Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 20:42   #31
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Talking of security, have cops ever disclosed any statistics about stolen cars and their security devices? Just curious!

Also asking the owners, its always exaggerated! as they always want to claim that they had taken all security measures possible and once the car is actually gone there is no way to know.

For one, I have never myself heard [from a reliable first-hand source] a car with good quality [and perfectly operational] central locking/immobiliser or a gear lock [which was actually engaged] been flicked.

Yes, sure they can be stolen and must have been, but the point I'm trying to make is that its rare compared to the other cars.

As for the hear-say, I believe when a car gets stolen, the owner to prove himself not-negligent gives credit to the thief’s capability/skills or curses his security system [which was due for repair or not engaged].

Last edited by SLK : 27th October 2008 at 20:43.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

From the discussions here I understand that installing as many locks is the mantra!!
Will surely let him know and get locks installed personally in his next car(if this isn't traced).

@anupam,
About the insurance thing, whats IDV??
Anyways thanks a ton mate, will convey the same to him.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
From the discussions here I understand that installing as many locks is the mantra!!
Will surely let him know and get locks installed personally in his next car(if this isn't traced).

@anupam,
About the insurance thing, whats IDV??
Anyways thanks a ton mate, will convey the same to him.
IDV is Insured’s Declared Value

Insurance IDV Depreciation Schedule
Old 27th October 2008, 22:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

a man is known by the company he keeps!

i guess bigman knows "an accomplished car thief" right from his childhood days, few other school kids in and around his area who are expert in breaking locks!

and i noticed that bigmans location says "NA"! her majesty's service??

anyway i cant argue with the "experience & expertise" of Bigman!

i know a 100% fool proof plan, that even bigman's "accomplished car thief" friend cant steal.......

.....dont buy a car!

Last edited by Parm : 27th October 2008 at 22:39.
Old 27th October 2008, 22:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

i know a 100% fool proof plan, that even bigman's "accomplished car thief" friend cant steal.......

.....dont buy a car!
Not so fast youngman. Don't buy a car means lots of money in the bank so my friend will use identity theft to get your money. So not only do you have to take public transport everywhere but my friend has your money as well.
Old 28th October 2008, 00:25   #36
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Not so fast youngman. Don't buy a car means lots of money in the bank so my friend will use identity theft to get your money. So not only do you have to take public transport everywhere but my friend has your money as well.
LoL this is India! not UK. Identity theft doesn't really happen here too often and its very hard too compared to UK. You may want to advise your friend to get an anticipatory bail before trying it here.

And yes the best way to save your car is live/sleep in it with seatbelts on.
Old 28th October 2008, 00:26   #37
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th October 2008 at 15:25.
Old 28th October 2008, 02:58   #38
BHPian

sad to hear another scorpio owner fall prey to this menace, i had my scorpio stolen in feb, 3 months old, from my building compoun through a locked gate, they drove it through! got the insurance money right on time and got an innova, we have 2 steering locks on it now.
Old 28th October 2008, 09:01   #39
BANNED

Bigman was giving some feedback on the security devices, so that is fine. No need to turn that in to a personal war and stop acting like kids.

As far as tracing the Scorpio, would hiring a personal detective help? Or how about offering some prize money informally for the police for their personal interest?
Old 28th October 2008, 14:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Bigman was giving some feedback on the security devices, so that is fine. No need to turn that in to a personal war and stop acting like kids.

As far as tracing the Scorpio, would hiring a personal detective help? Or how about offering some prize money informally for the police for their personal interest?

I would not bother with private detectives, they are more trouble than they are worth. As for giving money to the police, probably better if you know someone highup in the police to ask them for help. The ordinary SHO will take the money and do nothing.
Old 28th October 2008, 15:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey sorry to hear about your loss.

How many here have considered a VTS solution? You can set up so that once you keep the car in park mode it will give your alarm (via phone ring/sms) if there is any vibration or the car moves.

I was testing Beacon system by Beacon | : geo positioning infomatics & locator and found reasonable results. Even if car is stolen you get very accurate information of where it is and aids in quick recovery.

DISCLAIMER: I am consulting with Beacon system for using Open Source Software.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
One of my old neighbours in England was quite an accomplished car thief, and from talking to him I learnt quite a bit from him. You would be surprised at what he was capable of. Once a women was locked out of her Rover car and he offered to get into the car. He used a Ford key to open the Rover without any lock damage in less than a minute. The only time I ever saw him flummoxed was when a friend asked him to try and overcome his car alarm system (this was no cheap nippon system) it cost in excess of £500 for just the alarm and that was nearly 15 years ago. He got into the car ok but could no disarm the alarm due to some sort of hidden backup battery which could power the siren even if the main battery was removed. He did say that if he got some practice then maybe he could learn how to overcome that as well.
Bigman, i live in England and every major motoring show/magasine or association say that steering locks are the best anti theft device. I'd love to see your friend take off a sterring lock!!! If someones walking around with a chain saw or welding equpiment, i am sure someone is going to get suspicious. I know people who do things they should'nt and every single one of them says the steering lock is the best thing to put on!!!

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 28th October 2008 at 19:02.
Old 28th October 2008, 19:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

some more info on vehicle tracking systems
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...s-w-gps-2.html
Old 28th October 2008, 22:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Bigman, i live in England and every major motoring show/magasine or association say that steering locks are the best anti theft device. I'd love to see your friend take off a sterring lock!!! If someones walking around with a chain saw or welding equpiment, i am sure someone is going to get suspicious. I know people who do things they should'nt and every single one of them says the steering lock is the best thing to put on!!!
I don't know what magazines you have been reading, please point me in the direction of these articles.

Here have a little read : http://www.ovat.be/Artikels/Steering...utoExpress.pdf
Old 29th October 2008, 07:15   #45
BHPian

Here is a really effective method, my friends and I have used it.

You could install a kill switch in the car and hide the location of the switch. Or you could add a fuel cutoff switch, this cuts of the fuel to the vehicle and the thief cannot drive for more than 5 seconds. I have personally used the kill switch and you cannot start the car without the kill switch turned on...period.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th October 2008 at 14:56. Reason: Cleaning up

Most Viewed