Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2005, 14:21   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fiat India - Management Resigning!

- How much longer before Fiat shuts down?

On the 4th of February, 2005...I had posted an educated opinion on Fiat India shutting down and leaving the country.

- Fiat-India website down

Prior to that, in end-January, a Team-BHPian brought to our notice that the Fiat-India website is down due to unpaid bills!!

NOW, Fiat India has its top management putting in its resignation papers...looking for better opportunities!

Why stick with a sinking ship, eh? Fiat India is going fellas. Its going for sure.

GTO

Source : Economic Times Article
Old 2nd April 2005, 14:31   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

No No GTO...Fiat is here to stay...or so as some others may put it

No offence meant to anyone.

Last edited by RJK : 2nd April 2005 at 14:48.
Old 2nd April 2005, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
NOW, Fiat India has its top management putting in its resignation papers...looking for better opportunities!

I believe it is for good of Fiat only. The previous management was anyways useless. A revamp of the management could be a good decision, especially if they go with an Indian partner who will bring local expertise and do some justice to the good Fiat products.

~maniac

Last edited by serious_maniac : 2nd April 2005 at 14:38.
Old 2nd April 2005, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac
I believe it is for good of Fiat only. The previous management was anyways useless.
~maniac
Ever the optimist............

Coming back to the point, GTO - wasnt there some speculation that the Hindujas may be 'persuaded' to take an interest in Fiat India?

Cheers
Steer
Old 2nd April 2005, 16:18   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe it is for good of Fiat only. The previous management was anyways useless. A revamp of the management could be a good decision, especially if they go with an Indian partner who will bring local expertise and do some justice to the good Fiat products.
You are kidding me, right? When an organisation itself shuffles top positions, it is a healthy sign. Buttttttttttttttttttt when top management aborts operations, it shows whats going on inside.

Quote:

Coming back to the point, GTO - wasnt there some speculation that the Hindujas may be 'persuaded' to take an interest in Fiat India?
Good to have ya back. The Hindujas, however slow up there they may be...I think they have a little more sense than to pump capital into a lost cause.

GTO
Old 2nd April 2005, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bye bye FIAT...Hope you enjoyed your Stay
Old 2nd April 2005, 18:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm still reluctantly optimistic. Sometimes the truth is not what it appears to me. I still don't think Luca is dumb enough to overlook a volume market such as India.

Had I the sort of capital to invest in a dying brand that is FIAT India, I would have sure as hell done it. I know I would probably make the worst finanical decision in my life, but it would turn out to be one helluva challenge. After so many months, it still hurts to see a good product die and unnatural death.
Old 2nd April 2005, 18:16   #8
BHPian

Well,Thats a bad news for all the FIAT owners and fans......Looks like its going the DAEWOO way..... and if it(palio) really does ,hope it comes back as the way Matiz is expected in 2006....restyled and revamped with a different badge.

Rahul.
Old 2nd April 2005, 18:49   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still don't think Luca is dumb enough to overlook a volume market such as India.
Any opportunity is worth what you make of it. No one doubts the potential of India : especially when its the B segment of the automobile market. Fiat didnt overlook, thats why its been here for 10 years. What have they done of it? Sold a measly 7 Sienas / Petras in Feb 2004? After all the rebranding and advertising...all they could sell is 75 Petras in Feb 2005!

I would love to see Fiat making something of themselves in India...and whoever will do it will find his/her biography on my desk (a la Carlos Ghosn).

Passion and love for the Palio/Petra aside, it does not look realistically workable.

Fiat is going...Remember, you heard it here first!

GTO
Old 2nd April 2005, 19:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Luca just stepped in for FIAT operations, didn't he? I'd give him some time before before showering him with due criticism. Whether he manages to revive FIAT India from the pits is still a hazy picture, but I do expect him to turn FIAT Spa fortunes around.

Does anybody know who handles FIAT India's advertising account?

On second thought's I'd probably like to see Carlos Ghosn take over the reigns at FIAT too. Guess the FIAT empire grew to large for the Agnelli ( this is the name I'm looking for right?) family's let-things-run-like-they-used-to attitude.
Old 2nd April 2005, 19:11   #11
BHPian

fiat futures

it seems to me that the new fiat model is going to be that of a holding company of IPRs and brands..loss making countries will be hived off to resemble more like franchises; which is good in a way as it brings automony to the local management, who can decide which models to launch and how to price them, not to mention - cutting the umbilical cord with Turin may actually help indian customers get a better deal.. if this is any indication, the new management can actually start with a clean plate and launch the right kind of product mix...I think May June will be crucial for the new hires to prove their mettle.
Old 2nd April 2005, 19:29   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Luca just stepped in for FIAT operations, didn't he? I'd give him some time before before showering him with due criticism. Whether he manages to revive FIAT India from the pits is still a hazy picture, but I do expect him to turn FIAT Spa fortunes around.
Sure. But I can assure you he has other priorities than a market where his company has less than a 1% share. Fiat SPa has recently embarked on a massive rebuilding strategy, and any company on the recovery path wont throw good money after bad. Its all about minimising loses.

Fiat SPa is in trouble. Fiat India is in trouble. Can a terminally ill parent ever help a terminally ill child to recover?

GTO
Old 2nd April 2005, 23:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

So, those $2B are not coming to india after all. This looks to be the terminal sumptom of Fiat's departure. Its a decision that i think is well taken. Much better to create a strong foundation back home in Europe first.
Old 3rd April 2005, 00:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Oh GTO you have had me in splits now. I had recently heard of all the rumours that some person with amazing marketing skill sets was going to takeover as the management head for the company.. Dont know but cant make assumptions now about any future unless a concrete news is had.
Old 3rd April 2005, 03:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Posted Deleted : Personal attacks are not permitted on Team-BHP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks