pull like crazy but then thats a different car althogether. Its handles better the NHC and is faster as well. But the NHC is faster in gear acceleration. Rest the NHC scores more than the OHC in the other paramenters and Veyron IMO the Esteem has 99bhp per tonne Power to weight(Correct me if i am wrong) and its faster till 100 then the Baleno. Then the baleno is in its own territory
Old 30th April 2005, 17:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

ummm.. montoya, the esteem has a power to weight ratio of 97.1 bhp/tonne- that is, a kerb weight of 875 kg, and engine power of 85 bhp (well, okay, 84.3); and not 99 bhp/ tonne.
calculate thus- (1000 x power, in bhp, of the car) divided by kerb weight- and you get the power to weight ratio.

and for the stability- the OHC, (vtec) had good stability upto 160 km/h- after which the steering felt a little too lifeless, and the handling was slightly hairy. but the try taking a curve at 160 kmph on the new city, and you'll know what i'm talking about- the new city rolls like rishi kapoor on skates; whereas the old one always used to remain glued to the tarmac, and body roll was non-existent.

i say so, because i have taken some pretty angled and steeped curves at 170km/h+ on the OHC vtec, and it didn't even squeal in protest; i tried the same at 135 kmph in the NHC, and it rolled more than the giant wheel in esselworld!!! of course, i'm exaggerating, but there is a definite diff. in handling between the two....

and as for the windshield rake angle, get this- it's almost the same on the new city as on the old!! and the length of the hood on the new city is actually shorter than the old one!!

also, i am assuming that you mean roll-on figures, when you are saying in-gear acceleration; and in that respect, i'm sorry, you're mistaken- the roll-on figures might only seem faster, but in fact, they are slower than the old city!!

that is mainly because, the old city 1.5 had 128 nm of torque, and the vtec had 132 nm of torque, both of which were produced at 4600 and 4700 r.p.m respectively. the new city produces 125 nm of torque at 2700 r.p.m- which should translate to better roll-ons; but that only happens in the 5th gear, and from 50 kmph or so. if you do the roll-on figures on the OHC vtec and the NHC, you'll find that the OHC is faster in the 3rd and 4th gear roll-ons. but in the 5th, the NHC takes the cake.

and yes, the esteem is faster till 100 kmph, after which the baleno leaves it for dead-but i did mention that earlier- i said that the baleno is faster after 100 kmph......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks