Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should the government force Maruti to stop production M800 & Omni on Safety grounds?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 60 60.00%
Can't Say 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 15:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

future cars must be cheap yet safer passing out crash tests ,frontal and side collsion tests.air bag to be compulsary.
M800 and omni are two vehicles which are very unstable at speeds of 70-80kmph.also ,a small touch of a truck's bumper will mean precious lives gone who are travelling inside these cars.

Two wheelers are all of a different subject.Nano will hopefully give those who are not a two wheeler enthusiast but still sticking to their 2 wheelers due to not able to bear a car.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:20   #32
BHPian

Omni should be upgraded with safety features specially for head on collision.
M800 good car. As suggested good brakes may be ABS too much from my side would be a good option. But then it will not be a common man car
Old 10th November 2008, 16:56   #33
BHPian

No

My Vote No:
* Does it mean Govt will drain up all running vehicles on road for that model too ? akin to 2 stroke vs 4 stroke bikes ?
* It may be out of date w.r.t safety, still it's as relevant as the auto-rickshaw is today.
Safety cannot be back dated. yes in some way a regulatory rule could be forced resulting in revisions in structure of these cars.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
M800 and omni are two vehicles which are very unstable at speeds of 70-80kmph.also ,a small touch of a truck's bumper will mean precious lives gone who are travelling inside these cars.
I do not agree to it. May be bit of exaggeration. See my 800 doing 120 with ease on GQ. It all depends upon how vehicle is maintained. It's quite good till 100, 70-80 is too low speed. Actually 800 is quite zippy upto 60-70.

Old 10th November 2008, 17:26   #35
BHPian

No No No it should not be stopped! I absolutely love the 800!!

Small, zippy and extremely easy to maintain. There are so many people who buy an old used one instead of a new bike/scooter. Atleast the whole family can travel in comfort! And that also increases the safety factor for them. Anyone would be safer in an accident inside an 800 as opposed to a two-wheeler.

Besides it was my first car! 7767 the no.plate!
I would still prefer to drive the 800 in Delhi as opposed to almost any other car!
Old 10th November 2008, 20:08   #36
BHPian

Absolutely No.
But why debate? I wouldn’t think that the government would consider such a thing at all.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You are completely missing the point here! How many of these sumo accident drivers have lost their legs and how many of the omni ones have lost their legs in a similar intensity of accident?
The percentages will speak for themselves!
it is upto the driver to use his discretion to see what speed to drive the car and how, the omni is NOT a car meant to be driven like a BMW, its like you can cross railway tracks but if you get run over by the train you say its the fault of the train and I have seen an alto being hit head-on by a tempo and no one surviving, including the person in the rear seat, is that a safer car ? in short, if the driver of the omni decides to hit something he may lose his legs, but if someone else decides to hit him, he will not survive it even if he is in a safer but similarly-priced car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
In M800 - A set of disc brakes on the front wheel will considrably improve the branking and hence the safety. Rest Driving it for nearly 9 years, I believe its a fantastic City car.
come on, you drive it for nine years and don't know that its got disc brakes in the front ? which are quite effective, they only don't have boosters, which is not so much of a neccessity for a car that light anyway. for all people who think the alto is safer than the 800, what's the basis ? both are monocoque, both have collapsible steering columns, I don't know of any version of alto having ABS or AirBags.

relating to intervention by the govt., the suzuki swift has pretty decent safety ratings in EU terms, but it comes with the worst tires in the world in this part of it, how safe is that then ? I find it flailing wildly and going off-course at speeds less than what my 800 could do good turns on simple tires (this is just an example) my 1993 m800 had all its parts well mated together and it ran very well, unlike many new cars nowadays, this is where the govt should step in and put some stringent regulations,
Old 10th November 2008, 21:40   #38
BHPian

I would say both the vehicles be stopped from further production. Even though 800 is a car which returns good mileage, it is using a age old technology.

More over with the launch of A star, maruti should bring down the price of alto to an accessible bracket. Alto is a nice car and have enough space and with the same engine it ha better technology, better cooling and more spacious.

Omni, I am still not sure of , but it also needs a major change or a more new design and suspensions. Start offering customers more VFM than keeping them use the old tech and design.

Let the customer be the king
Old 10th November 2008, 22:38   #39
BHPian

No! The Government shouldn't do a thing - Laissez-faire.

The noble people of India are smart enough to decide their fate. And right now, they're quite happy with the 800 and Omni.
Old 11th November 2008, 00:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey naikpranav , We have always used 800 as a second car so, never really bothered to know it inside out. any ways thanxs for the info.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:09   #41
BHPian

I didn’t read through all the replies, but saying my opinion on this issue.

In a place in like India where there is a vast difference in income, we all might not be blessed with enough money or income to buy a vehicle with all the possible safety features. The cars in discussion here have more safety benefits when weighing in the odds of the families if these were to be banned/stopped from production.

Both these vehicles have the most basic of safety features (collapsible steering columns, laminated windshields and side impact door beams etc) but still are safer than being on a two-wheeler.

A little off-topic here and please correct me if I am wrong, the excise duty and other taxes on a car sold in India comes up to about 123-124 % on the base price. The reason I mentioned this is because, I just do not feel we as citizens get the benefit of paying such tax for vehicle in addition to the road tax and all other taxes that come for ownership of a vehicle. Look at our roads, traffic administration, licensing authority, none of which are not even good enough to be categorized as bad.

I know all this money plays a vital role in feeding the poor et all but a lot of it goes down the drain as corruption, bribes and a whole lot of other nonsense. If these taxes were revised to a lower percentage, the price of a vehicle would definitely reduce hence making a safer means of transport affordable to the average man.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:22   #42
BHPian

no

Ours is a democracy. How can they ban just a particular product. If they think 800s are not safe, make some mandatory safety regulations that can be applied to all cars. Stopping 800 and omni doesn't solve the issue.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:23   #43
BHPian

Alto brakes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post

for all people who think the alto is safer than the 800, what's the basis ? both are monocoque, both have collapsible steering columns, I don't know of any version of alto having ABS or AirBags.
I am not too sure on the technicality but Alto's brakes are effective than M800. And its not always crash-safety that matters. Simple but effective features like child-lock makes car more safer.
Old 11th November 2008, 16:04   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The M800 & Omni are the starting point for many a Indian family / small business. They should NOT be stopped until the market thinks so (dwindling sales). However, Maruti has consciously (and successfully) allowed the Alto to take over the 800's place. With good reason too.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

How much more safer is an Alto (or Santro or i10 or Spark) as compared to an M800 ?
What crash results and accident fatality stats do we have for all these cars ?

Till last month, a premium sedan like the City (from a very revered manufacturer) costing 7-8 lakhs did not come with ABS or airbags - basic safety devices worldwide. There still are premium sedans that dont even give these as options. And we go about banning small cars.

And even in case of cars like Swift where some versions have ABS/airbags, how many people actually pay extra and get it ?

The Government could make airbags compulsory for all cars and that will ensure that unsafe cars are not rolled out.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th November 2008 at 17:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks