Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2008, 00:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I think you should so that amateurs like me understand what exactly do the pro's find wrong in DC's designs. I could not spot any difference between the Rolls Royce Drop head coupe and the DC mod from the tiny thumbnail posted in the first pic. The head lamps are changed a little bit and the rag top profile is different, but overall it looks like a roller. This drop head conversion is nothing like the 350z look alike roller. So yes, please do elaborate on what you think.
I am sure your opinion is gonna change after seeing this pic (pic courtesy 'Insaneroller').
I have clicked pics of this one from quite a few angles but haven't uploaded them as yet. If someone else has, please post em up.
Attached Thumbnails
Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-13112008185.jpg  

Last edited by Jayabusa : 16th November 2008 at 00:31.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

The car is a Silver Spirit 1980's model and by no means cost Rs 2 crores. The same model is owned by our very own Member and i have been offered one for 30 lacs but you do get them for 20 odd lacs. These are realistic figures. In UK you get them from anywhere as low as 3500 pounds to 20,000 pounds depending on their condition. This joke of a car costed Rs 1 crore to create and the torture we have to go through to see it.
Old 16th November 2008, 09:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

today's DC designs looks like Concepts From Early 90's...
Old 16th November 2008, 10:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I think you should so that amateurs like me understand what exactly do the pro's find wrong in DC's designs. I could not spot any difference between the Rolls Royce Drop head coupe and the DC mod from the tiny thumbnail posted in the first pic. The head lamps are changed a little bit and the rag top profile is different, but overall it looks like a roller. This drop head conversion is nothing like the 350z look alike roller. So yes, please do elaborate on what you think.
My friend, it is not a matter of amateur and professional. This environment is full of petrolheads think not always logically, but from a perspective of brand history, the design philosophies followed by a certain company over a period of time, the essence of a brand that links its past to the the present, the character and soul of the brand and much much more.

It is then a matter of trying to appreciate just how much BMW has strived to revive and preserve the essence of brands like Rolls Royce and Mini. The new cars are just as much RR's and Mini's as their predecessors were. And that is based on their driving experience, their exterior design and the beliefs and traditions of the old cars which have been carried over and upheld in the new ones with pride. Having said that, on the other hand, BMW itself has gone through a Bangle era which has its takers and doesn't. That is where personal opinion counts. I myself am a big fan of the E46 and E38, but I am also in love with Bangle's designs, each and every one of them without exception, and am of the firm opinion that it was necessary and is the way forward for BMW. You have to evolve to stay alive, to stay competitive and remain in the consumer's eye. I know that GTO isn't a Bangle fan, we respect everyone's opinions here!

Again, there's no hiding the fact that I am a big fan of the new Bentleys i.e. the GT and the Flying Spur. They're as stately, elegant and charming as any of the old Bentleys IMO, and yet contemporary and evolutionary. However I know I am far outnumbered against the people who think the new ones are blasphemous to the tradition/history of Crewe.

I believe the main grouse of the members here is that every car that DC touches, he murders the essence of the brand and leaves nothing but a logo sometimes to point back to the origins of the car. The E-Class Merc GTO uploaded is a perfect example. This new rolls is yet another, because honestly, apart from the front grille there is absolutely nothing Rolls about it. And believe me, I've been seeing that car from 3 feet away since four days straight, and not once have I thought from any angle that it looks pretty. However, if you think DC's designs are great and he deserves credit for what he's done, then sure, you're entitled to your opinion! No one's arguing here, we're each of us only presenting our personal opinions.

To each his own cheers:
Old 16th November 2008, 15:05   #50
BHPian

i think dc should stick on with what hes best at,that is,doing up interiors,especially vans or travel homes,his aesthetic sense as well as design sense on the exterior is atrocious.
Old 16th November 2008, 16:12   #51
BHPian

@ Flyingspur : Oustanding post, man.

Yup, I am allergic to Bangles designs but will admit that he has had a strong role in BMWs new age (aggressive, funky, youthful) identity.
Old 16th November 2008, 17:18   #52
BHPian

Guys, I think we are mixing two issues here. First is we agree that DC has got outstanding (more or less!) metalworking skills for which he gets those motor show jobs from Aston and the like. As a desi designer, he deserves our respect for this.

Secondly design, unlike engineering is a very subjective issue, which is why we have such a wide range of opinions on topics like Bangle's designs (on a side note, I absolutely love them).

That said, I find personally find DC's designs terrible and sometimes even gaudy, but then there are some people who really want them, to stand out in a crowd.
Old 16th November 2008, 23:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
@ Flyingspur : Oustanding post, man.

Yup, I am allergic to Bangles designs but will admit that he has had a strong role in BMWs new age (aggressive, funky, youthful) identity.
Thank you!

And yes, thats exactly what I'm trying to outline. BMW cannot look to it's past to evolve, like Mercedes is trying to do with its new designs. Thats why they needed a Bangle. And it's done them a hell of a lot more good than harm.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th November 2008 at 23:09.
Old 16th November 2008, 23:24   #54
BHPian

One thing which is common in most of DC vehicles is the use of fibre or plastic in the exterior and it looses the color and shine in no time start looking very ugly.

But, usually DC do a pretty good job on the interior and usually the interior looks neat and functional. Again most of DC's interiors are predictive, one can expecte beige interiors with a hint of artificial wood, reclining seats and a 26 inch LCD with recliner seats.

I used to see lot of DC kitted buses plying in the Bangalore - Kerala route earlier, I think the number has reduced now.
Old 16th November 2008, 23:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Thank you!

And yes, thats exactly what I'm trying to outline. BMW cannot look to it's past to evolve, like Mercedes is trying to do with its new designs. Thats why they needed a Bangle. And it's done them a hell of a lot more good than harm.
In terms of looks, the only gen. BMW's I have liked are the ones immediately prior to the Bangled ones.
Other things aside, one company which has maintained/retained it's essence in it's car designs to date is Porsche.
Old 16th November 2008, 23:33   #56
BHPian

Had been to the expo had a wonderfulll time courtesy sam and his group of JBL some really hot cars and women. Saw this DC roller it looked so similar to his AMBIEROD the wheels the rear only the front was a part of the roller it was not impressive at all. I wonder if its the same ambierod with a roller front.
Old 18th November 2008, 00:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
I am sure your opinion is gonna change after seeing this pic (pic courtesy 'Insaneroller').
I have clicked pics of this one from quite a few angles but haven't uploaded them as yet. If someone else has, please post em up.
Here are the ones I have clicked.

Is it really a Roller?

The Red colour would have looked good on any other trendy car but on a RR it just looks pathetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-pb150044a.jpg  

Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-pb150044b.jpg  

Old 18th November 2008, 03:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
Here are the ones I have clicked.

Is it really a Roller?

The Red colour would have looked good on any other trendy car but on a RR it just looks pathetic.
From the side angle, it looks like a modified Amby!
Old 18th November 2008, 03:58   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
From the side angle, it looks like a modified Amby!
Thats because it kind-of is

I will say i did like the front view, but everything else just did not match, and reminded me of an ambasador (I wonder why...hmmm). Then i realised that it was pretty much the DC Ambierod with a new front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
...I wonder if its the same ambierod with a roller front.
See any similarities??

Rs 2 cr Rolls Royce gets Rs 1 cr makeover from DC-compare_dc_rolls_ambierod.jpg

Link to TBHP "DC Ambierod thread" : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...super-car.html

cya
R

Ambierod Image Source

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2008 at 04:02.
Old 18th November 2008, 07:31   #60
BHPian

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....2_ambierod.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks