Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:19   #46
BHPian

it makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Sir, for those of us who learned driving on nearly bald tired Mahindra Jeeps and Ambassadors, we pump the pedal several times while braking to prevent lock up. (just a belief- no claims on its effectiveness ). Now most of my cars have ABS, and I cannot do that anymore.

Coming to the Safari, I feel its disproportionately tall body is more of an unnerving factor than the possibility of a wheel lock up. Honestly, I never had any wheel lock up issues with my Safari. But, ABS is welcome any day on any car, especially if you are paying a 7 figure price.

BTW, it seems that there is no news from Tata on the Safari GX- the dealers are clueless. And I think I might have to go for a Xylo next month, if it has a 4x4 version.
If you go through the whole buzz and talks around the webspace about Xylo you will understand why Xylo could be a 4X4.. they say Xylo is not 'revolutionary' it is 'evolutionary'. they are not aiming it to function like a MPV but like an evolutionary car which should be better than MPVs, SUVs and sedans. they have tried to satisfy various needs of the people in one car..rumour has it that this is one of their first step towards eco-engineered vehicles..the Xylo is stylish enough to be taken to a party, or do a road trip with more friends sitting in the same car..and i would personally love to have a car where more friends can sit, the more the merrier.. even though scorpio can fit in a lot of people but it start getting cramped if you try fitting the eigth person..with a wider body they should be able to solve that problem.. and for everyday commuting also i think carpooling is gaining a lot of mileage not just from the environmentalist but from all of us who are sick and tired of the traffic and pollution..then the engine for Xylo is the same as MPV or even better..so no point calling it a MPV when it behaves like an suv..if you see its website :: XYLO :: and go the section "1 million" it has been gruelly tested for all condition..it doesnt look like a delicate darling to me..so a 4WD just makes it more useful and whats the problem if the engine can support it!
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpente View Post
If you go through the whole buzz and talks around the webspace about Xylo you will understand why Xylo could be a 4X4.. they say Xylo is not 'revolutionary' it is 'evolutionary'. they are not aiming it to function like a MPV but like an evolutionary car which should be better than MPVs, SUVs and sedans. they have tried to satisfy various needs of the people in one car..rumour has it that this is one of their first step towards eco-engineered vehicles..the Xylo is stylish enough to be taken to a party, or do a road trip with more friends sitting in the same car..and i would personally love to have a car where more friends can sit, the more the merrier.. even though scorpio can fit in a lot of people but it start getting cramped if you try fitting the eigth person..with a wider body they should be able to solve that problem.. and for everyday commuting also i think carpooling is gaining a lot of mileage not just from the environmentalist but from all of us who are sick and tired of the traffic and pollution..then the engine for Xylo is the same as MPV or even better..so no point calling it a MPV when it behaves like an suv..if you see its website :: XYLO :: and go the section "1 million" it has been gruelly tested for all condition..it doesnt look like a delicate darling to me..so a 4WD just makes it more useful and whats the problem if the engine can support it!
Do you work for M&M or a vendor? You seem to be believer in xylo. Any thoughts on its looks? Price for a version with ABS?

BH.
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:28   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpente View Post
the Xylo is stylish enough to be taken to a party
Maybe OT but what exactly does this mean? Stylish enough to be taken to a party?
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:48   #49
BHPian

Why tata need another model ? why dont they make ABS optional with LX and EX ?
Old 24th December 2008, 08:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Maybe OT but what exactly does this mean? Stylish enough to be taken to a party?
Maybe a children's birthday party? Nothing like a 4x4 Xylo with 31 inch Mud Terrain tires to impress the young ones
Old 24th December 2008, 09:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Maybe a children's birthday party? Nothing like a 4x4 Xylo with 31 inch Mud Terrain tires to impress the young ones
Maybe it means that you will have enough space in the vehicle to haul all those drunk-and-out friends of yours and drop them at their doors.

But hey, lets wait and watch. Maybe we might just have a pleasant surprise from the company!
Old 24th December 2008, 20:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
as per my contact in TML, there is no new version of the Safari coming out anytime soon. Of course, he is with the ERC, so may not have complete visibility on the marketing side of things.
Can you ask him the following questions?
  1. Who developed the Dicor 2.2 engine? (Tata or AVL?)
  2. Is Tata merely license-manufacturing the engine?
  3. Whether the same engine is used in Mahindra Hawk in a different state of tune just like Fiat 1.3 is used in Indica/Palio/Swift?
Both Tata and Mahindra don't talk much about the ancestry of this engine and I suspect the engine simply isn't theirs.
Old 24th December 2008, 22:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Can you ask him the following questions?
  3. Whether the same engine is used in Mahindra Hawk in a different state of tune just like Fiat 1.3 is used in Indica/Palio/Swift?
Both Tata and Mahindra don't talk much about the ancestry of this engine and I suspect the engine simply isn't theirs.
1) AVL
3) Fuel injection by Delphi and for M&M by Bosch
Old 25th December 2008, 11:06   #54
BHPian

[quote=directinjection;1105803]Can you ask him the following questions?
Answers
1) The 2.2-liter engine block (just a cuboid with 4 holes in it) is borrowed from Renault and given to AVL for development. Delphi took care of the electronics. I can confirm this as someone very close to me works for TML.

2) No idea about that

3) Both the Mahindra Scorpio and the Tata Safari use the same 2.2-liter block, but other aspects of the engine such as the bore and stroke, design of crankshaft and piston and other components are different. You can read this article from BS Motoring to know more Check out the bottom right of the page where the "Sound Engine-Ering" and "Noiseless" explain the techy side of both the engines. Hope I helped you! Merry Christmas
Attached Thumbnails
Enters Safari GX-bs07.jpg  

Enters Safari GX-bs08.jpg  

Old 24th January 2009, 18:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, any updates on the GX version? I need to pick up a Safari 4x4 soon.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys, any updates on the GX version? I need to pick up a Safari 4x4 soon.
Where is the thread starter? he should reply on this!
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:09   #57
BHPian

hey guys good news is that Safari new variant GX has been updated in model list so u can expect a mid march or first week of april launch for this model.

Also for Sumo Grande lovers a new 9 seater model is coming ... & Xenon XT has come to production this month so can expect a early launch
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Also for Sumo Grande lovers a new 9 seater model is coming ... & Xenon XT has come to production this month so can expect a early launch
You mean with the side facing seats? or have they added one extra seat near the driver as they used to do earlier? Also, any reduction in the price or a face lift? Atleast some sticker job?
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Sir, for those of us who learned driving on nearly bald tired Mahindra Jeeps and Ambassadors, we pump the pedal several times while braking to prevent lock up...

My most memorable experiences of driving in Chennai city are in an old Ambassador petrol (not the 1.8ISZ)...and I have done the brake-pedal-pumping thing many times, BUT...not for the reason you mentioned : it was to build up the brake fluid pressure and ensure that the brakes acted more effectively. This actually indicated that the brakes were not very effective in the above mentioned vehicles. Of course, with bald tyres, it is a different story altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
hey guys good news is that Safari new variant GX has been updated in model list so u can expect a mid march or first week of april launch for this model....
I guess you are referring to the list available at some dealer outlet...because I dont see the update on the web-site. Tata Motors usually update the web-site without much delay.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 3rd February 2009 at 12:47.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

I guess you are referring to the list available at some dealer outlet...because I dont see the update on the web-site. Tata Motors usually update the web-site without much delay.

Well web sites are updated after launch ... production list is updated before launch. I am taking about that.

Edit: Also a TCIC engine option for Grande in coming for all versions

Edit: Also a new colour will get introduced Walnut Gold & will be available in 4x2 & 4x4 versions

Last edited by 007 Bond : 3rd February 2009 at 13:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks