Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 21:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you DKG. If we go by the history of DC it is easily seen he has risen from the roots with just the passion of designing cars. Mind you he wasnt born in a Car manufacturers home. Yes some of his designs may get criticism but when does anyone can please everyone with their product? Looks will always be subjective.

Moreover he had a client who was willing to shell 1 crore for such a design so DC did the job he got,cant see whats wrong with that. Let me ask you all if you were in his position wont you have done the same.I can bet everyone would have.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I agree with you DKG. If we go by the history of DC it is easily seen he has risen from the roots with just the passion of designing cars. Mind you he wasnt born in a Car manufacturers home. Yes some of his designs may get criticism but when does anyone can please everyone with their product? Looks will always be subjective.

Moreover he had a client who was willing to shell 1 crore for such a design so DC did the job he got,cant see whats wrong with that. Let me ask you all if you were in his position wont you have done the same.I can bet everyone would have.
Looks are subjective but the majority think his designs suck.

The thing with DC is he adds nothing to one of his custom jobs he just wrecks with his farcical designs. There are guys on this forum who would beat him hands down if given mega bucks to customise cars.

I think some folks on the forum are just hitching onto DC as he is Indian without a thought that his designs have turned him into a laughing stock across the globe without any credibility for his design work.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Looks are subjective but the majority think his designs suck.

The thing with DC is he adds nothing to one of his custom jobs he just wrecks with his farcical designs. There are guys on this forum who would beat him hands down if given mega bucks to customise cars.

I think some folks on the forum are just hitching onto DC as he is Indian without a thought that his designs have turned him into a laughing stock across the globe without any credibility for his design work.
I tend to disagree a bit. If his designs are such a laughing stock why is he getting so much of business in this global meltdown time? Are you saying everyone is an idiot and blind that inspite of his ridiculous work they are giving business to him?
Like you said there are guys who would beat him hands down to customise cars so why arent they doing it? DC didnt get Mega bucks in a minute,he earned it gradually.
This old link will give an insight - rediff.com Money: The Rediff Money Interview / Dilip Chhabria of DC Designs

And yes am not a DC fan or supporter but i think the guy deserves respect and credit.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th November 2008 at 22:54.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:57   #34

The car is an early 90s Silver Spirit. It has costed them 1.5 laks to get it here. And it has costed around a crore to do the dreadfull. Also, this car is not from Dubai, it is from London.
Old 14th November 2008, 23:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
"Alkesh Tandon wanted a unique car that would stand out and attract attention. The family took active interest in the making of the car," Chhabria added.
Who here read the above quoted text? If you had, then you'd know that he was only delivering what the customer wanted! The customer is satisfied, and that's all that matters!
Honestly, your opinions might be shared by the majority, but how does that affect his work? He produces these "attrocities" but sells them for big bucks!

The amberoid project, don't remember what the price was, but I was told that all 10 cars which were made had been sold!!! [I think price was 4 crores!]

No offense to Autopsyche, Viper and anyone else who's into the business of modifications, but how many have been approached by a company such as Aston Martin for anything? Now how many have ever featured at the Geneva Auto Expo? DC's there every year!!

Is that not a great achievement. Being featured at Geneva is no joke!
Also yes Aston had the designs, but they didn't approach any of you! They approached DC. Is there no reason for that? And Aston Martin is no longer owned by Ford!

Sorry for the long rant, but it is not my opinion of him as a person, but my business view, and my respect for him that make me say he's great.

Whatever he makes he sells. People buy it, and pay him more than any other modifier in India makes! The quality of his work is excellent!

He is where he is for a reason, please express your opinions, but don't demean such a great person!

cheers:

PS: I am extremely familiar with his work, people who know me know exactly why. I do not like all his designs, but some are absolutely fabulous. They are the talk of the town, people gawk shamelessly at them and ask things like "Kitne crore ka gadi rahegi? Baap dikta hai"

PPS: DKG, harry10, thanks for viewing this car objectively and without prejudice...
Old 14th November 2008, 23:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

U r welcome DOcG. Honestly if i have a RR i would never do this to that machine but then its a choice people make. We can say someone wants a Product in his own taste and the other makes it, end of day both are content and happy so why ridicule the maker!
Old 15th November 2008, 00:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Who here read the above quoted text? If you had, then you'd know that he was only delivering what the customer wanted! The customer is satisfied, and that's all that matters!
Honestly, your opinions might be shared by the majority, but how does that affect his work? He produces these "attrocities" but sells them for big bucks!

The amberoid project, don't remember what the price was, but I was told that all 10 cars which were made had been sold!!! [I think price was 4 crores!]

No offense to Autopsyche, Viper and anyone else who's into the business of modifications, but how many have been approached by a company such as Aston Martin for anything? Now how many have ever featured at the Geneva Auto Expo? DC's there every year!!

Is that not a great achievement. Being featured at Geneva is no joke!
Also yes Aston had the designs, but they didn't approach any of you! They approached DC. Is there no reason for that? And Aston Martin is no longer owned by Ford!

Sorry for the long rant, but it is not my opinion of him as a person, but my business view, and my respect for him that make me say he's great.

Whatever he makes he sells. People buy it, and pay him more than any other modifier in India makes! The quality of his work is excellent!

He is where he is for a reason, please express your opinions, but don't demean such a great person!

cheers:

PS: I am extremely familiar with his work, people who know me know exactly why. I do not like all his designs, but some are absolutely fabulous. They are the talk of the town, people gawk shamelessly at them and ask things like "Kitne crore ka gadi rahegi? Baap dikta hai"

PPS: DKG, harry10, thanks for viewing this car objectively and without prejudice...

Whats the big thing about featuring at a motor show ? Anyone could rent some space and exhibit rubbish. Does he actually generate much interest ? NO !

Quote:
Also yes Aston had the designs, but they didn't approach any of you! They approached DC. Is there no reason for that?
Outsourcing is all about costs and thats why DC got the job. Not because he is the best.

I honestly think your love for DC is due to a nationalist streak in you. Well you carry on blowing the trumpet for DC but his so called designs are a bit of a joke.

When he actually designs something half decent I for one will give him praise but going by his past creations I doubt there is any chance of that ever happening.

Quote:
"Alkesh Tandon wanted a unique car that would stand out and attract attention. The family took active interest in the making of the car," Chhabria added.

That was probably limited to DC coming up with a few sketches and Tandon choosing one, same with any interior mods. I doubt Tandon had any more input than that.

Last edited by bigman : 15th November 2008 at 00:27.
Old 15th November 2008, 01:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I feel it's better to close down this thread since this thread is going to turn into a place for never ending arguments and personal comments.
We live in a world where Himmesh Reshammiya, Emraan Hashmi, Rakhi Sawant, Paris Hilton etc. are considered stars/superstars and although they are criticised and hated by a majority of people, they have their own fan following and market. Yeh Kalyug hain doston. At one point I too could never understand the meteoric rise of senseless human beings and used to crib over such issues to death. But now I have matured and don't crib much. I know that the only good thing I can do, is not encourage or be party to stuff that is ridiculous.
Old 15th November 2008, 02:57   #39
BHPian

Full respect to DC for what he has achieved etc etc. but im sorry, that just looks like another crappy job from him. Ofcourse, this could just be my opinion.
Old 15th November 2008, 13:54   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just because a product / service sells doesn't necessarily make it good; DCs designs are HORRIBLE and appeal only to, well, desparate attention-seekers (for lack of a better phrase). I see an utter lack of cohesion & fluidity in his designs. Not to mention, they aren't proportionate or timeless either. Do check out some 3 - 5 year old DC design cars and gauge for yourself how terrible they look on the roads today. Most petrolheads I know find them appaling, even Team-BHP posts seem to indicate the same thing. Yes, I do know that looks are subjective. But when you have a majority (like 80 - 90%) giving a design the thumbs down, that's saying something. And don't even get me started on how these chop-job contraptions drive.

He is not exactly original either. Compare the DC GO to the Audi R8 and you will know where the design cues have come from. That said, the DC GO was one of the few great looking cars wearing a DC badge.

Does he deserve respect? Of course, we gotta give credit where it is due. In fact, on this forum itself, you will find universal acceptance of his interior work (design & quality). And I do think he has taste in alloy wheels. But certainly NOT the exteriors. DC is a highly successful businessman with operational, marketing & PR skills to boot. He is the only independent Indian automotive designer to get a certain level of global recognition.

Thus, I respect DC as much as I detest his designs.

OT but related : DKG, you love Landcruisers right? Here's a DC Landcruiser for you:

Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-dc1.jpg

And for all us Benz lovers : Ugggggggghhhhhhhhh

A Mercedes mosquito (Holy cow, was a W140):

Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-dc7.jpg

And an E Class

Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-dc6.jpg
Old 15th November 2008, 13:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
OT but related : DKG, you love Landcruisers right? Here's a DC Landcruiser for you:

Attachment 69941
Very Funny GTO. I didn't know you were into photoshopping!
Old 15th November 2008, 14:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well he merely made the prototype (very well no doubt), but only according to designs supplied to him.
But then, how many Indians could reach that point? IMO no one can bypass the design / R&D learning curve and acheive topnotch design maturity. I also have seen few DC built makeovers. They have atleast great consistancy in panel gap. Many of the factory built units in India dont have that.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 15th November 2008 at 14:42.
Old 15th November 2008, 19:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!! What a job, the RR as well as the others!! I have no words.
I would humbly close my rear view mirrors, or try to look away, if I was to ever spot these "things" on road.

Here are a few "decent" ones I came across on his site, don't kill me if they don't appeal to you.

Guys can you tell what these things used to be originally??
Attached Images
File Type: bmp DC1.bmp (875.9 KB, 784 views)
File Type: bmp DC2.bmp (988.9 KB, 460 views)
File Type: bmp DC7.bmp (987.2 KB, 5981 views)
File Type: bmp DC8.bmp (981.6 KB, 2743 views)
Old 15th November 2008, 20:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins
"The form of the original car was not changed and the essence of the Rolls Royce car has been maintained
Uhmmm, that includes the front grill and........?

I'll refrain from commenting on anything else, please continue
Old 15th November 2008, 23:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Uhmmm, that includes the front grill and........?

I'll refrain from commenting on anything else, please continue

I think you should so that amateurs like me understand what exactly do the pro's find wrong in DC's designs. I could not spot any difference between the Rolls Royce Drop head coupe and the DC mod from the tiny thumbnail posted in the first pic. The head lamps are changed a little bit and the rag top profile is different, but overall it looks like a roller. This drop head conversion is nothing like the 350z look alike roller. So yes, please do elaborate on what you think.

Most Viewed