Team-BHP - No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   No traffic rules for Defence & Police forces in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/48649-no-traffic-rules-defence-police-forces-india.html)

With utmost respect to the defence personnel for offering the best of them to our nation and to our T-BHP members having defence background, I have a slight doubt wether these people are exempted from certain rules/ regulations on the road or they take it as a matter of right, always. Here are some examples I come across almost daily:
  1. I have never seen any Major, Captin, Colonel etc wearing seat belts in their Gypsy irrespective if they are driving or are co passengers.
  2. Defence Ambys/ Gypsys can always be seen parked on the 'main road' leading to traffic snarls.
  3. These people (execpt few) never pay toll tax at Noida toll bridge. I am clear that they are not exempted from the same as I have seen them fighting with poll booth attendents for letting them pass free.
  4. They always cross the BRT corridor (Delhi) using the 'Bus Lane'.
  5. Offen seen them jumping red lights.
  6. Army trucks always emit thick black smoke. No PUC certificate for them..?
  7. A 'One way' road is always a 'Two way' road for them.
...and many more. The same or even worse goes with police vehicles. The best part is that no traffic cop dares to challan them. Just one query - are their certain relaxation of traffic rules for them or are they so very special to be treated different??

Hi Akash, the defense forces make a lot of sacrifices to keep our hides safe.

It takes a certain kind of person to take up a rifle & stand at a post not knowing when he'd be killed, maimed, or worse.

Is a little inconvenience too much a price for that security ? I think not...

Granted, the Police forces in our country have been infested with corruption & indolence - but can you imagine our cities & our country without them ? As bad as they are, we'd be naked without them !

As far as my knowledge goes, all law enforcement personnel can break traffic rules when on job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 1044107)
As far as my knowledge goes, all law enforcement personnel can break traffic rules when on job.

what kind of Job/Work you are referring to?
Can normal Commuting on public roads be included in the so called Work/Job,that entitles them to break rules:Shockked:

@Im Srini
I agree with you but this freedom does not allow them to risk lives of commuters on public roads.

2 years ago I was being driven around in chandigarh(read on of the strictest traffic law enforcement is here) in Friend's dad's official Army Gypsy.The driver without wearing any seat belt was speeding at 80-90 in 50Km/hr zone,and jumped red lights at a slight opportunity.

Hmm so just because somebody is in the Army and Police means they should be allowed to break rules? People in power break rules because they can. Its the mentality
I see so many policemen jumping lights, and ditto for staff cars of politicians. They do it because they can, not because they have some urgent work,

That's silly! Saying that they can do what they want because they guard our lives. Ok, we are grateful for that but like everyone said, jumping a red signal and injuring/killing someone in the process with the excuse that they save our lives in the firsyt place, is downright stupid and wrong!

Actually all the above points are also applicable to all vehicles belonging to all ministers and their family members as well. It also applies to the servant, cook, janitor, driver, etc. of all ministers if they are using the official vehicle of the minister (with a beacon on top). They will never be challaned and their vehicles will never be towed away.

As long as they are doing for serving the country, its good, but usually also when they are not chasing a suspect, they break rules. This must not be allowed. But it is their mentality and thinking level that matters. They think they can do this without any fear and they know no body is going to stop them and so they do it.

About the police force serving us, OK switch to crime program of any news channel and you will come to know how they are serving us. The criminals have absolutely no fear as " contacts " will help them out and its only the disciplined and good people in India who have to fear from both criminals and the force.

About the minister's cars etc breaking laws. This is common. Minister's family member and very very distant relatives can break any no. of rules they want. And then their friends also have a right to do the same.

This has to with thinking and nothing else.

During my school days we used to say " a rule is a rule even for a fool" well the army, police force or that matter any civil servant with uniform is not exempt from the law On/Off duty. Them breaking a red or parking odd etc are privileges given to them 'on duty for duty'
Nevertheless, I've seen many defense personal observe traffic and road rules and I have only respected them more.
I dont think we can single them out because we've seen a few 'break' rules.
Infact it almost looks they have another set of rules considering the division they belong to. The PM / CM convoy have a different set of traffic rules and speed limits right? :D

The traffic law / rules applies to everyone regardless of whethere its a minister's car, ambulance, police vehicle etc. If you remember Rajiv Gandhi (when he was the PM) was fined by top cop Kiran Bedi for having his car parked in a No Parking zone.
"No one is above the law" - But unfortunately this does not apply to India where anyone who has connections can be above the law.
Also if you notice the Protocol stickers on minister/RTO/police vehicles, it clearly states that the bearer of this sticker does not permit him to break traffic rules. However the bearer of the protocol does get a priority during parking and during traffic congestion.

An official convoy is different. For such convoys roads are cleared and blocked.
But ministers wife going shopping in evening and parking in a no parking zone, or Army owned official vehicles being driven in city without belts, thats what the OP is talking about

I cannot say anything about the police force, but I Can definitely say that fauji's will never endanger anybody's life, whether it be a pedestrian or a commuter on the road. As Srini said, I feel they can always be given a bit of laxity keeping in mind that they are some of the most responsible people.

Speaking of jumping red light- you'll rarely see a fauji car jumping the light unless its an emergency. The people behind the wheel of a fauji vehicle have very different mentality unlike us. They think 'for the people' and not 'for themselves.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazydriver84 (Post 1044259)
I cannot say anything about the police force, but I Can definitely say that fauji's will never endanger anybody's life, whether it be a pedestrian or a commuter on the road. As Srini said, I feel they can always be given a bit of laxity keeping in mind that they are some of the most responsible people.

Speaking of jumping red light- you'll rarely see a fauji car jumping the light unless its an emergency. The people behind the wheel of a fauji vehicle have very different mentality unlike us. They think 'for the people' and not 'for themselves.'

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rmy-truck.html

In bombay i've seen traffic cops really harassing red light cars with only drivers in them who break rules. They really give them hell.
Situation is not so bad in bombay.

However, i face another kind of situation in my area when it comes to VIPs!
I stay in an area where on one side is the chief minister's bungalow, opposite is a government guest house and on the other side is the governor's residence. So whenever there is a visiting dignitary, the road is made no parking without notice (or sometimes with half hour notice) and cars are towed away. It's really irritating! :Frustrati

Bhpians I have my home town in Meerut, which is one of the Army Cant. area in the country and had never seen any of the Military guys jumping the rules, infact they are the one who had made the city better.

But yes I cannot say the same for the Cops, even in Delhi (The Capital of India) they hardly care about any laws. I hardly see any of the cops on their Yellow bullets wearing Helmets.

Few days back I was challaned by a Patrol Gypsy for not wearing Seat belt, the Guy who did my Challan was himself not wearing Seat Belt. Isn't that Great!