Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 21:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Where exactly did you get this info about 4 years 80k kms warranty on they hybrid for India?
Honda usually does offer extended warranties on all their models, hopefully they do for the hybrid too.
See answer three:

Honda India launch new Civic hybrid at 22 lakhs ex-showroom price! A lil world of cars and bikes…
Old 12th November 2008, 22:27   #77
BHPian

Would'nt it be nice if they had the same genorosity and launched an accord hyrbid at 20L!
Old 12th November 2008, 22:40   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

@vivek: did you find any difference in quality of interiors? The hybrids pics show a nicer designed and supportive leather seats. Is it any diff from the regular version?

@starscream: thanks foe the detailed info. The maintamce free package is an icing on the cake...I hope it includes brake pads etc? I wouldn't be suprised if Honda voids this plan because of the discounts offered.
Old 12th November 2008, 22:50   #79
BHPian

Dont we have any member here who has a Civic Hybrid. Whats his response to this news ?
Old 12th November 2008, 22:53   #80
BHPian

Guys dont forget those 6 airbags and the dearly missed steering mounted controls that come standard on the civic Hybrid.
Old 12th November 2008, 22:56   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
But how many people do you think actually went in for the hybrid?
I had a look at the hybrid Civic when I went to see the City at Honda showroom last week. On enquiring how many they sold, got an clear answer – TWO. So a wild guess on the country total will be in 20-25 range!
Old 12th November 2008, 23:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Talked to a Honda person today. They said they had lot of prospective buyers who were scared away by the exorbitant price tag. These people were ready to buy the car if it were more affordable.
very interesting development. I wonder if this is Honda's way of saying. We dont have a diesel to offer, but we have here the Hybrid with similar running costs.
Old 12th November 2008, 23:02   #83
BHPian

Need Advice

Guys I am seriously contemplating buying the civic Hybrid as ( on the face of it ) it offers safety,style & economy. My average monthly driving is about 1400km inclusive of one trip to Ajmer every month ( appx 650km)and I was looking for a car which would offer the following in prioritised order:
1) Safety & stability
2) Perfomance ( read as good torque )
3) Economy

I had shortlisted the Altis / Civic and Optra Magnum LT. Now, the Civic hybrid manages to complicate life . I liked the car and am about to take a test drive tommorow. But few concerns that i seek to address :
a) Any feedback on the economy it actually delivers ?
b) Is the maintenance cost higher then the regular 1.8 civic / Altis ?
c) At what frequency would it require a battery pack chnage & thus whats the cost associated ?
d) Would all the spare parts be the same as used for the 1.8 civic .
e) since this is a Japanese CBU, is it well suited for Indian roads (suspension etc )
Apologies for such a list of queries , but I am really stretching myself to buy this car ( budget started with a Honda city !!! ) as i want to own one car that I cherish for a long long time .

Mant thanks in advance.
Cheers
Old 13th November 2008, 00:17   #84
BHPian

Autocar tests results Fuel Economy of civic H in city 12.5 km/l (there has to be some traffic on road as the hybrid is effective only below 1800 rpm) and 14.1 on hwy.

Torque will be good beaing an electric motor, which shines in the 800 - 1800 rpm range wherein a petrol struggles. in fact 20 - 80 km/h is faster in the hybrid than the civic by 1 second. However 0 to 100 Hybrid is 3.5s slower and the gap will wider as above 2000 rpm the 1.3L motor will fight the 1.8L. It may manage to a top speed of about 170 km/h. Dont really worry here the car will be very peppy at low and medium speeds and in start stop traffic.

Maintainance costs associated with certain engine spares the electric motor and battery will be expensive. However i guess otherwise it 'll be the same. Overall i guess it should be only marginally expensive to maintain.

No idea abt frequency of battery cahange, but u must drive the car for at least 30 mins a month to keep the battery alive.

The civic runs on different set of rubber which offer greater economy rather than super grip. I heard the suspension is stiffer than the regular indian civic, but only just. the spare wheel is a skinny space saver. The boot volume is less than 300L because of the battery pack.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

The ticker on one our business news channels quoting Honda says that the prices have been reduced to popularise hybrid technology in India.

Question is what, then, was the logic in the 21 lac rupee price tag? Did Honda want to give the car a 'exclusive' factor? Maybe they expected that the super rich busisness tycons and celebrties would buy the Hybrid to make a statement that they care about the environment like it happened with the Prius in Hollywood and they got stuck with excess stock. Question is, are they selling the car now at a loss or they are still making money at Rs.13.xx lakhs?
Old 13th November 2008, 10:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Since customs duty has not been cut, it is obvious that Honda is taking a hit of some lakhs in either profits or selling at a loss. But this is limited and only a few may be sold at that price. Anyway it now seems better and Civic could give Altis some serious competition. Altis itself is past the hype and should settle down to Civic type numbers or even lower.
Old 13th November 2008, 11:33   #87
BHPian

A thought occurred to me when i saw that Honda cut approx 7.5 Lks on the Hybrid. When Apple came out with the iphone it was $400 plus and soon they cut prices and all the previous buyers got gift vouchers(pre paid privilege) to purchase apple stuff (the essence of the story) so will Honda give the 60 odd folks who picked up the Hybrid at 21.5 any sort of 'privileges'
Old 13th November 2008, 11:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I had a look at the hybrid Civic when I went to see the City at Honda showroom last week. On enquiring how many they sold, got an clear answer – TWO. So a wild guess on the country total will be in 20-25 range!
I saw in paper today that Hybrid made a sales of 60 in last month.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:00   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I saw in paper today that Hybrid made a sales of 60 in last month.
25 was only my guess. Even I saw the press report of 60 later - but that was not for last month alone; it is the entire sales so far.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

I had a chat with one of the sales person and he had told me they managed to sell one. But he was quite unhappy about the fact that batteries have to be replaced and will be costly. I asked him about what i have read - the battery pack almost come to 10years or so. He answered me no chance - 3to 4 years, and replacement costs are roughly near 3 lakhs!! Dont know whether to believe this guy - but have any one of you checked this cost?

Otherwise, at this cost it is a nice to have and throw it away once the battery starts acting up..

Most Viewed