Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 15:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Old Hindustan Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Or bought after the introduction of current model of registration numbers. HM did sell Trekkers till late 90s.
The KL 7 regn cannot be of 90s rather it would be of 1991. If Edsel Rulez can part with the number this can be verified at the motor vehicles dept. website.

I checked for an imaginary number1234 of the same series and found to be of 1993 model.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st January 2011 at 15:33. Reason: addition of last line
Old 7th November 2012, 00:47   #77
BHPian

Hey in case any of you guys interested in trekker's scale model check out these links:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hread-753.html
and this one at facebook http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=8
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

at bangalore , an old "trekker" is being sold very cheaply by auction 3 days from now. those interested thbpians enthusiastic to buy and restore , pls PM me

Last edited by vinay kamath : 23rd June 2013 at 15:38.
Old 26th June 2013, 00:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

For your information - The trekker was sold by KSTDC for Rs 11,000 . MER 5435 was its classic bangalorean registration number.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

The Trekker ( called 'Tekarwa' in Bihari hindi ) was introduced in 1978. My tennis partner used to own the Mindustan Motors Agency in Patna so I even went to its launch party!
It was sold in some form or the other Pushpak, porter this that tillabout 1990 after which it was withdrawn.

I have used it during some election campaigns when it was a cheap alternative the vehicle with amplifier, mike, loudspeakers mounted on the roof, Congress party ko vote dijiye, Rajeev Gandhi Zindabad and all.

The standard of comparasion was different those days. None of my cars had AC in 1980s except one AMbassador with a after market National Panasonic one which never worked well and anyway it was my father's personal use car so I rode it less.

The Trekker by those standards would be defined as comfortable over rural Bihari potholes.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:51   #81
BANNED

My family had a Trekker in the early 80's. That time I was in school. One thing I remembered is, in the morning, our driver used to put some petrol in the engine to start the car. When I was in college, we used this vehicle for picnics. As that time, fast cars were not there on the road and thus, when our driver pushed it to 80KM/Hr, we all enjoyed. Registration No was OSU 4252.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2018 at 09:25. Reason: Language
mituadas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:12   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I can still see a few of them plying to neighbouring towns from Ranchi, typically to a max. distance of 40-45 Kms.
I am not sure of any official list, but arguably, it has to one of the ugliest automobiles built in India; though in my childhood, I was a fan of 'trekkar'! Blame the dearth of automobiles in India in the 80s, not me
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:23   #83
BHPian

still trekkers are playing in my home town in odisha.
All are now maintained by local garages. Parts are never be a issue.
As there is always a "JUGAD" for this vechile.

I never forget how i travelled 2 KM to my college in Trekker. people travelled like a bags hanging in a overloaded truck .
Old 23rd November 2013, 17:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Kalinga. Odisha is the land of the Trekkers. When working on the Golden Quadrilateral between Bhadrak and Balasore, we employed a lot of drivers who were earlier driving Trekkers.

I had the opportunity of travelling in one of the Trekkers then when I got down from the train midway and hitched a ride to my work spot. I was the 38th person in it! I asked one of my drivers on what was his best tally and he replied 52!!
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:29   #85
BHPian

A ride in the trekker was one of the most memorable rides I have ever had. I am a die hard MM/Gypsy fan. I have never had a chance to drive a trekker. In those days, I never drove anything apart from parked cars or jeeps. But, I know it climbed well, it took the corners faster and it dint break a sweat. I will always remember that ride. At that point of time, it dint feel under powered at all.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:16   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have lovely memories of being driven around in Trekkers fitted with the BMC 1489 cc diesel engines. The UV used to be very airy, with breeze blowing so freely and cruising speeds @ 50-60 kmph would be ideal.

The UV was quite ideal for its days and could also do the donkey's job, as friends from Orissa have already posted. I have also seen Trekkers moving with umpteen passengers on long routes in Orissa, while moving by train.

The brand Trekker had its own following and loyalty. HM could have upgraded its safety standards, plonked a better and lighter diesel (for mileage) and it would have emerged with a winner.

HM is really sleeping when its comes to changing with the times. They had good products for yester years but the buyers always want products in fitness with the changing times. Like for instance,the extremely airy Trekker hardly had any safety protection if hit from the sides. A side impact would devastate all passengers. Even the old Willys/ Mahindra jeeps with soft tops were a little bit safer, though open, as the base was quite high up on the driver's and front passenger's entry point. but not so with the Trekker.. ! Very few buyers would go for such soft tops today. M & M has evolved but not HM.

Believe that HM has missed another golden opportunity by not upgrading the Trekker and letting it perish with the times.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th March 2014 at 21:19.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

Trekkers are still seen in rural parts of Kerala in the form of people mover and as vehicle to teach driving by driving schools. Around Kochi, Trekkers are still seen in satellite towns like Paravoor.
Old 24th March 2014, 22:24   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

HM is really sleeping when its comes to changing with the times. They had good products for yester years but the buyers always want products in fitness with the changing times.

Believe that HM has missed another golden opportunity by not upgrading the Trekker and letting it perish with the times.
Especially apt for HM , I would like to quote Lee Iacocca from his book "Autobiography" written with William Novak.

Lee Iacocca, at the helm of Ford Motors as President till 1979 and thereafter the CEO of Chrysler Motors had a passion for duck shooting, where constant movement and change are facts of life. According to him ‘‘You can aim at a duck and get it in your sights, but the duck is always moving. In order to hit the duck, you have to move your gun. But a committee faced with a major decision can’t always move as quickly as the events it’s trying to respond to. By the time the committee is ready to shoot, the duck has flown away.’’

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th March 2014 at 22:26.
Old 9th May 2014, 19:47   #89
BHPian

Jalopnik has written an article on the Trekker. The article can be found here:

http://jalopnik.com/cars-of-which-yo...ker-1573732468

They have also linked to this article and quoted from it.
Old 11th May 2014, 13:21   #90
BHPian

There‘s one neatly maintained Trekker in Mangalore. Its painted green and wears meaty alloys and good fat tyres. Looks really mean.
Usually spotted between Ladyhill and Kottara. If anyone can take its pic and post it, it would be great.
Just shifted from Mangalore today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks