Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:04   #106
BHPian

The new Ford Fiesta will be the first product vehicle from any of the Detroit automakers to have a dual clutch transmission, and production is starting today. The Ford PowerShift gearboxes are being built at the Getrag Americas joint venture factory in Irapuato, Mexico. At launch the plant is employing 200 people, a number that will double later this year when the plant also starts building the same transmissions for the 2012 Focus.

Ford starts production of six-speed dual clutch PowerShift transmission — Autoblog

ACI Nov 2010 issue confirms the news that Fiesta will be available with a DSG option
Old 4th November 2010, 11:33   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
Figo is nothing but a boot cut of Ford Ikon.
Wrong. The Figo is a "boot cut" Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Interiors seem to be a step up from the current version.
For the Fiesta to become a proper 8 lakh sedan again, it'll need to have larger interiors. The current gen is simply too small compared to newer launches in the segment.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:08   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wrong. The Figo is a "boot cut" Fiesta.
AFAIK, the Figo is THE Ford Fiesta Mark V (Fiesta Mark V 2005 - 2008, facelifted version), which was phased out in 2008 worldwide (The most used/preferred term being, based on). Figo has a modified headlight unit and bonnet design.
Old 5th November 2010, 09:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the Fiesta to become a proper 8 lakh sedan again, it'll need to have larger interiors. The current gen is simply too small compared to newer launches in the segment.
Well by that logic the Manza should also be in 8+ segment then. Agreed that the Fiesta does seem smaller than the competition but when I checked out the Linea Tjet, the Linea did not seem any larger in space than the Fiesta. Yes the City and the Vento are much more roomier. So I guess its the generation gap more than the interior space that relegates it to the bottom of the pack. it almost a 6+ year old design now and no amount of Fiesta 'S' type embellishments can justify a 8+ lakh tag now. Ford absolutely needs the new Fiesta now and a roomier one will only be better.

Last edited by SPARKled : 5th November 2010 at 10:03.
Old 5th November 2010, 10:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Ford absolutely needs the new Fiesta now and a roomier one will only be better.
I read some where (probably ACI) that even new Fiesta is not very roomy. I will try to post the source.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:04   #111
Team-BHP Support

Just like many other cars, this Fiesta was designed to be a hatchback and only a hatchback. What Ford has done here is tinkered with the design and added a boot just so that they can sell it in markets like China, India, etc. This is not the first time Ford, or for that matter, any company has done this in order to expand into several markets and improve sales.

People in India will lap it up, assuming that it would be available with a diesel engine. The looks will grow on them quite soon. Ford just has to play its cards right, like they've done with the Figo. Price it right and they have a winner on their hands!

@ GTO: Isn't the Figo essentially a remodeled Fusion?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th November 2010 at 11:05.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Not sure if i like the external looks of the sedan, although the hatch looks killer! Interiors seem to be a step up from the current version.
With this release, would the current Fiesta be moved to the entry level sedan segment, replacing the Ikon?
Exactly. The sedan does look like an after thought, especially after the gorgeous hatch. The boot integration reminds me of the NHC. The current Fiesta looks like a proper sedan. Even the ikon looks less of a hatch + boot job.

The interiors are a huge jump forward though. The Nokia business phone inspired dash looks fantastic. Although the josh factor might be dulled a little by the electric steering on the new Fiesta.

It does look like the current Fiesta would be moved down to an entry level positioning. Now that the Figo is doing good numbers, the Fiesta is automatically cheaper to make. Hence, the ikon might be on its way out soon. Which is a pity, as it is and will remain the original josh machine!
Old 5th November 2010, 11:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

The car looks like the result of Fiesta hooking up with NHC
Looks be damned, if the price it well with a 1.6L diesel it will sell like hot cakes in India.
Old 5th November 2010, 12:12   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Looks be damned, if the price it well with a 1.6L diesel it will sell like hot cakes in India.
1.6L diesel is not the engine you should be looking for. Only 90 Bhp with 200 Nm of torque.
1.6 Petrol with 115 Bhp should be a better choice. Though in India I will not be surprised if Diesel outsells the petrol.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Pic source: Auto car India
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Fiesta sedan revealed-04112010187.jpg  

2010 Fiesta sedan revealed-04112010188.jpg  

Old 8th November 2010, 22:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Great catch Sidindica! Ford seems to have realized that they cant really wait a long time to launch the Fiesta sedan as the old one is now way too old. Looks like sedan and the hatch will be launched close to each other if not together.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:52   #117
BHPian

I think this is the first time the sedan has been spotted testing. All this while, we have seen spyshots of only the hatch being tested. I hope they release both the hatch and sedan in Q1 11
Old 9th November 2010, 13:33   #118
Team-BHP Support

Here is a link from "CarTradeIndia" talking about the same. Report claims sedan to be released by Jan 2011.

New Euro Ford Fiesta Spied in India
Old 9th November 2010, 15:45   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here is a link from "CarTradeIndia" talking about the same. Report claims sedan to be released by Jan 2011.

New Euro Ford Fiesta Spied in India
The link also says "The model is expected to be launched in India by Jan-Feb 2011 and will be priced between Rs. 6.8- 7.7 lakh."

I cannot believe that Ford can launch it at that price. Maybe they are talking about the hatch prices for which the diesel might go up to 7lac category.
Old 9th November 2010, 18:26   #120
BHPian

Our detailed review of the new Fiesta has been uploaded here : Ford Fiesta Test Drive & Review

Please continue the discussion in that thread.

Thread closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I read some where (probably ACI) that even new Fiesta is not very roomy. I will try to post the source.
Yep, the new fiesta has a wheelbase of just 2489mm (I think same as figo and 3mm more than the current fiesta). I hope Ford has used the wheelbase efficiently to liberate more room. The only negative aspect (from my perspective) of the current fiesta is that it is cramped when compared to AHNC/verna/Linea/Vento.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2011 at 12:52. Reason: Adding link to our Fiesta review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed