Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 19:00   #226
BHPian

[quote=benbsb29;1046414]Mr Satyaprakash, just out of curiosity, which car do you currently drive/own? Also, does your bullockcart come with ABS and EBD?

To criticize foolishly is rather easy, and one loses nothing in the process other than their own self-respect

Dear friend I am not criticizing foolishly, please try to understand the context under which i told all those comments and its purely joke which i made.

Its been industry standard nowdays to offer safety standards for most of the sedans & ABS, EBD in my opinion should be must for all cars which are peppier.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2008 at 13:25. Reason: Inappropriate for the forum.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:08   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Dear friend I am not criticizing foolishly, please try to understand the context under which i told all those comments and its purely joke which i made.

Its been industry standard nowdays to offer safety standards for most of the sedans & ABS, EBD in my opinion should be must for all cars which are peppier.
Coming back to my question, show me a sedan which offers ABS as standard for the same ex-showroom price which is being offerred on this car.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2008 at 13:26. Reason: Removing inappropriate quoted material + reply.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:11   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Except the Luxury Sedans, I wonder which Sedan / premium hatch offers ABS/ EBD as standard. Not just at this price level.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:21   #229
BHPian

[quote=benbsb29;1046462] If you had put forth your views as a 'joke' it should have been made more lucid, not after it was raised by others as well.

Coming back to my question, show me a sedan which offers ABS as standard for the same ex-showroom price which is being offerred on this car.

-----------------------------------

Please try to see the smilies i have used and come to a conclusion.

The point here which i am trying to make is not about Price but about minimum safety standards followed now.

Will u buy a car which dont even have Seatbelts and front Disc brakes bcz its priced low, ridiculous
Old 9th November 2008, 19:53   #230
BHPian

@ SathyaPrakash

Please add [/quote ] at the end of the text you are attempting to quote or just use @

Quote:
Will u buy a car which dont even have Seatbelts and front Disc brakes bcz its priced low, ridiculous
Ridiculous comparison / analogy.

Last edited by gendarmee : 9th November 2008 at 19:55.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:11   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sathyaprakash, you are going OT when you start talking of minimum safety standards. Let's stick to the Ikon TDCi here.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:18   #232
BHPian

Ok if its going to satisfy every senior-BHPian then Ikon TDCI is a safe and reliable car with maximum VFM in its sector irrespective of its looks, asthetics, safety, stability, space, noise intrusion, etc etc............bye
Old 10th November 2008, 00:05   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok if its going to satisfy every senior-BHPian then Ikon TDCI is a safe and reliable car with maximum VFM in its sector irrespective of its looks, asthetics, safety, stability, space, noise intrusion, etc etc............bye
Hey Satya. Don't get so worked up pal.
You have expressed your opinion and there are others who do not think that way and we had a healthy argument. Finished.

And as it happens on so many other threads with so many members, let us end by agreeing to disagree.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:21   #234
tez
BHPian

Quote:
hey satya dont get worked up. We all agree that safety is important but as of now in India, Honda city is the only car to have provided safety features across all the versions in ANHC but at a price. No sedan is available in India at 5.5 price + safety features. We would all appreciate if we get one but considering the competition, IKON TDci seems VFM is what the general idea is as of now.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:33   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Geek,

No offences there.

I know how much it hurts to load a hatch with our bags when we have to take it for long trips! And its a nightmare when you have to keep your big Subs back home to accomodate those bags!
I agree anachronix. this is the only place where swift is a let down. other hatches like uva and getz score better even in luggage department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
well got a pricing of around 5.9 OTR in pune after corporate discounts. Surely sound good for the price. Ford do something about your service now.
That is quite a good price for a diesel sedan on road

Quote:
Test drived the new Diesel Ikon

Its difficult to get in and out for my 6ft body has it has no steering adjust or hieght adj seats, poor knee space at front for the driver and great amount of engine noise creeping inside the cabin. No back seat head rest is an letdown

In overall a great VFM for people who planned to buy a hatch, they can upgrade to this three box saloon instead of hatch for little more money but definetly not for people who have planned to go for sedan with comfort.
Interesting observations sathya. that ways most hatches too dont come with height adjusts or steering tilts. on your last line, guess linea would fit that bill soon. (BTW i guess you and bensb must chill out guys! seen a lot of finger pointing going on -everyone in this forum is welcome to say what he wants and thats the way we learn each others opinions!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post
Hi
I went to south city Ford to TD the new Ikon 1.4 TDCI with a friend who's keen on buying it.

Here's what I got

* Very good mileage (Min 20kms/lit as per sales guy)
* 10 days waiting only (pain area if buying Desire/Swift)
* Service cost Rs.1100-1200 as per sales guy

What I didn't like ..

* Poor NVH levels ( sound seeps in more as compared to the Fiesta)
* No Airbags
* No Alloy Wheels
* No Tubeless Tyres
* Cheap looking inside door opener
* Limited flexibility for the driver's seat. Problem area if you're more than 5.10 ft tall
* Cheap plastic quality in the dash
* Smaller tyres (13 inch)
* No disc brakes at the rear ( not a big pain area IMO)

Will keep you guys posted as the buying process progresses.
I agree with these points fully. but the mileage kind of seems a bit audacious for any sedan. without tubeless tyres these days life would be hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
I had a brief drive yesterday. The power widow switches, door handle etc looks and feels cheap. The engine sound is intruding in to cabin, especially on accelerating there is a booming resonance. ( I am not talking about 0-60 figures, just how it feels in real life).

Overall I think it won't feel like an upgrade if I go from Swift Vxi to Ikon TDCi.

~Manoj

Right observations. Now would this mean logan diesel would be a good comparison to make, now that these days I am seeing many people opt for that? Compared to launch times.?
Old 10th November 2008, 10:45   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
My views:

1. Door handles come painted with body color unlike the previous versions. Looks ok to me.
2. The Noise levels seemed ok to me. Dint get a chance to drive it around. But got a chance to sit inside with the engine running at the showroom in Chennai Ford. It was much better compared to the old Ikon!
3. There is a lever under the drivers seat which allows you to slide the driver seat forward or backward which helps with more space for driver. This is the same mechanism to adjust drivers space in most of the cars these days.
4. Not sure! Have heard rumors that Bosch does after market installations of ABS/EBD. But there is no concrete source

What speed did you manage for those curves. I usually try to do those curves at 100KMPH. IMO anything beyond that would be a disaster no matter which car you drive in those corners on the ECR (East Coast Road) which are deadly & dangerous
Quote:
Its defineatly a cheap door handles inside and outside and to be changed to increase the asthetics of the car or better we wear eye caps when we enter & exit!

The engine noise is terrible IMO ear buds will defineatly help if other ways not possible!!

The driver space is more like an jet pilots seat with very limited manoveriblity IMO if the slide don't help change the seat to a baby seat!!!

About the ABS & EBD if its not possible to fix aftermath better to follow an bullockcart at turns & bends!!!!!
Cheap looking door handles - YES.

Where would you get a sedan for this price. And the best thing they dont break quite easily unlike the ones you are trying to compare this with. The Ikon has proved to be a reliable car for around 9 years now. You are not looking at a luxury sedan here. Its a VFM sedan and if you want to look at the luxury sedan there are Fiesta forums around here. Your comments would be welcomed over there.

The Engine noise filtering into the cabin has been usually there in the Ikon. Compared to its earlier versions the noise levels inside the cabin for the New Ikon has been considerably reduced.

Who said there is little space for Jet Pilots in their cockpit?!

Which manufacturer in this segment offer ABS/EBD as standard in all the variants?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:44   #237
tez
BHPian

guys, did the sales guy inform about the extended warranty and at what price.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:03   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
guys, did the sales guy inform about the extended warranty and at what price.
metro ford, bangalore quoted Rs.7000.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:28   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkjona View Post
metro ford, bangalore quoted Rs.7000.
how much time / kms ?
Old 10th November 2008, 14:37   #240
evo
BHPian

Ford Ikon: Plastic Surgery with new heart.

From:Ford Ikon: Plastic Surgery with new heart. | AutoPlug

So whats all this hoopla about? Decided to find out myself. Called the Ford dealer for a test drive. Car was at office in a matter of an hour. Very impressive. A weird looking chap with a large Ford badge came in and proceeded to tell me that 80% of the car was new as compared to the old Ikon! Hmm.
He took me through the pricing, (not much to take me through, only one variant!) ex showroom Rs.5,17,000 plus the obligatory stuff. He then proceeded to waive off my service concerns by telling me that “Ford has changed everything……Ab kuch bhi paehle ke jaisa nahi hain!”

He had got a maroonish car, perhaps the so called Paprika red. It looks very decent from up front. I think better than the newer Aveo Sedan too. Apart from that the whole car is as it was before the facelift. The rear is exactly same as before, only the badging is slightly different.

Get inside and the interiors seem quite bright. The doorpads feel a little old in the way they are made, however the colour and the material feel very good. In fact the interiors feel much better than I thought they would feel. The two tone combination looks good and the steering feels very good to grip. The steering wheel is actually very very nice.

Start up has a positive feel but the gear lever vibrates like all hell has broken loose. Its was a very alien feel to grip a vibrating gear lever after so long. The vibration coupled with significant engine noise was a big let down.
Equipment wise the car is in the slightly upmarket hatchback category with nothing but power windows, power steering and central locking. The basics like remote boot release etc are also missing. A complete lack of safety features and tube type tyres will not deter buyers at this price segment though I personally feel that they should have been offered as options or on a higher variant.
The car is very drivable with an added punch when in the meat of its power band. All in all, in case you are not too bothered about living with what is essentially a ten year old design, this is a very practical alternative to a Swift like hatchback.

What do you think? Old Ikon or New Ikon or No Ikon?

From AutoPlug | Vroom Vroom! India's first car blog.

Last edited by evo : 10th November 2008 at 14:39. Reason: Trackback not working

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks