Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should the government force Maruti to stop production M800 & Omni on Safety grounds?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 60 60.00%
Can't Say 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 19:07   #46
BHPian

Just wanted to added / clarify here
when I originally posted the question I did not mean the the M800 and Omni should be stopped because they do not offer their occupants safety features like Airbags and ABS but more to do with the cars structural integrity during an accident.

Take the Omni for example, it has absolutely no protection up front and if the car meets with an accident (40kms / hr or above) there is a high probability that the driver will either fracture or lose his / her legs.

Also I did not mean to single out Maruti cars but the reason I selected these cars are because
1) These are only 2 model which were developed more than 20 years back that currently sell in big numbers.
2) These cars build quality is fairly poor compared to other cars like Swift, Palio, Indica etc.

Also I did not mean that the government should directly force Maruiti to stop production but it should implement a lot srticter laws which will make it more safer for passangers. Plus there is a high probabily that these 2 cars will not pass the safety standards and hence be forced to either drastically improve or cease production.

With regards to fellow tbhpians who mentioned that M800 forms as an entry car for thousands of Indians, I agree with you but IMO I think with the launch of the A-Star will force Maruti to drop prices of the Alto further falling into the M800 price range.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:08   #47
BHPian

Yes, that would be the best thing Maruti can do to the buyers of 800. drop the prices of Alto to the 800 segment (I dont think that a very big difference) and stop with the 800.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:21   #48
BHPian

safety is something that should be ingrained in us from day 1, when I was capable of moving things on my own, one of the first things taught to me by my parents was that I was supposed to push the lever down in the Fiat and push both the buttons down in the M800, I do this till date in any car I travel in, its become a habit, besides fastening the seatbelts also since they came in cars. Safety needs to be a concern in our minds rather than a Law.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

In the best interests of Junta - Yes!
In the best interests of the company - No!
Old 18th November 2008, 23:36   #50
StoneTpilots

Folks, Safety is achieved by following discipline and rules in many aspects of driving. It does not mean that you have a very safe car and you are safe to do anything.

So my opinion is this, if cars are driven at optimum speeds then we are generally safe. And ofcourse we cannot expect ourselves to be compared to the western standards of safety, since the margin of error is very narrow when every one on the road is driving at 100k per hour in a packed highway. In our county this is not true due to the less density of cars. however we should be definetly pushing the car manufacturers to improve the safety standards of the cars in our country and this should be coming from the governments regulatory body, not from the manufacturers. If the Goverment has set the bar too low, then just too bad for our county men.

Most Viewed