Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

A few more shots.
This car will only find success if the pricing is correct. Earlier example from Maruti is Baleno. Very capable product, but could not find success. It will all boil down to pricing and a good diesel. Suzuki has lost the edge they had in petrol engine department. So here they need a good diesel. The SX4 is available in US with J20 engine but here the same engine loses around 23 bhp from 143 to 120. Surely this engine cant propel the car the way other competitors product perform, notably Civic and Corolla Altis.

The last real sedan from Suzuki, baleno is a failure. And their SX4 i.e. nothing but extended Swift platform sedan and the short-cut Dzire are selling well. This looks like it was designed to be a proper sedan and the profile speaks volumes about this, like the A-pillar and C-pillar, the doors that blend into bodywork unlike SX4.

I hope that Suzuki has its " developing for last many years " diesel ready and it comes in 2.0 ltr 145-150bhp range. Petrol engine are no longer Suzuki's strength as can be seen from GV in India.

A few shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-tbhpkizashi1.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-tbhpkizashi3.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-tbhpkizashi4.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-tbhpkizashi5.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-tbhpkizashi6.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2008, 12:29   #47
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
their SX4 i.e. nothing but extended Swift platform sedan
I'm not sure thats right. I thought the Swift and the SX4 were developed separately. Is there a source I can look up to correct myself?

Old 2nd November 2008, 12:39   #48
TOR
BHPian

Completely OT

The SX4 was developed on the Fiat Sedici
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'm not sure thats right. I thought the Swift and the SX4 were developed separately. Is there a source I can look up to correct myself?
I have read in magazines and on the internet that SX4 is based on extended Swift platform. I am not able to provide source for this at this point of time.
The entire platform was not developed from scratch for SX4. But the development was seperately but on extended Swift platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Completely OT

The SX4 was developed on the Fiat Sedici
Wrong. SX4 was developed on extended Swift platform by Suzuki. FIAT has played no role in development. What Fiat provides is diesel motor for SX4. There are two motors 1.6 Diesel and 1.9 diesel. In turn, Suzuki under badge engineering supplies SX4 under the name of Sedici.
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Maruti's after-sales service is legendary. Their customer service has satisfied an ocean of Indian customers, and continues to do so.

To dominate India like that, Honda and Toyota have to exist decades in India and weather hundreds of crores of India passenger-kilometres!
I was not talking just about the after sales, it was the overall branding / image Suzuki / Maruti has got in India. As somebody else had given the statistics, CRV sells far more than GV even though GV pricing is less and supposedly more capable

20 years earlier, Honda and Toyota might have found it difficult to sell without years of selling / servicing in India but now with the level of exposure Indians have got, I feel they have a strong image / brand value.

Agreed Maruti has dominated the market, one of the reasons is the segment in which it is able to sell in numbers

Thiyags
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Front end looks like SX4. I hope Maruti does'nt take parts sharing too far on the Kizashi.

Mark my words, the 'all new SX4' when it's launched, will come with the honey comb grille you see on the kizashi .
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:57   #52
BHPian

I think it looks rather nice!!!

But it is competing in a segment where image/brand matters more, as many others have pointed out. If the interiors of the SX4 or the Swift are anything to go by, then well, it's already lost the competition.

The only way it can pull it off is Suzuki can give us some brilliant engine options with that legendary VFM factor it's famous for. A nice 2.0 Diesel? A delicious V6 for the enthusiast maybe? A whole lot of extra kit like parking assistance, dual zone climate aircon and 8 airbags would do rather well to help sales

Last edited by Nitronium : 3rd November 2008 at 11:58.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:16   #53
BHPian

Why have they SX4d her

The Concept3 Kizashi was a thing of beauty. This one doesn't come within a mile. With the edgy looks of the Swift, I was hoping that Suzuki would retain the bold looks of the 'Kiz'.

But this, is seriously dissappointing.
Old 16th November 2008, 11:25   #54
BHPian

Crash test pictures of 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi in Japan

The Suzuki Kizashi has finished its stint in a crash test facility somewhere in Japan. The results are not out, but the pictures reveal major portions of the car-

The 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi has made earlier appearances when it was masked heavily under vinyl padding and when it was spotted sporting zebra stripes at the Nurburgring. Now, we have pictures of the Kizashi in a very distorted form - a crash test, to be precise. The 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi is eager to attack it’s D-Segment competitors like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla Altis, Hyundai Sonata, Skoda Octavia and Volkswagen Jetta (it has started practicing head-on collisions already!). Till date, no proper photograph of its front has been revealed, the shots below is no exception.

Source- Spied: Crash test of 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi in Japan | Indian Autos blog
Attached Thumbnails
Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-spyshotsuzukikizashi3_wm.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-spyshotsuzukikizashicras_wm.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th November 2008, 14:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to put my money on the Chevrolet Cruze then this SX4 influenced Kizashi.
Old 17th November 2008, 05:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

The car has too much of a resemblance to SX4. That cannot be a good thing, if it is to take on the likes of Civic, Corolla etc.

After the Kizashi is introduced and fails to fight it's other Jap cousins, expect a stripped Kizashi LX at 3-4 lacs markdown. A la baleno.
Old 17th November 2008, 07:07   #57
BHPian

To be successful in D segment one has to build the right image. D segment cars in India are more symbols of status than anything else. Look back to the initial days of the Baleno when it was competing against the Astra, City etc. for the top end of the Indian market – For the typical upwardly buyer, it had to be something new and other than the Maruti to be considered elite. Baleno actually lost out in this identity crisis. Maruti should learn from this and make the right moves before entering the D segment. And of course any resemblance to SX4 will be a disaster.
Old 17th November 2008, 09:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
The Suzuki Kizashi has finished its stint in a crash test facility somewhere in Japan. The results are not out, but the pictures reveal major portions of the car-

The 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi has made earlier appearances when it was masked heavily under vinyl padding and when it was spotted sporting zebra stripes at the Nurburgring. Now, we have pictures of the Kizashi in a very distorted form - a crash test, to be precise. The 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi is eager to attack it’s D-Segment competitors like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla Altis, Hyundai Sonata, Skoda Octavia and Volkswagen Jetta (it has started practicing head-on collisions already!). Till date, no proper photograph of its front has been revealed, the shots below is no exception.

Source- Spied: Crash test of 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi in Japan | Indian Autos blog

original source :
Spyshot : 2009-2010 Suzuki Kizashi crash test in Japan — AUTOinCAR
Old 17th November 2008, 23:07   #59
BHPian

I don't think it can compete with Camry. My best guess is, if its launched in India, it will compete with Magnum (may be slightly higher priced) and would be cheaper than a civic or corolla.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

fresh spy shots: Autoblog
Attached Thumbnails
Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-01kizashicurtis.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-02kizashicurtis.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-03kizashicurtis.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-04kizashicurtis.jpg  

Kizashi partly revealed-Can Maruti (suzuki) pull it off in the D-segment?-05kizashicurtis.jpg  

Most Viewed