Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:53   #31
BHPian

News..dont know whether good or bad..

Guys I went for the survey today at Tivoli Garden. As stated earlier it is for Peugeot only. They are planning a comeback in the Indian market. In fact it’s a joint effort of Peugeot and Citroen.

Now where do I start from??? Alright, my friend from Mumbai had coordinated with the IMRD people here in Delhi and got a call today morning confirming the time I would be coming. I went there in the afternoon at 12. After a brief intro session we started with the survey. It was a bloody long questionnaire. There were 80 pages of questions to answer and took a little less than 3 hours.

The cars included in the survey are the VW Passat, Honda CRV, Peugeot 308 SW, some 5 series Beemer, Peugeot 407, Citroen Grand C4 Picasso and Citroen C5 Saloon.

Although all the cars were taped around all the logos and tags but I could easily make out the Passat and CRV for obvious reasons. The identity of the cars was revealed after the survey was over.
Peugeot is trying to check the feasibility of the market. They are thinking of launching the 308 SW.
The pricing is what is RIDICULOUS!! As per the information provided to IMRD by Peugeot, the 308 will be offered with 3 engine options 2.0L petrol, 1.6L diesel and 2.0L diesel. The petrol engine will have 3 variants ranging from 20lacs to 24lacs. The 1.6L diesel engine for around 26lacs and the 2.0L diesel for almost 30lacs.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso also with the same 3 engine options. Prices for Picasso were ranging from 18lacs to 26lacs.
There wasnt any technical detail available about the engines and nothing about the trim levels either. I was told that Peugeot plans to enter the market with the petrol engine and later on bring in the diesel power plant. Another thing is that they are not planning to develop any new engine for the Indian market. Peugeot 407 and Citroen C5 are just for display.

The result of the study will be out by the end of this month. Will keep you guys updated!!
The coordinator of IMRD asked me about my opinion and I told him just make sure you keep the prices realistic and provide a good service network. I told him I am a member of Team-bhp and guess what he knew about us. Told him to take our reviews, complaints and suggestions seriously . He has asked me to get people from Team-bhp to visit them and take part in the survey. They welcome are expert comments. Its there till Friday evening. I also got a Shoppers Stop 1000 bucks gift voucher as a token of appreciation.
If anyone of you wants to go just let me know I will ask the IMRD guy to talk with you can coordinate.
P.S. some of us here wanted a softcopy of the questionnaire. I will pass it on as soon as I get it. Sorry guys wasnt allowed to take pics there so I am posting pics from the net only.

Grand C4 Picasso
Feasibility study ON for mysterious new C/D segment car in Delhi EDIT: Its Citroen-c4_picasso_mountain_top.jpg
Citroen C5
Feasibility study ON for mysterious new C/D segment car in Delhi EDIT: Its Citroen-c5.jpg
Peugeot 308 SW
Feasibility study ON for mysterious new C/D segment car in Delhi EDIT: Its Citroen-peugeot308swprologue.jpg
Peogeot 407
Name:  2060314.009.1M.jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by white_vdi : 22nd October 2008 at 19:01.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well looks like there's going to be added confusion to the already confused future buyers.

For instance me .
I was thinking what car i will upgrade to after my vRs.
Looks like i will have many options by the end of 3-4 years.

What peugeot and citreon need to do is a proper service background because without that , they will be a complete failure.

EDIT : White VDi , please PM me your number , i might go on friday.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 22nd October 2008 at 18:59.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:28   #33

Just a thought guys but i just cannot imagine buying a 20 lakh citroen or a pugeot . Are the company guys really crazy in pricing these cars in the 20 lakh + catagory?.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

French Humor Luv em
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:04   #35
evo
BHPian

whoa, you dilliwallas are real lucky, I doubt automakers would ever do a clinic in cal!
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:40   #36
BHPian

they must be dreaming, the very word Peugeot is a dirty word in India, they'll have to give away the car.
Old 22nd October 2008, 20:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
They are thinking of launching the 308 SW.
The pricing is what is RIDICULOUS!! As per the information provided to IMRD by Peugeot, the 308 will be offered with 3 engine options 2.0L petrol, 1.6L diesel and 2.0L diesel. The petrol engine will have 3 variants ranging from 20lacs to 24lacs. The 1.6L diesel engine for around 26lacs and the 2.0L diesel for almost 30lacs.
They must be daydreaming !! Hopefully the results of the survey can knock them back to their senses.
308 is not even a proper D-segment car. Heck its not even a car but a hatch/wagon. I would'nt pay anything more than Jetta type money for 308. Even the 407 has to come in between an Accord and a Passat to make any sense.

PS: How was the interior finish on these vehicles.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd October 2008 at 21:00.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:36   #38
BHPian

guys if anyone of you happens to pay them a visit just tell them you own a D-segment car. say anything and be confident about it

@ mpower: finish was good on all the models. felt like cars well done and solid.

found the interior of Picasso real odd though. instrument console in the middle like the indica vista.
C5 had no storage space in the front. a real loser!!
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

The C5 is a bloody good looking car. C pillar onwards it's quite Audiesque which is a good thing. Dead on front too, the car looks very good. Interiors are good too, I love the short stubby gear lever. The only thing is that there are too many buttons for the HVAC, Stereo etc. and it looks quite cluttered.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Yes, the c5 looks very good. Such a flowing shape it has got.

But not any of the others seems to be very impressive. c4 is also a good looking vehicle, but the pricing spoils the looks
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:55   #41
BHPian

Guys Even I went yesterday for that pain taking 3 Hrs Questionnare from the French makers

I Think most of the info has been already shared by fellow Bhpian, here is my take on the cars:-

Citroen C5 Sedan:-

Exteriors:-

Looks really cool & Huge
Lots of Glass to mkae it feel roomy
Paint Job fantastic
17" Inches - Fantastic Alloy wheels with Michelin rubbers
Didn't like one thing in the Bumper, despite having fog lamps, there were spaces left for the Indica size 2 fog lamps in the lower portion of the bumper, I don't know for what reason and even they didn't had any answer for that, was looking bit out of the place
No Hid's or Xenon Lamps but Headlight washers
Rear looks inspired from BMW's

Interiors:-

Getting in Quite easy
Bucket seats, quite like them
Clocks quite small with Orange light and Display
First impression, Modern contemprary interiors with Cockpit like switches
Small chunky steering wheel with tons of switches (Crusie control, Music controls and for some info on small screen out there)
Quality had build to last feel
Fabric seats in Grey & black with Silver inserts on Dash and Door panels
Good outside visibility but rear visibilty is nothing just few inches
Cabin in rear felt cramped for its size
Fabric seats no Leather seats
6 Airbags
No Sunroof
No cubby holes to put even smallest of things, you cannot put anything more than car papers in dashboard

Know Engines:-

Petrol 3 Trims:- Starting from 26.7 till 31 for top of the line

Diesel (2 Engines wih 2 Trims each):- 1.6 and 2.0 Ltr HDI
Starts from 29+ and goes for Top of the line 33+

Overall verdict

Typical European car with excellent built and Quality and Same European thing Schocker of a prices for us. I think these French makers are again looking for a Exit gate without even an Entry.

Peugot 407 SE Sedan:-

Exteriors:-

Looks Ok
Lots of Glass to mkae it feel roomy
Paint Job Ok
16" Inches - Alloy wheels with Michelin rubbers (Similar to old Accord)
Shark like front grille
No Hid's or Xenon Lamps but Headlight washers
Side curves and lines make it quite similar with old Accord
Rear looks similar to Linea

Interiors:-

Getting in Quite easy
Seats ok
First impression, Decade Old interiors with So many switches actually confuses you, Small chunky steering wheel with nothing on it except Logo
Clocks with white background and Orange light and Display
Quality had build to last feel
Fabric seats in Grey & black with Silver inserts on Dash and Door panels
Good outside visibility & rear visibilty ok
Cabin in rear felt ok for its size
Fabric seats no Leather seats
4 Airbags
No Sunroof
Ok type cubby holes to put only your necessary stuff

Know Engines:-

Petrol 3 Trims:- Starting from 22.3 till 26 for top of the line

Diesel (2 Engines wih 2 Trims each):- 1.6 and 2.0 Ltr HDI
Starts from 24+ and goes for Top of the line 27+

Overall verdict

Exterior looks cool but interior nothing great to write other than quality.

Again Schocker of a prices for what is on offer and what competition provides. Again I think these French makers are again looking for a Exit gate without even an Entry.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

c5 is gorgeous. They should provide a good network and have cars in all ranges and not only in the post 20 lc segment. Start small so you will know the actual problems rather than launching a higher segment car and then coming to smaller once

Peugot 407 SE Sedan:- Who helped them get their pricing?? I thought only skoda was on POT! 29 lcs they insane??

Last edited by maddy42 : 23rd October 2008 at 12:00. Reason: Read the next post so i wanted to comment
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

About the pricing, let's remember that the high prices are because the cars going to be CBU's. In case of C5, it's supposed to be a E class segment car due to which, I guess, setting up a manufacturing facility is not feasable. As for the smaller Peugeot's and Citroen's, unless they go in for heavy localisation, their small cars also will be priced out of reckoning.

Seems like the French are stuck between the devil and the deep sea. Best way out would be follow Hyundai's example of entering India but that will take time and I guess they want to rush in to the Indian market asap. These guys are paying for being slow movers. The western auto market is going to melt really bad in the next few months and they don't have a presence in the emerging markets to off set the decline in their home continent.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to see the Peugeot 206 here in India! competing with the Honda City/Jazz segment.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:59   #45
BHPian

Why they dont want to introduces C4 and C3 hatch? Both are fantastic machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks