Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2005, 21:11   #1
vtec

Hyundai When will they learn

Just read in times drive April 1 issue that Sonatas going cheap and Elantra @ 7 lacs. So today at the launch of the Tucson(pronounced Too-sawn)i called up Sharayu Hyundai(New Mumbai) I first enquired about the Sonata. So the sales man starts off saying that the Sonata S20 basic price is 11 lacs 20 thousand + registration + insurance and the 2.7 V6 H-Matic is for 15 lacs + registration + insurance = Some thing around 16.5 lacs on road. Then i asked him what about the discounts. He said that 2.5 lacs discount on the car. Then i told him that Times drive issue qouted the following prices. He tells me that the price are wrong. They were the previous prices. Now price of Sonata has been increased. I told him that the Sonata current model is being phased out so i dont see any reasons for price to increase should no it decrease. Then he tells me No prices have increased. Then i ask him about the Elantra.
He starts off saying.
GT - 8,55L
GLS - 9,29
CRDi - 10,29
All prices ex-showroom. Then i tell him what about the discounts. He tells me 26K. I bought a New Honda City with 30K discount and a wating of some 4 months and he tells me that a car which is not selling will get you some 26K discount :WTF: I lose my mind and cut the phone.
Then i call up Continetal hyundai. They are rude enough to keep my on hold. So then i call Hyundai Motor Plaza again they do the same as continental. Then jayabharat does the same and then i call up phoenix. The female picks up and tells me to call after 5 mins as the sales person not there. I get frustrated and tell her that this is the attitude of Hyundai that i am trying to enquire and you just putting me on hold. So she just tells me sorry and finally in around 10 secs a person comes on the line. I ask him the prizes of the same Sonata. He tells me the prices on Road, Vashi.
Sonata S20 - 8,92L
Sonata 2.7 V6 H-Matic - 11,20L
And the same prices of the Elantra but with a discount of 50K. I tell him that the car not worth 11L and he tells me that it as ABS, EBD, TCS and all. Wonder how come it doesnot work. I Had gone for a test drive of both the versions of the Elantra and on rough surfaces with TCS on the car did wheel spin. When i braked from 150 it locked up. Wheras the RS Octavia was totally sound in the same conditions. Just wondering what cheap quality ABS systems they having. Then he tells me that Tucson has come and it comes in both diesel and petrol. He tells me that the expected price is 17L and i tell him then why wont i buy a Terracan at 19L he tells me that the terracan is 21L. Hyundai is just gone crazy pricing cars like they some Merc Manufacturers. I really dont think that Hyundai has something good to talk about. The Santro a box on wheels IMHO. The Accent nothing to talk about excpet the CRDi engines(Drifter must agree with that). But priced so high that you get a good SUV(Scorpio at the same price) The Sonata well indeed not worth buying if its in Accord territory. Its just copying that makes a Hyundai Sonata. Hyundai Elantra a bigger Accent thats what i told the dealer and he tells me you also look at the Indica and Indigo they also similar. I tell him that they the same platform and then he shuts up. Such a cramped car the Elantra is that even a Indigo can give it shame in comfort and that at half the price. Terracan is something i wouldnot buy at that price. Rather get a 2.8Pajero at similar price. Tucson no way please. I would buy a CRv any day. Also the Getz nothing spectacular about it. Its just that Hyundai cars have one thing in common and thats all show and no go. None of them perform on road. They perform only on paper. When will we get to see a fast Hyundai. At least some decent performance of 0 - 100 in around 10 secs is expected which none of the cars are capable of. Even the Corolla does it in 9.07 secs whereas the Elantra is some thing like 13 for the diesel. They tell me that Elantras price is justified with its lenght. Well after finding out today i would never want to buy a Hyundai. I would agree with shantanus saying that there is nothing better then a Toyota and a Honda in the garage.

P.S Nothing towards Hyundai owners.

Last edited by vtec : 7th April 2005 at 21:13.

Old 7th April 2005, 21:43   #2
BHPian

Hey VTEC welcome aboard man. The same thing we were discussing here too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4917

check that thread out. Its very much true that of late Hyundai's pricing is a bit wierd.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:03   #3
vtec

Hey Harrie.

Thanks. I am really very angry at Hyundai They just are aiming like Maruti these days. More the model better it is

Old 7th April 2005, 22:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion.. Hyundai sucks... period.

Heard about there latest ad. campaign??.. "we can sit 5 people comfortably in Santro because we have 5 seatbelts blah blah blah.. danger blah blah blah...."
why can they just keep their mouth shut and make some quality cars...
Old 7th April 2005, 22:33   #5
BHPian

True. Hyundai seems to be doing all wrong things of late. No offense meant but they are some how positioning their products in the wrong category. It takes more than just flashy looks to compete with a Honda as they found out with the sonata. Maybe that is going to be the case with Tuscon too.
Old 7th April 2005, 22:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

And just to make it very clear, Vtec isn't me, logging in as a diff user. LOL

I'm sure that must have crossed, some off your minds already. Haha

Hey "Vtec" is it possible that we might have got seperated at one off them "Kumbh Melas"? Coz your way of thinking is so bloody similar to mine. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 23:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
And just to make it very clear, Vtec isn't me, logging in as a diff user. LOL
Hmmmm!! Shan...u are clearing it even when there is no interrogation. Sounds fishy joking!!!!
Old 7th April 2005, 23:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm!! Shan...u are clearing it even when there is no interrogation. Sounds fishy joking!!!!
You seriously think i'm capable of spending a whole day calling up Hyundai showrooms all over town, and asking them how much their cars cost? What makes u think i'd even be bothered. hehe

Shan2nu
Old 8th April 2005, 01:39   #9
BANNED

I am so glad I found a thread to bitch on Hyundai.

Last year I was shopping for a mid-size car for my wife. I test drove the Sonata. I could feel the engine vibration on the steering wheel. Handled like a dog. True there is a lot of standard equipment, but all of them are sub standard. The switches, and controls can be rocked, they do not fit well. Everytime the automatic switches gears, you feel butterflies in your tummy.

The other cars I tried were the Corolla, and the Civic. Both are pucca desi cars in the US. And rightfully so. Desis only buy tried and proven stuff. Both these cars are more expensive than any Hyndai, smaller than Sonata, and less standard equipment. But, the ride is a glide, smooth auto transmission, great handling, zero vibration at more than 120Kmph. Reliable and a great resale value.

I am surprised that a crappy Hyundai is standing the competition from Toyota and Honda. Hyundai's true colors will definitely show up to the masses. I saw the 2006 Sonata at the Paris Auto Show. Looks nice, but I am pretty sure it will be the same as the old one in terms of quality and reliability. A few years back a smoking Hyndai by the freeway was a common sight, now they have improved a little bit, but still have a long way to go.
-Prasadee
Old 8th April 2005, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ahhhhh ... so it is not just Fiat.

But then, look at it realistically. Both Maruti and Hyundai are giants in the Indian car market. What else can you expect but a bit of arrogance and bad communication? Besides they make decent cars and have a good after sales network. That said, if you are looking for a really good car, then why do you even try Hyundai? Honda, Toyota and Skoda are light years ahead.
Old 8th April 2005, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Santro is the largest selling car. period.
No amount of bad mouthing by us will change that.
A tinBox on wheels. So be it. Who cares?
it rides well in the city and that is about it.

What about the build quality of Toyota and Honda?
great engines in ordinary looking and dated bodies(i mean the corolla) you win some lose some. Toyotas and Hondas are also not here in India for charity..

Sometimes I believe that the americans are better.
Look at sail 1.6, Ikon 1.6. very Good cars.
Old 8th April 2005, 12:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Heard about there latest ad. campaign??.. "we can sit 5 people comfortably in Santro because we have 5 seatbelts blah blah blah.. danger blah blah blah...."
Heard this ad on Radio City FM 91 today.

Kitne admi hain?
Paanch sarkar
Aur seat belts char? Bahut Na Insafi hain...
Dishkooo (Gun Shot sound)
Ab teek hain...

Then they talk about Santro's 5 seat feature...
Old 8th April 2005, 12:25   #13
vtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Hey "Vtec" is it possible that we might have got seperated at one off them "Kumbh Melas"? Coz your way of thinking is so bloody similar to mine. LOL

Shan2nu
Possiblities can not be ruled out

Old 8th April 2005, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard this ad on Radio City FM 91 today.

Kitne admi hain?
Paanch sarkar
Aur seat belts char? Bahut Na Insafi hain...
Dishkooo (Gun Shot sound)
Ab teek hain...

Then they talk about Santro's 5 seat feature...
Thats the most crappy thing I've heard in ages . LOL had me in splits

Dippy
Old 8th April 2005, 12:30   #15
vtec

Hey VS santro may be a nice car but dont you think it is highly over-rated. People just buy it because of Hyundais aggresive marketing. Getting Shahrukh and Preity In is just doin the magic rest nothin great about the Santro. I agree with dceite that Hyundai sucks. I went to buy a Santro some 5 years back and then Sharayu spoke all crap telling me that Power windows this much extra you have to give music system more this and kept on adding that the price reached the Esteems. Also their stupid ad campaign just because Wagon R has exceeded Santro sales is really silly. Samurai its just too buging to hear such things from Hyundai.. 5 seater Santro who cares a damn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks