Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should the government force Maruti to stop production M800 & Omni on Safety grounds?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 60 60.00%
Can't Say 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 09:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I shall not comment on the Omni. But is the Nano safer than an 800? Because if Govt. shall stop the production of 800, they better stop the Nano also.

Probably the 800 and Omni might sound unsafe to people who can afford ABS and Airbags, but to people who can afford only a scooter, the 800 and Omni are million times safer! Just my opinion.
nano has passed the safety norms, it has passed the frontal and side collision tests in India.it has also passed the emission norms. dont look at the shape outside. beneath is a strong structure.

well there no use comparing omni/800 with 2 wheelers. you are paying for a car. and government should have strict norms on them. you see school children plying in an omni. do u see these omni walas running them on LPG? do you see the condition of most of these vehicles.

and its since long time world has advanced a great leap ahead. these cars should be phased out and similar safe options should be deployed by the company.

i think alto is the best bet inplace of maruti 800, i eagerly spent few bucks extra for safety, and lots of many other features.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:56   #17
BHPian

On our roads safety and human life is at stake not because of "sub-standard" 800 & Omni but because of open main-holes, projecting girders, insane truck/bus drivers, road rage, and so many other countless reasons.

One is really safe in 800 & Omni in comparison to a two-wheeler. And I am sure that most of BHPians must have had 800/Omni as their first car.

Their safety should definitely be improved but discontinuing them..NO NO!

Cheers!!!

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 10th November 2008 at 10:03.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Somebody please tell me why government should interfere in Maruti's internal matters. If people stop buying 800/Omni, Maruti will stop making it.
Precisely.

Nano is only a few months away. Honda/Toyota/Bajaj and almost everyone else is coming out with small cars.

Only if 800 continues to provide value to customers, it will survive this onslaught. It could be by dropping price or adding features.

No need for govt to create more mess here.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Sumos involved in more accidents than Omnis, shall we stop sumo as well ?

I think the day all working Indians can afford to buy a car & travel safely & comfortable
with proper traffic management & parking etc., that is the day maruti should stop the 800 & omni. I can't see it in the near future.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have seen Sumos involved in more accidents than Omnis, shall we stop sumo as well ?

I think the day all working Indians can afford to buy a car & travel safely & comfortable
with proper traffic management & parking etc., that is the day maruti should stop the 800 & omni. I can't see it in the near future.

Well I did vote for a no in the poll , but frankly I think the safety standards of the omni does need a drastic improvement. Adding an engine in the front would be a good way to start I guess !
Old 10th November 2008, 11:24   #21
BHPian

Can not really understand the point.

Can not really understand the point.

Do we have any statistic to prove that accidents to 800/Omni are because they are unsafe?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:32   #22
BHPian

My view is not to be banned as these are city cars and people do not take such cars for long out station trips any more. I agree that these are much safer than a two wheeler on the road. Anyways the sales figure will decide for maruti people on whether to continue with the production.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:35   #23
BHPian

First let me clarify that my position is that they should not be stopped. But the initial post gives an impression that Alto is a safer vehicle over M800. I would like to know how more safe is Alto over M800?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:35   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You are completely missing the point here! How many of these sumo accident drivers have lost their legs and how many of the omni ones have lost their legs in a similar intensity of accident?
The percentages will speak for themselves!

And people don't compare cars and bikes!

Quote:
@sanjubaba
Do we have any statistic to prove that accidents to 800/Omni are because they are unsafe?
in india we normally don't have too many stats! however, go to a casualty ward of a major hospital and talk to the resident doctors there. They will tell you about omni accidents.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

What is the definition of unsafe? Survival in a frontal impact? side impact? ABS and airbags (or therein lack of?)
Everyone wants to enter that segment, and i think the govt stepping in to stop a vehicle is not the best idea for progress.
found an article
Quote:

General Motors is planning to launch a new small car in India. It will compete with the Maruti 800 which is the most popular model in the country. The Maruti 800 is currently the cheapest car in India, and it was expecting rivalry only from Tata Nano in the near future. However, General Motors is planning massive expansion plans for its product portfolio in India. The company is already facing tough times back home in the US.
General Motors plans to occupy a larger market share in India and it will introduce its two new cars Chevrolet Cruze and another compact car priced under Spark which will be closer to the Maruti 800’s price in the market. The company has recently started its production at its second plant in Talegaon in Maharashtra. It further plans to invest $210 million for its plant that will manufacture engines, gearboxes and transmission.
According to the GM India President and MD, Karl Slym, the company has not deferred its investment plans for India. The company will roll out its compact from its Talegaon unit. However, there is no news on the actual pricing of the new compact car from the company.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:08   #26
BANNED

Lets ban all 2 wheelers, most of the deaths on Indian roads are of 2 wheeler riders. Statistics prove that.

Lets ban all cars too. Even high end cars like BMW and Mercedes have mowed down people though the ones inside had the money to be safe.

Lets ban all buses too. Recently one plunged into a valley killing everyone on it.

Lets ban all trucks too. Do i need to say why?

Lets ban all trains. So many get killed while crossing the tracks.

We are then left with ships,planes and bicycles. They are dangerous too but less fatality so lets keep something.

So for land locked places we use planes(rich folk) and cycles(poor folk). Where ever we hava pond to an ocean we can use small boats or ships or paddle operated small dingys as required.

No one gets killed everyone is happy.

PS: We are as safe as the person behind the wheel or outside of it. I dont think we can blame a particular model to be banned because the folks driving one dont know its limitaions.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:25   #27
Team-BHP Support

What we really need in this country is safety awareness. It should be taught in primary school itself.

And we need a Ralph Nadar here to force the auto makers to give us safer vehicles.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:57   #28
SBR
BHPian

It is not the car's (M 800 & Omni) which are responsible for accidents but the drivers behind the wheels who are responsible.

Most accidents happen on highways due to reckless driving of Bus & Truck Drivers. In the last few years Tata Sumos have added to the list of causing major accidents.

M 800 will continue to be a peoples car for India's common man till such time any serious competion like Nano comes into the market.

Regards
SBR
Old 10th November 2008, 13:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

In M800 - A set of disc brakes on the front wheel will considrably improve the branking and hence the safety. Rest Driving it for nearly 9 years, I believe its a fantastic City car.
Old 10th November 2008, 14:50   #30
BHPian

No, I don’t think so that the Government should force Maruti to stop the production of 800 and Omni. Both the cars are doing wonders since they have launched. Maruti 800 has come up with various innovations to meet the demands of the changing generation. The new 800 Duo is a good car.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2008 at 14:56. Reason: Font tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks