Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th December 2020, 18:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Old Hindustan Trekker

HM Trekker may be underpowered and ugly, but for me it is very special because this was the very first car I drove.

Several driving schools used HM Trekker to train student drivers back then in the 90s. It was relatively tough to pass the driving test in Kerala (even now it is) and I had to use the Trekker to undergo that dreaded "H" test.

After getting my driver's license, I started driving a Maruti Zen and it felt extremely easy to drive, thanks to the Trekker's bulkiness, overall lack of refinement, difficult steering, non-vacuum assisted brakes and that unpredictable gear lever!
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:51   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
HM Trekker may be underpowered and ugly, but for me it is very special because this was the very first car I drove.

Several driving schools used HM Trekker to train student drivers back then in the 90s. It was relatively tough to pass the driving test in Kerala (even now it is) and I had to use the Trekker to undergo that dreaded "H" test.

After getting my driver's license, I started driving a Maruti Zen and it felt extremely easy to drive, thanks to the Trekker's bulkiness, overall lack of refinement, difficult steering, non-vacuum assisted brakes and that unpredictable gear lever!
I can relate. It is 'almost' the first car for me. The first car that I drove was an old Ambassador at the driving school - the 1st two days to learn steering. On the 3rd or 4th day, I 'graduated' to a Trekker for a proper drive with changing gears and all. I believe most of the 80's kids in Kerala who went to a driving school must've drove the Trekker mostly. I took my 'H' and the 500m or 1 km driver's exam in a Trekker. My dad and I went to the same driving school in the same batch and drove the same Trekker

The last time I saw a Trekker in flesh was many years back.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 8th December 2020 at 20:52.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

They say if you stall out a trekker, you don't deserve to drive! I took my H in driving test using a trekker, the thing actually had good pick-up. It was much better than Ambassador to drive.
Old 8th December 2020, 22:27   #109
BHPian

A review of the Trekker. Not sire about how original it is but it looks okay. The video is in Malyalam but transcripts are available.

Most Viewed