Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 09:47   #31
BHPian

Great news Rahul....Much appreciated...I was almost sold on the VX for need of the ABS and EBD...Now the wait begins for the GX.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:04   #32
BHPian

Why not all the manufctures make ABS as standard across all the models?
Old 9th December 2008, 17:56   #33
BHPian

Any chance that the GX model will have roof-integrated rear AC vents as in Grande?

The current rear-AC fitment in the Safari looks like an after-thought and a definite eye soar.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 9th December 2008 at 18:05.
Old 9th December 2008, 18:24   #34
BHPian

waah, what a news.
I hope its confirmed from some reliable resources.
EX with ABS is an excellent step from TATA.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
They should add traction control and ESP more importantly, for the VX version and move down the bags to the GX.
yeah, this sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Well the news is confirmed that it is coming..
kb100 pray it comes before or in March'09
I called Manipal motors today to inquire on GX. The guy didn't knew anything about it, or may be he doesn't want to hamper any chances of a sale in these tough times.
Old 10th December 2008, 20:49   #36
BHPian

The Safari is a great vehicle as far as comfort goes. I owned an earlier version some time back. But never felt the lack of ABS in it, as my Octavia at that time did not have ABS either. I think ABS just prevents wheel lockup and has negligible impact on breaking distance, though it boosts driver confidence.

But if Tata brings out a 4WD Safari with 2.2 Dicor engine and ABS within Rs 10 lac band ex showroom Kochi, ie Rs 30k premium over EX 4x4, they have one very interested buyer in me. Hope they brought back the 3.0 Dicor grille also.
Old 10th December 2008, 23:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yeldo:

ABS reduces braking distances in wet and slippery surfaces. On dry surfaces actually you can stop faster without ABS. However, preventing wheel lock up also prevents the likely hood of skidding out of control.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The Safari is a great vehicle as far as comfort goes. I owned an earlier version some time back. But never felt the lack of ABS in it, as my Octavia at that time did not have ABS either. I think ABS just prevents wheel lockup and has negligible impact on breaking distance, though it boosts driver confidence.

But if Tata brings out a 4WD Safari with 2.2 Dicor engine and ABS within Rs 10 lac band ex showroom Kochi, ie Rs 30k premium over EX 4x4, they have one very interested buyer in me. Hope they brought back the 3.0 Dicor grille also.
Yup,love that grill and its wheel cover.

Check for youtube video posted by tsk which shows how useful ABS etc is in real scenario.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:20   #39
BHPian

Did anyone test how good the Safari's ABS + EBD story is? I remember reading in some earlier thread that this feature on the VX needs some refinement
Old 11th December 2008, 12:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Hope they brought back the 3.0 Dicor grille also.
Even if they don't, you can always swap! The two grills are dimensionally identical and can be exchanged.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:56   #41
BHPian

Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Yeldo:

ABS reduces braking distances in wet and slippery surfaces. On dry surfaces actually you can stop faster without ABS. However, preventing wheel lock up also prevents the likely hood of skidding out of control.
Sir, for those of us who learned driving on nearly bald tired Mahindra Jeeps and Ambassadors, we pump the pedal several times while braking to prevent lock up. (just a belief- no claims on its effectiveness ). Now most of my cars have ABS, and I cannot do that anymore.

Coming to the Safari, I feel its disproportionately tall body is more of an unnerving factor than the possibility of a wheel lock up. Honestly, I never had any wheel lock up issues with my Safari. But, ABS is welcome any day on any car, especially if you are paying a 7 figure price.

BTW, it seems that there is no news from Tata on the Safari GX- the dealers are clueless. And I think I might have to go for a Xylo next month, if it has a 4x4 version.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:26   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

ABS or Not

Xylo 4X4 does not seem too logical. A Inova type MPV, in 4X4. Hope it's there but have my doubts.

Have heard from Safari users with ABS that the experience with ABS is more unnerving that it was earlier without in earlier iterations. Have not driven the ABS version enough to form my openion.

But yes if a driver does know the pumping action / method and the vehicle well the stopping distance can actually be lesser without ABS, (Feel I fall in that category but one never know when ones concentration is low during an emergency situation / watery night and goofs up.) but I guess ABS is the way to go going ahead.

They should have kept ABS, Airbags as options in EX model along with 4X4. The VX could have been limited to luxary feature upgrades.

Why dont they discontinue the 2Ltr TCIC engines in the price book, who buys them?
Old 18th December 2008, 21:07   #43
BHPian

[quote=ACM;1098805]

But yes if a driver does know the pumping action / method and the vehicle well the stopping distance can actually be lesser without ABS, (Feel I fall in that category but one never know when ones concentration is low during an emergency situation / watery night and goofs up.) but I guess ABS is the way to go going ahead.

They should have kept ABS, Airbags as options in EX model along with 4X4. The VX could have been limited to luxary feature upgrades.

Happy to learn that I might be not that stupid afterall, and that there are people who know and trust the technique.cheers:

Called the Tata dealer today also, but no news yet. Unless we get something concrete, this discussion seems to be heading nowhere.
Old 21st December 2008, 15:19   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move this by TATA.
The only differences in the EX and the VX are-

Music system - CD player(EX) DVD Player(VX)
Center console finish - cubic printed(EX) wood finished(VX)
Alloys(Not in EX 4x2)

and the ABS plus Airbags.

Now, if TATAs launching a GX(EX with ABS) won't it hurt the VX sales?
Wonder is it because of this fact that they left out the Airbags??
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

as per my contact in TML, there is no new version of the Safari coming out anytime soon. Of course, he is with the ERC, so may not have complete visibility on the marketing side of things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks