Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 14:18   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I don't know what magazines you have been reading, please point me in the direction of these articles.

Here have a little read : http://www.ovat.be/Artikels/Steering...utoExpress.pdf
I tried searching the net, but could not find a site which describes how to break a gear lock. Let alone an easy way.

If you can find one, can you please post the same. I am specifically talking about gear locks and not steering locks.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
I tried searching the net, but could not find a site which describes how to break a gear lock. Let alone an easy way.

If you can find one, can you please post the same. I am specifically talking about gear locks and not steering locks.
They are not very popular in Europe. Gear locks are only popular in a few asian countries. I would have thought the local automags would have done a real review by now.

I guess the basis will be the same, brute force or using tools to break the locking mechanism.

This site has some nice tools for the wannabe thief / locksmith : DealExtreme Search: lock
This device DealExtreme: $23.99 EAGLE Manual Pick Gun (Upward) is said to be suitable for two-side-gear Auto Locks. Its not very expensive either.

I have no affiliation with the above site but have used it in the past to buy electronics gear.

Last edited by bigman : 29th October 2008 at 14:44.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

the problem is scorpio Lx does not come with engine immobilizer. the scorpio SLX, now SLE and the VLX & VLS comes with password enabled immobilizer which can be deactivated only after you enter the password set by you. this should deter theives. but as gd1418 said, i have no idea if our smart thieves have a found a way out of this too!

@ dry ice: please do contact your mahindra dealer. i have read that mahindra dealers help you find your stolen cars. register with them and they will inform you if ever your stolen car is taken to any mahindra dealer anywhere in india. i dont know how effective this is and i also know that nobody will give a stolen car to a dealer for repairs, but you can still try your luck.
Old 29th October 2008, 21:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the problem is scorpio Lx does not come with engine immobilizer. the scorpio SLX, now SLE and the VLX & VLS comes with password enabled immobilizer which can be deactivated only after you enter the password set by you. this should deter theives. but as gd1418 said, i have no idea if our smart thieves have a found a way out of this too!
There is usually a bypass method but unless you have the correct computer program to calculate you codes etc based on some vehicle parameter you will not get past it. Programs to work out the bypass code are available off the net for some cars. As to whether theives will carry netbooks to work out codes...I doubt it, plus added problem of getting access to the actual app.

Before someone asks I know this because a friend had a problem whereby a sunroof leaked and damaged some sensors which meant it had to be bypassed to start it. This involved working out the bypass code and then turning the ignition on and off in a sequence/routine to bypass. The routine was worked out using a computer program. Took a few attempts but it was eventually bypassed and started.

Last edited by bigman : 29th October 2008 at 21:14.
Old 29th October 2008, 23:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

i dont think indian thieves are as advanced yet, LOL... one thing i request all scorpio owners is please change your default password which is the same for all scorpios. its very easy and clearly specified in the manual. the animated explanation is also shown clearly in the DVD we get along with the car (VLX and VLS). you can save your scorpio!
Old 29th October 2008, 23:34   #51
BHPian

If people can break the Windows OS Security immediately after launching then whats is the big deal in breaking a anti theft security ?
Old 29th October 2008, 23:44   #52
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
If people can break the Windows OS Security immediately after launching then whats is the big deal in breaking a anti theft security ?
There are no millions of thieves like for OS.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

bigman your friend sounds like one of the guys straight from Gone in 60 seconds.

Well hope the scorpio is got back or if not atleast a reimbursement is done so that a new vvehicle can be brought soon. That gets me to the oint that i got to add some security system for my vehicle
Old 30th October 2008, 18:19   #54

Though This thread has gone a bit Haywire, I would like to know the following..And no, i am no car theif!!

1. How does the immobiliser in the Scorpio work and which models have it?

2. How does one arm the car?

3. How does one Disarm the car?

4. As written in one of the posts above, are all scorpios with a default code?

5. If a car is stolen, And the immobiliser is on, are there other ways of disarming the car?

Hope someone can give me detailed answers about this but taking ONLY the scorpio in mind.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:55   #55
BHPian

will surely look out for the car.
in the meanwhile i request all the tbhpians to use gear lock. its a must specially in delhi NCR.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:41   #56
BHPian

Thats sad to hear...
But inform the RTO as your vehicle can be used for illegal/anti-national activities. So be clear from your side. Ask police for a Copy of the FIR clearly mentioning date / time and spot from where the vehicle is missing.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 30th October 2008 at 23:42. Reason: spelling correction
Old 30th October 2008, 23:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Though This thread has gone a bit Haywire, I would like to know the following..And no, i am no car theif!!

1. How does the immobiliser in the Scorpio work and which models have it?

2. How does one arm the car?

3. How does one Disarm the car?

4. As written in one of the posts above, are all scorpios with a default code?

5. If a car is stolen, And the immobiliser is on, are there other ways of disarming the car?

Hope someone can give me detailed answers about this but taking ONLY the scorpio in mind.
the immobilizer is avilable in SLE, VLS and VLX models.

the car is automatically armed when you lock the car with the remote and unarmed when you open with the remote. however, it is not armed if you lock it with the key. in case you remote battery gets packed up and you have to open your car with the key, the alarm and the immobilizer will be activated which can be deactivated only after you have entered your password. else, the car wont start.

i think all scorpios have a default password.

the car cant be stolen if the immobilizer is on as the engine wont start. even if the thief tows away the car, what will he do with a car whose engine wont start? unless as somebody said, he is smart enough to deactivate the immobilizer through progamming.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:56   #58
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
even if the thief tows away the car, what will he do with a car whose engine wont start? unless as somebody said, he is smart enough to deactivate the immobilizer through progamming.
Can't he just remove it? The same way it was fitted?
Old 31st October 2008, 00:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

what will he do after he removes the engine? tear the car apart and sell it in parts? if thats the case, even GOD cant save your car! LOL... you can fit gear/sterring locks, the most advanced and best security system, if thats the intention of the thief, he will simply tow your car and split it apart!
if you meant he can remove the immobilizer, i have no idea! i think its an anti-theft feature so obviously it wont be that easy to remove or manipulate. GOD knows!
Old 31st October 2008, 00:23   #60
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I meant the immobiliser.

All the after market immobilisers can be removed! so why not this one, couldn't be very different!

Most Viewed