Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:21   #61
BHPian

Re: No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Just one query - are their certain relaxation of traffic rules for them or are they so very special to be treated different??
Wherever there is a relaxation - its' clearly stated, the list you've mentioned is nothing more than what's called the "Colonial Hangover", where the rulers and their orderlies each enjoyed the same priviledges as the erstwhile kings and queens.

Whenver anyone avails of civilian facilities - he or she is a civilian - anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly a dinosaur - probably destined for the same fate.
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:29   #62

This thread reminds me of an incident on the Chennai-Trichy highway, an MLA's convoy was happily lumbering along the highway blocking all the lanes. Me in a Chevy Cruze kept signalling him to give way for me move on. As with any politician's convoy, my repeated attempt to overtake was responded with violent swerving and lane changes by multiple convoy cars. I eventually managed to find a gap to squeeze alongside a Scoprio, a guy lowered his window and animatedly shouted "MLA's car, NO overtake NO overtake!". Although extremely miffed i calmly smiled and shouted back "Maybe MLA's car not MLA's road" and floored it. The look on the idiots face "priceless"
Abhi_rx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 17:28   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
Bhpians I have my home town in Meerut, which is one of the Army Cant. area in the country and had never seen any of the Military guys jumping the rules, infact they are the one who had made the city better.

But yes I cannot say the same for the Cops, even in Delhi (The Capital of India) they hardly care about any laws. I hardly see any of the cops on their Yellow bullets wearing Helmets.

Few days back I was challaned by a Patrol Gypsy for not wearing Seat belt, the Guy who did my Challan was himself not wearing Seat Belt. Isn't that Great!
I second that. Same here in Coimbatore. The defence vehicles normally drive very sensibly. Can't say the same about the police vehicles. Very often I have seen policemen on bikes without their helmet and talking on the cellphone while driving!
Old 24th January 2012, 17:37   #64
BHPian

have been always miffed by this behaviour of cars with beacon. In mumbai, when all other cars stop when the light is red, suddenly a car with beacon or police jeep would easily go through.

In my opinion, the law enforcers who break the laws should be punished more severely than normal civilians. These guys are supposed to be role models!

The other day, saw a convoy of 1 land cruiser, 1 endeavour, 1 bolero, 1 RR, followed by another LC!. All driven rashly, in a line, and the worst thing was they were pushing others out just so that all the cars were going in a line! None of them had red lights and eventually all went into Mantralaya!
Old 24th January 2012, 18:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

The first and only Traffic rules sermon I ever got was from some Army Officer's wife. That happened about 15 years back when I was a 15 year old school goer. I was in 11th Std and my school was in the Cantt Area in Jhansi. I used to bicycle to my school but sometimes had the priviledge of using my dad's scooter as well. One such time, when I was coming back from school on my scooter, with a friend hitchhiking (no helmets) and talking to another friend who was on his scooter and driving like lunatics on the road! At that time, there was hardly any traffic on roads and Cantt area was especially all empty and good roads. An army jeep passed by, it stopped a little ahead, and asked me to stop. I stopped and then got the hollering of my life from the Officer's wife who gave a big lecture on road manners and threatened to report me to police and my school authorities!!! I profusely apologized and promised to ride properly in future.

Needless to say, this was enough to reform me! Next time onwards always used the helmet and rode properly, and have been a good rider/driver in general to date. It was good education I would say, has helped forever.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 19:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Akash, the defense forces make a lot of sacrifices to keep our hides safe.

It takes a certain kind of person to take up a rifle & stand at a post not knowing when he'd be killed, maimed, or worse.

Is a little inconvenience too much a price for that securityv ? I think not...

Granted, the Police forces in our country have been infested with corruption & indolence - but can you imagine our cities & our country without them ? As bad as they are, we'd be naked without them !
Srini, I am myself ex-fauji and do not agree with you. We are a DISCIPLINED Service and must respect the laws of the land as also be role models in this respect.

Drivers of Military Vehicles are issued "Military Driving Liscence" after proper training.

Kindly note veh # of offending vehicles and send emails/letter to the Station/Sub Area Commander.

Action will be taken.

Rgds
nanduchitnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 19:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed Military, Army, Navy etc follow rules but have never seen a traffic cop follow rules when not on duty. If a traffic cop is on duty, the siren and flashing lights must be on while driving, which means he is on duty (Patrolling, Clearing road for Minister, Lead vehicle etc).

I have seen numerous police personnel without helmet, riding on the srong side of the road using a mobile phone. As per the law its not allowed to do so even for an off duty policeman.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

I had been waiting for an appropriate forum to post this picture. This photo was taken a few months ago in Sakleshpur town by me. I saw the biker sitting on his police bike and talking to a traffic constable, then pulling on to the road (although it does not look like, it is a national highway - NH48) and start speaking on the phone while riding. The bike belongs to Hassan police (KA 13 G registration).
Attached Thumbnails
No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India?-04092011268.jpg  

rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 17:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

I saw this kiddo riding a two-wheeler today on Lower Agram road. Agreed that there are army quarters all along the road, but that doesn't give this child a licence to ride on a public road!

Needless to say, he was rash too, switching between lanes at will.
Attached Thumbnails
No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India?-04022012488.jpg  

Old 5th February 2012, 21:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Akash, the defense forces make a lot of sacrifices to keep our hides safe.

It takes a certain kind of person to take up a rifle & stand at a post not knowing when he'd be killed, maimed, or worse.

Is a little inconvenience too much a price for that security ? I think not...

Granted, the Police forces in our country have been infested with corruption & indolence - but can you imagine our cities & our country without them ? As bad as they are, we'd be naked without them !
eventually they would be naked without us too, if we do not pay taxes. Army also have lot of corruption it never goes out due to army rules and amount of pressure cops goes through army may be goes around 30% less even facilities. However, on the job if required in emergency they can break laws.

However, it is not recommended in civilian world and in non emergency conditions laws should be followed, I have seen lot of cops not wearing helmet and at same time I have. Point is are we reporting it to Delhi Traffic Police on FB?
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 01:05   #71
BHPian

Hi everybody
Note the contrast:
A few years back Helen Clark the then prime minister was late in catching her flight so her entourage of 3 cars(here in India it would not be less than 50)was speeding on the highway and was stopped by the highway police and fined for exceeding the speed limit.
The big question here is who will police the police?
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 19:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

Forget about rules, Delhi Police doesnt even have a proper insurance for their vehicles.

I just read a very interesting article. It says that Delhi police carry limited insurance that covers “only casualties,” or death. And this is true for at least Mumbai & Kolkata.

The article is about a guy whos car was hit from behind from a police vehicle. But he didnt get any compensation because of various reasons

Read here for more.

Regards
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 13:36   #73
BHPian

Saw this rider on JVLR - Mumbai at noon today (Sunday-17 Feb 2013).

List of violations :-

1) Helmetless riding
2) 4 people astride on the bike (3 kids + rider)

The startling fact was the 'police' sticker on the bike which i have highlighted. Also would like to highlight that across the city, the traffic policemen are extra active on Saturdays and Sundays and set up checkpoints at intervals of 2-3 kms each ostensibly to conduct 'checking' but with the main aim of harassing hapless two wheeler riders who are stopped and checked.This rider venturing out on a Sunday seems to have some immunity due to the "police" sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India?-photo11.jpg  

Old 14th January 2017, 20:56   #74
BHPian

(Names, location and details not disclosed for reasons of professional respect and courtesy)

Slightly different tale, but in this case the 'Rowdy' happens to be an SDPO in uniform (a young IPS officer with 3 stars on his shoulder). Well, with nearly 17 yrs of service behind me...he must have been wondering one wouldn't be driving a Pajero in civvies looking like a young chap. I drive over the rumblers (which have actually been banned by the NHAI and installed in contravention to orders) at my usual nonchalant 50-55kmph, and probably this infuriated him. Comes behind me with flashing lights and blaring honks in an unregistered (or blank regn plates) silver-grey bolero with a driver and armed guard both in civvies! Asks me to stop, I stop. Uses some rough language including the F word...and asks me to step down, I do. Show him my ID, but he doesnt bother to look at it, instead says who cares who you are...and proceeds to ask me to show papers. I do. All in order. Then asks me about my deployment. I inform. Finally asks my ID, I show......dont knw why I feel he must be thinking he made a fool of himself with the way he was behaving strutting off his uniform and authority. We are there to protect and serve by being polite at the same time. The uniform does NOT give us the authority to be rude to those whom we are meant to serve. Finally leaves uttering a partly-audible-only-to-me-sorry. Would a civilian in the same condition appreciate such behavior? It hurts to see how young officers can behave so immature, and are they really mentally equipped to serve and protect? or are they not assimilating the spirit behind the service and training thats imparted to them? Well, its your guess!

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 14th January 2017 at 21:06.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 08:40   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think India needs to completely eschew this VIP culture.
After all these are just public servants, paid for by our tax money from the exchequer, and the politicians are merely elected representatives of the public, not leaders!
So what entitles them to be more equal than the rest of us who pay their salaries?

Time we, the common public stood up for our rights!

Last edited by Aditya : 16th January 2017 at 08:02. Reason: Spacing error rectified
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks