Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 18:22   #211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
AS one of my friend is intrested in buying this model is it possible to change or altr or fix the following things

1. Cheap door handles
2. Ways to decrease the engine noise level inside the cabin
3. How to increase drivers space as IMO all other passengers space is OK
4. Can ABS & EBD fixed after market increase the stability & braking
My replies :
1. You could get them painted to body colour which would improve the aesthetics, but i dont think anything else is possible.
2. No idea about this, since I wasnt able to get a test drive. When cold, and inside the showroom the sound was slightly high.
3. Push the driver's seat back, and then getting in and out becomes a lot easier. I do the same, i drive with my seat pushed back, and legs stretched. Suits my driving style.
4. A retrofit of ABS and EBD is not possible.
Old 8th November 2008, 22:41   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AS one of my friend is intrested in buying this model is it possible to change or altr or fix the following things

1. Cheap door handles
2. Ways to decrease the engine noise level inside the cabin
3. How to increase drivers space as IMO all other passengers space is OK
4. Can ABS & EBD fixed after market increase the stability & braking
My views:

1. Door handles come painted with body color unlike the previous versions. Looks ok to me.
2. The Noise levels seemed ok to me. Dint get a chance to drive it around. But got a chance to sit inside with the engine running at the showroom in Chennai Ford. It was much better compared to the old Ikon!
3. There is a lever under the drivers seat which allows you to slide the driver seat forward or backward which helps with more space for driver. This is the same mechanism to adjust drivers space in most of the cars these days.
4. Not sure! Have heard rumors that Bosch does after market installations of ABS/EBD. But there is no concrete source

Quote:
I did 120kmph on ECR road this was possible bcz one of my friend is an sales guy in the ford showroom, the car behaves well on straight roads but a great let down at sharp curves and bends

The Tyre pressure i think is correct, moreover idont expect it to give 20 kmpl in city with A/C may be in highway and max 17-18 in city, but IMO good mileage.
What speed did you manage for those curves. I usually try to do those curves at 100KMPH. IMO anything beyond that would be a disaster no matter which car you drive in those corners on the ECR (East Coast Road) which are deadly & dangerous.
Old 9th November 2008, 09:17   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
My views:
1. Door handles come painted with body color unlike the previous versions. Looks ok to me.
Just to confirm that the door handles do not come in body color, here is a pic of the demo car in the showroom.

New Ford Ikon TDCi brochure!-img_3307.jpg
Old 9th November 2008, 10:41   #214
BHPian

Test drove Ikon TDCI

I had a brief drive yesterday. The power widow switches, door handle etc looks and feels cheap. The engine sound is intruding in to cabin, especially on accelerating there is a booming resonance. Noise is less when cruising at 60-70 in 5th gear, but surely more sound than Fiesta. Power seems to be very adequate, didn't feel lethargic at all. The pick up was similar to my Petrol swift. ( I am not talking about 0-60 figures, just how it feels in real life).

Overall I think it won't feel like an upgrade if I go from Swift Vxi to Ikon TDCi.

~Manoj
Old 9th November 2008, 14:00   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
The power widow switches, door handle etc looks and feels cheap.
Are these the same from the current car ?
Old 9th November 2008, 14:55   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Just to confirm that the door handles do not come in body color, here is a pic of the demo car in the showroom.
Oops! My memory tells me that I saw a body colored door handle when I checked out the car. I will take a look again.

Btw! Is this a TDCi or the Rocam in the picture?
Old 9th November 2008, 15:19   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Btw! Is this a TDCi or the Rocam in the picture?
The one in the pic is the TDCI, but the ROCAM also comes with the same.
Check out this thread for pics.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ef-review.html
Old 9th November 2008, 18:03   #218
BHPian

[quote=anachronix;1045867]My views:

2. The Noise levels seemed ok to me. Dint get a chance to drive it around. But got a chance to sit inside with the engine running at the showroom in Chennai Ford. It was much better compared to the old Ikon!
3. There is a lever under the drivers seat which allows you to slide the driver seat forward or backward which helps with more space for driver. This is the same mechanism to adjust drivers space in most of the cars these days.
4. Not sure! Have heard rumors that Bosch does after market installations of ABS/EBD. But there is no concrete source

What speed did you manage for those curves. I usually try to do those curves at 100KMPH. IMO anything beyond that would be a disaster no matter which car you drive in those corners on the ECR (East Coast Road) which are deadly & dangerous

Its defineatly a cheap door handles inside and outside and to be changed to increase the asthetics of the car or better we wear eye caps when we enter & exit!

The engine noise is terrible IMO ear buds will defineatly help if other ways not possible!!

The driver space is more like an jet pilots seat with very limited manoveriblity IMO if the slide don't help change the seat to a baby seat!!!

About the ABS & EBD if its not possible to fix aftermath better to follow an bullockcart at turns & bends!!!!!

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 9th November 2008 at 18:04.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:12   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its defineatly a cheap door handles inside and outside and to be changed to increase the asthetics of the car or better we wear eye caps when we enter & exit!

The engine noise is terrible IMO ear buds will defineatly help if other ways not possible!!

The driver space is more like an jet pilots seat with very limited manoveriblity IMO if the slide don't help change the seat to a baby seat!!!

About the ABS & EBD if its not possible to fix aftermath better to follow an bullockcart at turns & bends!!!!!
Mr Satyaprakash, just out of curiosity, which car do you currently drive/own? Also, does your bullockcart come with ABS and EBD?

To criticize foolishly is rather easy, and one loses nothing in the process other than their own self-respect.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:23   #220
Team-BHP Support

Sathya: Please compare apples to apples. Here is a car that offers certain features that no other car in its segment offers. And like any other car, there are short comings but nothing major that makes it as bad as you think.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:35   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

@sathyaprakash, I am not able to differentiate between your comments and those of anachronix's post. Pls avoid quoting unless you really need to. If you still want to, quote the specific point.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:46   #222
BHPian

@sathyaprakash,
You get what you pay for. Don't expect Ford to provide you with Abs, EBD for Rs 5.5 Lakhs for a sedan model.
Ford is running a business and not a charity.

If you want all the feature comforts pay more and buy a Fiesta.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:51   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
Ford is running a business and not a charity.

If you want all the feature comforts pay more and buy a Fiesta.
Very simple way of doing business, too - you want a cheaper car, you get half of everything. Half a mudflap, half a seat (without headrests), etc etc

Jokes apart, this should be serious competition for the disgustingly ugly Swift-with-boot - it does seem more like a car you'd want to be seen in than that ugly joke of a car that Maruti sells.

I wonder if Meru will start offering Ikon TDCi taxis too. ANYTHING would be better than those noisy, slow Renaults.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:51   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Which version is that. SOmetimes the base version is unpainted for doorhandle/rear-patti/bumper and the premium version get body colour.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:56   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

@MPower, there is just one trim level. You will need to customise it to your liking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks