Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2005, 15:22   #16
BHPian

IMHO it should have been priced less than 10 lakhs. I am really surprised at their pricing. Does not look VFM at 14.3 lakhs.

Also their website shows the same price for all cities. However, they say check with the dealer for price. Your guess is as good as mine.

Subbu once mentioned that Hyundai never discounts their cars for it means cheating their early customers.....but the Hyundai dealers practice something else. Do not know who finances the discounts, though.
Old 7th April 2005, 15:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
Subbu once mentioned that Hyundai never discounts their cars for it means cheating their early customers.....but the Hyundai dealers practice something else. Do not know who finances the discounts, though.
My experience has been quite the opposite - same price across dealers, and no discounts except those authorised by the company.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:56   #18
BHPian

i think hyundai is trying to charge a premium for their brand name which has been unbelievably popular here in india. they do make some fine cars but i dont think this gamble would pay off much.
as far as the figures indicate, hyundai's only 2 successful cars are santro and accent.
the rest 4 cars havent been any success...

sonata: sold well initially but spoiled by the new accord...and 16L for the top sonata...u gotta be kidding me!!!

elantra: too much hype...no good design...cant beat the skoda or the corolla

teraccan: why launch it at a price where one can think of getting a merc also...and after the x-trail, it had no chance...

getz: the biggest mistake on pricing...i think they could have afforded to price it much cheaper than 5.00L ex-delhi...you can easily get an accent for a little over 5 grands more...

another mistake, the kind of adverts they put on were targetted more on the youths. the indian market is still not mature enough for the youths to have their own personel rides. they still have to ride their good'ol family automobile...the target audience definitely should have been the "average" family man. after all one of its biggest pros was the comfortable ride.

i think hyundai as all the others (except HONDA and TOYOTA ::salute: have made some marketing mistakes and they still need to learn the market a bit more.
Old 8th April 2005, 00:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO it should have been priced less than 10 lakhs.

Its not feasible to price any small SUV under 10 lacs and espically when it is a CBU .

Quote:
I am really surprised at their pricing.
So are we , the main problem is that these bloody Hyundai people know very well that currently there is no Diesel suv(crossover) in this diesel crazy country , so they ****ers want to take the full advantage and thats the main reason for pricing the Tucson so high , had the fortuner or for that matter diesel cr-v been there , would ve altogether been a different story .

And would you believe it , there's no leather seat covers and BC bumpers but as far as discounting the Tucson(near future) is concerned , i dont think thats going to happen as its a CBU ,not a CKD, a good example being Terracan .

Last edited by Beemer : 8th April 2005 at 00:52.
Old 8th April 2005, 10:14   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hyundai's only 2 successful cars are santro and accent.
Its not limited to Hyundai. The other two mass B segment sellers - Maruti and Tata - also have problems selling their higher end products

GTO
Old 8th April 2005, 10:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

very true..dont see a lot of vitaras on the road
Old 8th April 2005, 10:50   #22

Quote:
hyundai's only 2 successful cars are santro and accent.
Agree..but Hyundai did manage to create waves in market with every single product launched so far. Of late their pricing is not well though of.

Getz,Elantra's medicore performance is attributed to the same reason. Somehow the brand doesn't deserve such a premium.
Old 8th April 2005, 18:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Sandeep, the reason for Getz mediocore performance is the fact that it is priced at C- level car money.
The indian logic says that a car with a boot is more prestigous then one without and therefore buyers prefer the indigo over getz.
The Getz however is not over priced for an indian supermini.
Old 9th April 2005, 11:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Sandeep, the reason for Getz mediocore performance is the fact that it is priced at C- level car money.
The indian logic says that a car with a boot is more prestigous then one without and therefore buyers prefer the indigo over getz.
The Getz however is not over priced for an indian supermini.
The Getz is creating a new 'sub-category' and therefore its success is not to be gauged against sales from A or A+ category cars. Given the fact that it wasnt meant to be a mass-market product anyway, I think its doing fairly okay. Getz to see a lot of them in Kerala.

As for the Elantra, its a pity about its looks since it is otherwise quite a competent car. The Torque on the diesel is addictive and can get you to keep playing with the throttle - its also fairly roomy considering the competition, except for backseats that are placed rather low for comfort - the saving grace is the legroom.

They do make good cars, but they've got the Tucson pricing horribly wrong - at least as far as I am concerned. Guess I'll wait for the 3.0 Common-Rail Safari, even if it means I'm going to have to change all the switchgear on a brand new car.
Old 9th April 2005, 11:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey steeroid,
why not an used endeavour or even the scorpio CRDe?
Tata is not launching the safari CRDi.
Old 9th April 2005, 12:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

TATA in all probability will launch the new Common-rail Safari in 2007, when their new platform is due. BS-3 regs will be met with their anaemic IDI engine.
Old 9th April 2005, 12:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Hey steeroid,
why not an used endeavour or even the scorpio CRDe?
Tata is not launching the safari CRDi.
1. Endeavour is too big, too choppy to ride in and at the end of the day lacks the grunt for the price you end up paying.

2. I wouldnt drive a Scorpio if it came free - try braking at 80 kmph or above and you will lose any confidence you have in it. At the end of the day its an Armada in a Tuxedo, though the engine is a gem. Not enough room inside for what is a fairly largish vehicle, too.
Old 9th April 2005, 12:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Well in that case, only the crude SUVs are left out.
You can think about an MUV.
Damn, I guess the Tucson oes have a market if someone is looking for a small yet big from inside, disel off roader.
But most true SUV fans will still plonk or a Endeavour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks