Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 10:14   #46
BHPian

Now, no-frills Alto to take on Tata Nano

NEW DELHI: Maruti Suzuki, which sells every second car sold in India, is going to refresh its entire existing portfolio of older models in the next two years, a top company executive said.

Swift, the largest selling premium hatchback in the country, will get a fresh design and new petrol engine while Maruti’s largest selling product Alto will come in two new variants.

A source in the automobile industry with direct knowledge of the plans said Alto will have a stripped down version to compete with Tata Motors’ small car Nano and an upmarket variant loaded with the new KB series engine to take on Hyundai Santro, GM’s Spark and other compact cars in the market.

Maruti’s other cars, the ageing WagonR and the Versa are also being overhauled while the company will tweak the engines of 25-year old Maruti 800 and the Omni to meet the new BS4 emission standards coming in April 2010. The sports utility vehicle Grand Vitara will also don a new engine.

Maruti Suzuki MD & CEO S Nakanishi said, “We have exhausted our quota of new cars with eight new launches in India in the past three years. Now we are looking at strengthening our leadership by refreshing our old portfolio.” The company has developed the new KB series petrol engines with an investment of Rs 1,200 crore, which will be strapped in several of these cars. In addition the company capex of Rs 1,800 crore in the fiscal will also fund the portfolio revamp.

By refreshing the portfolio Maruti will save on huge incremental costs that goes into developing new cars and platforms. As against the minimum cost of Rs 50-100 crore for upgrading a car, developing a new car could eat up investments of Rs 600-1,000 crore.

Meanwhile, Maruti may also bring its new sedan Kizashi to India sometime next year. Developed by its Japanese parent Suzuki Motor Corp, it will compete with the likes of Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra. The company spokesperson however refused to commit anything on the Kizashi launch.

Source : Now, no-frills Alto to take on Tata Nano- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

-----------------

I wonder how trustworthy their sources are. Usually they rely on hunches than the facts but just though sharing.
Old 13th July 2009, 21:48   #47
BHPian

MUL flashes yet another Alto Flash

Maruti seems to have launched yet another limited edition (Alto Flash) in a limited market (Pune). Check out the following news report.

PUNE (JULY 12): Maruti Suzuki launched a new variant of the Alto – the limited edition Alto Flash in Pune . Alto Flash is loaded with enhanced features and stylised aesthetics.
For customer comfort, it has front power windows, designer graphics and art leather seat covers. The body-coloured feather-touch mirror, door handles, bumpers and body moulding are other attraction, said a press release.
This car comes in five colour options: silky silver, pearl silver, blue blaze, fire brick red and white. Alto Flash is being offered with free in-built accessories worth Rs. 18,500.
Although a limited edition, Alto Flash is priced in the same ex-showroom price range as that of the Alto. The Alto has sold over a million units since its launch in 2000.
The car, certified by ARAI, has a mileage of 18.1 kmpl, said the release.

(Source: Indian Express)
Old 14th July 2009, 12:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yep the Flash looks like they dipped the whole car in paint. Similar to what they did earlier, only this time they are publishing details in Advert.

Btw what are these feather touch mirrors? They look like the VXi ones & they are certainly not feather touch.

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-altoflash.png
Old 14th July 2009, 14:54   #49
BHPian

Just now enquired Bimal in Bangalore and they say that no such offer or limited editions are available in Bangalore for Alto. Seems like the offer is available only in Pune?
Old 14th July 2009, 16:43   #50
BHPian

Is that what we call as Limited Editions ???
Front power windows, body colored door handles-bumpers-mirrors are very much common now days !!
& BTW, what are those feather touch mirrors ??

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 14th July 2009 at 16:46.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:46   #51
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Just now enquired Bimal in Bangalore and they say that no such offer or limited editions are available in Bangalore for Alto. Seems like the offer is available only in Pune?
I have seen a few of these at Mandovi Motors on Lavelle Road in BLR.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:00   #52
BHPian

This Alto is there on the display @ Automotive, Nerul (Maruti Suzuki's Showroom) near D.Y.Patil College.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:08   #53
BANNED

So basically the Alto Spice, Alto Xcite and Alto Flash are the same thing. Body coloured bumpers and handles, Leather (fake) seats, rear parcel tray, feather touch mirrors (basically VXi type but not internally adjustable) and some stickers. They are all done up by the dealers as per Maruti specifications. Nothing great about them.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:15   #54
BHPian

I think Alto Swing used to have the same things fitted which were launched in 2004-05.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:30   #55
BHPian

Blah !!! i am not Xcited at all.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:41   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
I think Alto Swing used to have the same things fitted which were launched in 2004-05.
Never heard of this one. I should add it to my last post. The only LE Alto's I had heard of were the Celebration for the Type I and X-Fun for the Type II. These 2 versions came from the factory and were not dealer options.
Old 14th July 2009, 22:21   #57
BHPian

IIRC the current dealer discount on the Alto is more or less equal to the value of these 'accessories' being offered on the Flash. Looks like a smart move to increase dealer margins.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:58   #58
BHPian

No financial gain here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
IIRC the current dealer discount on the Alto is more or less equal to the value of these 'accessories' being offered on the Flash. Looks like a smart move to increase dealer margins.
Yes, I confim that. My father-in-law bought Alto Lxi 15 days ago with total discount of approx. Rs. 17,000/-. He immediately called up dealership yeasterday on seeing this advertisement; as he felt he missed on these free extras. But the dealership confirmed that there are no disounts whatsoever on this Alto Flash.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Alto Limited Edition Xcite launched

Maruti launched Xcite the new LE today and has remote boot opener, central locking, internally adjusted ORVMs etc among others. Thoughat a price these features are needed. What the Alto really needs is another engine like that on the Vx version earlier. Slightly more powerful engine would definitely catapult Alto as a real challenger to the higher end B segment compact cars. Hope soon it will materials in view of the advent of BS IV norms which is mandatory from April 2009.

I have a gut feeling that Maruti would bring in the 1L erstwhile Zen engine with the required mods.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I have a gut feeling that Maruti would bring in the 1L erstwhile Zen engine with the required mods.
If your gut feelings are true, then it would be a stonker of a car , but i think that it would come with the A-Star 3 pot K Series engine for the BS-IV version.

Bring it on Maruti..!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks