Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 16:22   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
I am not so sure you can directly compare Fiats MJD and TDCI of fiesta/ikon.The price could be justified due to many factors. Dont tell me now that getz is cheap, every hatch is expensive. you even have getz D at 7 lac which is still better than swift. its only the notion of who wants what isnt it? That way everyone here knows i had booked a swift D, upgraded to sx4 and still came back to swift D. no pain, only gain after that though!
Geek,

No offences there.

The pricing by Ford for the New Ikon TDCi is spot on and it has impressed me a lot. Compared to the Getz/Swift/Fiat/Vista I feel the New Ikon TDCi would be a good buy. As its a Sedan you get at the price of a Hatch or may be less than the cost of a hatch.

I know how much it hurts to load a hatch with our bags when we have to take it for long trips! And its a nightmare when you have to keep your big Subs back home to accomodate those bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
The new ikon is sure to make lots of impact atleast for its space, its ease of use and whatever other good features. But i do still sorely miss ABS + airbags in this modern age.
The ABS/Airbags not being offered is a let down!
Old 7th November 2008, 16:42   #182
Senior - BHPian

Just got pricing 5.23 Ex showroom Chandigarh.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:04   #183
tez
BHPian

well got a pricing of around 5.9 OTR in pune after corporate discounts. Surely sound good for the price. Ford do something about your service now.
Old 7th November 2008, 18:23   #184
Senior - BHPian

What a hot thread

Crossed more than dozen pages in 4 days.

Yes, today only I saw this + the ad in the times. I think its a good decision to bring in the diesel version esp in India.

Wonder whose going to be next Got it?
Old 7th November 2008, 19:07   #185
BHPian

Test drived the new Diesel Ikon

Its difficult to get in and out for my 6ft body has it has no steering adjust or hieght adj seats, poor knee space at front for the driver and great amount of engine noise creeping inside the cabin. No back seat head rest is an letdown

The engine is very peepier and has great acceleration, manoverability but lacks stability at high speed, ABS and EBD would have helped a lot interiors or ok but made for a budget.

In overall a great VFM for people who planned to buy a hatch, they can upgrade to this three box saloon instead of hatch for little more money but definetly not for people who have planned to go for sedan with comfort.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:21   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Its difficult to get in and out for my 6ft body has it has no steering adjust or hieght adj seats, poor knee space at front for the driver and great amount of engine noise creeping inside the cabin. No back seat head rest is an letdown
In the Ikon, you have to pull back the seat fully to get in/out even if you are a five footer! That is the workaround you have to manage with, but once you sit in and adjust again you should be able to manage. This is just the case with earlier Ikon too.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:41   #187
BHPian

I wonder...how much overpriced Fiesta is. Are they going to fit Fiesta with 1.6TDCi? And that too at the same price? Very tricky question and how well all of it will work out in the market (read success/failure).

For Ikon I think the brand is too old to carry on for a long period. Although this new 1.4TDCi will give a new lease of life but for how long? Although history in Indian Auto market says that cars can have a very long shelf life (m800) but i think consumer behaviour is changing.

Also, with this launch I think current Fiesta TDCi owners will surely feel cheated.

For now atleast the pricing of Ikon seems to be a big hit and would their be more to follow...?
Old 7th November 2008, 20:50   #188
BHPian

Test Driven

My First Post!

I test drove Ikon TDCI yesterday. The change in the facia is not inspiring. Any day i will prepare the old design for the current one. The interiors looks very fresh but will be very difficult to maintain it clean. Just drove it for 3 - 4 kms the engine is peppy. Noticed a lighter suspension feel (like the movements you find while travelling in a boat) Will post detailed review soon.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:03   #189
BHPian

Td of the new Ikon 1.4 TDCI

Hi
I went to south city Ford to TD the new Ikon 1.4 TDCI with a friend who's keen on buying it.

Firstly, IMO the expectations from a car are largely individual to different people .. For me , from a car priced at 5.19 lacs ex showroom, I didn't expect lots of gadgetry or sophisticated features like ABS/EBD etc..

Here's what I got

* Very very good Value for money
* Three box hatch that can seat 4
* Decent boot space (400 litres as per sales personnel)
* Good torque ( same engine as Fiesta. Due to lighter chassis in Ikon, its seems more powerful and has better mileage)
* Very good mileage (Min 20kms/lit as per sales guy)
* Easy to maneuver
* Good exterior looks
* Chilling Aircon
* Decent rear seat ride
* Good interiors ( Different shade from the traditional Beige or Black)
* Slick Gear shift
* No sweat till 120 kms/hr ..
* Above average suspension
* Fog Lamps
* Spoiler as accessory
* Good choice of colors
* AFAIK, much better looking than the Logan
* Service interval 10000 kms after the first 2 services which are at 5000 kms
* 2years/1 lac kms warranty
* Extented warranty available
* 10 days waiting only (pain area if buying Desire/Swift)
* Service cost Rs.1100-1200 as per sales guy

What I didn't like ..

* Poor NVH levels ( sound seeps in more as compared to the Fiesta)
* No Airbags
* No Alloy Wheels
* No Tubeless Tyres
* Cheap looking inside door opener
* Limited flexibility for the driver's seat. Problem area if you're more than 5.10 ft tall
* Cheap plastic quality in the dash
* Smaller tyres (13 inch)
* No disc brakes at the rear ( not a big pain area IMO)

South city guys were very professional .. Didn't oversell or push us into making a decision. Guess they knew their product is spot on.
Offered good finance options from both ICICI and State bank of Patiala and duly informed us that if we choose nationalized bank, the process will take atleast 5-6 days unlike ICICI which could be done in 2 days.

He also mentioned that he would give us in writing that the booking amount will be refunded within 7 days if we change our mind.
And that we can inspect and approve of the car before billing and temp registration.
Also that he will waive off the 2200 Rs. for mats, mudflaps etc if we take extended warranty .. Plus if we want we can get insurance done from our own guy.. Basically, the experience was hassle free which for me was very unlike Ford.

My friend really liked it .. At Rs.2/km, why the hell not cheers:. He's paying the booking amount tomorrow ..
Sorry, we didn't click any pictures.

Will keep you guys posted as the buying process progresses.

Last edited by da MotorHead : 7th November 2008 at 21:05.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:51   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
They killed a very good car in Fusion when they launched it at such a high price. They had an opportunity to birng it back alive when the launched it with diesel & sub 4.0m, but they again over-priced it and made sure they seal its fate forever.

If they reduce the price now, they will pi**off the earlire owners. Just like they are making all the Fiesta diesel owners think they paid a lot for the car in comparison with Ikon diesel price now!!!

Never expected the Americans to goof up so much on the marketing front
First, could I say how much I agree with you, and regret the hatchet job Ford did on themselves?

Can't help pointing out that the all-conquering Koreans did it too, quite uncharacteristically. First, with the Tucson: lovely car, dreadful pricing, considering how close it was pitched to the CR-V, even before the Captiva came and queered its pitch. Second, with the muddling around with Getz pricing; what are they trying to do?

I'm sure we can all dig out other examples from every marque's line-up. The GM Forester, for instance. Although in retrospect, that's probably a bit of personal rancour showing up because I couldn't afford 15.0 lakhs. It doesn't sound too bad today.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:51   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Offered good finance options from both ICICI and State bank of Patiala and duly informed us that if we choose nationalized bank, the process will take atleast 5-6 days unlike ICICI which could be done in 2 days.
can you elaborate the finance option offered?
Guys, any updates on the rate cuts by private banks, particularly icici and hdfc? hdfc offers 12.5% (3311 per lakh) in bangalore
Old 7th November 2008, 21:52   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tez : well got a pricing of around 5.9 OTR in pune after corporate discounts. .
Re-check. Corp Discounts on a car that's revealed 2 days back ?!

Quote:
sathyaprakash : .. great amount of engine noise creeping inside the cabin. No back seat head rest is an letdown
At what speeds ?

No head-rest for rear seats is a let down.

Quote:
sathyaprakash : ..but lacks stability at high speed,
Can you explain this ? What speeds did you do, what kind of road ? Did you check if tyre pressures were correct ?

Quote:
da MotorHead : * Very good mileage (Min 20kms/lit as per sales guy)
Cant be 'minimum' - should be the upper range. BLR dealers are quoting 17kmpl with a/c in city. 22-23 on highways.

Quote:
da MotorHead : * No sweat till 120 kms/hr ..
How was handling and stability at higher speeds ? 100 & Above ? What was the max you did ?
What happens after 120 kph ? How does the response & behaviour change ?

Quote:
da MotorHead : * Extented warranty available
Extended wty details not announced, as per dealers here. What are the details you got ?

Quote:
da MotorHead : * 10 days waiting only
Dealers here say cars are being rationed to dealers. No delivery period is being given, but say we can expect 3 weeks.

Had another look at the car today.

* No TD's. Till such time the dealers get another car. Apparantly, directions from Ford. This is actually surprising since they do have a petrol version that can be used as the display vehicle. The TD requests are mostly for the diesel version.

* Remote boot release is not available as an accessory. (Was last available on the NXT's.)

* Paprika Red & Platinum look to be the best colors available. The maroonish color Morello does not look attractive. And neither did Brush Steel (as seen on the color cards).

* Accessories list not available yet. Again, surprising.

Was checking the wheel arches & the area behind & above the rear wheel.
New Ford Ikon TDCi brochure!-rearwheel.jpg
This is what you would see. To the right of the photo will be the rear end of the car. The black pipe you see coming downwards (from the center) is the fuel inlet pipe. And there are a couple of cables/pipes there too.

The area in front of the wheel (front/above) - will be on the other side of the wheel here.

I'm kind of surprised that Ford has provided only half a mud-guard. The front half. Wouldnt it have been cleaner to give a full one ?

Would like to know how does this compare with the Fusion & the Ikon Flair, in terms of handling & stability at high speeds.

Last edited by condor : 7th November 2008 at 22:07.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:04   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Cant be 'minimum' - should be the upper range. BLR dealers are quoting 17kmpl with a/c in city. 22-23 on highways.
Guess so ..

Quote:
How was handling and stability at higher speeds ? 100 & Above ? What was the max you did ?
Pretty good. I did 110 max .. Lots of noise seeping in but certainly more appetite.. IMO 130-140 should not be a problem..

Quote:
Extended wty details not announced, as per dealers here. What are the details you got ?
Same as you. Dealer says that the details will be available in 2 days.

Quote:
Dealers here say cars are being rationed to dealers. No delivery period is being given, but say we can expect 3 weeks.
No such thing here .. He said that delivery depends on color. But for now they've ordered all colors in the lot so they're available on a first come basis. So if my friend books tomorrow, 10 days for him.
Old 7th November 2008, 22:07   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Great job there Ford India! Now get us the 1.6 TDCi for the Fiesta
AND GET BACK THE IKON 1.6 PETROL.

Old 7th November 2008, 22:12   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post
* Three box hatch that can seat 4
I think the Ikon can seat 3 in the rear seat reasonably comfortably. That was the most important point when I bought mine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks