Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 16:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

"limited editions" are for those people who want to make thier vehicles look different by putting stupid decals and stickers on thier vehicles!

"limited editions" come with these wierd and funny decals and stickers as OEM standard factory fitment!

no perfomance enhanced at all! remember carbon and steel two door zens which were surplus european stock, sold as "limited edition" to indian public!cheers:
Old 21st November 2008, 16:52   #32
BHPian

India has consistently seen older and newer generation cars sold alongside. sometimes in the same segment, sometimes in different segments.

The problem is that the majority of Indian car buyers are ignorant about a lot of important factors of the car like engine options, safety features and global trends.
moreover there still aren't enough manufacturer options in each segment that can give buyers what they exactly need.

Indian buyers are more interested to how their car looks. comfort features ,stupid decals and most importantly FE. IF a car give all the above things they give a damn to what engines run underneath ,safety and other technology innovations such as ABS,airbags, navigation,etc.

AS long as their car looks different they are happy and they have a car that fits their budget they would buy it.
Otherwise why would Maruti who has so many small cars (800,alto,zen,wagonR,swift,a-star,spark ...and what not ) which in fact are just a couple of models from 3 4 different generations,continue to rule the roost

So unless the buyers are educated enough to make a smart choice ,Automakers will continue to make a fool of the Indian auto buyer and keep reaping profits out of selling old outdated products. NO offense to the fact that old products are still good but not the best anymore.

Nokia 3310 was an excellent mobile and works best with what its expected to do send sms /make and receive calls. Will you still go to the the mobile shop and buy a 3310 . NO. because the mobile phone buyer is now educated and cannot be easily fooled. so if you have to sell him a 3310 sell it for 500 or maybe 1K

Then why a M800 that is probably a 3 decade old model still selling with minor face lifts and hardly any engine upgrade.

P.S. My first car the M800 5-speed MPFi was a great car and I have great respects for it. But then i didn't know about TeamBHP
Old 21st November 2008, 16:53   #33
BHPian

AAh my eyes . In all probability this limited edition has to be done by a committee of 55 year olds which has made the decision based on some "Desi market intelligence of MSIL" or by a five year old kid.

I am wondering at the taste and sensibility of the customer who would say - wow this is cool. Should be a Govinda, Sharuk Kahn, Vijayakanth , Balaiyah Fan (You are welcome to add to this list).
Old 21st November 2008, 17:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys hold on to your horses.

This is limited edition only for Maharashtra region atleast thats what the regional head said in an Interview in TOI last week.

Probably this was a suggestion by Dealers in Maharashtra.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st November 2008 at 17:19.
Old 21st November 2008, 21:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
I clearly heard radio ad for Alto 'Flash'. The link posted by you is 'Xcite'

Oh no! No two 'limited editions' at the same time!!

Alto Vxi is phased out long back.
Dint knew that. Thats a good update for me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
I know it Vinit. I said just in case, if they do it again will it sell like anything. Infact Bouncer has updated your information on that one.
I dont think the Vxi sold so well in numbers. Dont see them often on roads. Never know. I have never been a fan of Limited Editions, except that its actually apart from the crowd. Like the Palio S10.
But even S10 dint do that well, and it took more than a year for Fiat to sell its 500 Limited editions
Old 21st November 2008, 21:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is limited edition only for Maharashtra region atleast thats what the regional head said in an Interview in TOI last week.
This is simply hopeless from Maruti. How can they produce limited version with all those goodies only for Maharashtra?

Looks like they are not interested in sales in other parts of the country.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Dint knew that. Thats a good update for me !

I dont think the Vxi sold so well in numbers. Dont see them often on roads. Never know. I have never been a fan of Limited Editions, except that its actually apart from the crowd. Like the Palio S10.
But even S10 dint do that well, and it took more than a year for Fiat to sell its 500 Limited editions
Alto VXi was doing well but it cannibalised sales of the old zen as the engine was same (1+ litre), so maruti discontinued alto Vxi.. i think the price difference between zen and alto vxi was more than 50K and even people who came to buy zen bought alto instead
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Alto VXi was doing well but it cannibalised sales of the old zen as the engine was same (1+ litre), so maruti discontinued alto Vxi.. i think the price difference between zen and alto vxi was more than 50K and even people who came to buy zen bought alto instead
Alto Vxi and Old Zen were not having same engines. Alto Vxi shared the engine with Wagon R, which also does duty in Estilo now. Old Zen was 990 cc and Wagon R, Alto Vxi have 1061 cc engine.

The logic behind discontinuing Alto Vxi that it was eating into old zen sales is true I guess. Same was the fate of M800 5 speed as it was killing Alto Lx/Lxi sales.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is simply hopeless from Maruti. How can they produce limited version with all those goodies only for Maharashtra?
Yeah thats what even I found weird may be its by local dealers, they might have requested this to boost sales.

It seems MSIL is these days offering custom offerings as per states, I remember last month or so they had reduced price of Alto in South but no such offer was present in Maharashtra or up North.
Old 10th December 2008, 01:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Alto VXi was doing well but it cannibalised sales of the old zen as the engine was same (1+ litre), so maruti discontinued alto Vxi..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
The logic behind discontinuing Alto Vxi that it was eating into old zen sales is true I guess. Same was the fate of M800 5 speed as it was killing Alto Lx/Lxi sales.
In some of the auto mags(long time back) i remember reading the other way round. Alto VXi was discontinued so as to boost Wagon R sales (both having the same 1.1 Ltr engine) which was a new launch then. Wagon R sales started taking a bit of a beating and so this step.
As far as M800 5-speed is concerned, yes it affected the Alto LX/ LXi sales and so it was discontinued.

However, coming back to Alto Limited Edition Flash if it is launched only for the state of Maharashtra as per previous posts, then sorry to say they have got a poor response in terms of sales. I have hardly seen any Alto Flash on Pune roads.

Last edited by dhaval : 10th December 2008 at 01:53. Reason: added one more para.
Old 10th December 2008, 02:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

I heard a friend telling me about the Alto limited edition launched here a few days back.
Will recheck to see the information.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Flash a couple of days back in showroom, It had following changes

- VXi RVMs on both sides
- Decals on doors & at back
- Body coloured bumpers
- All black parts are body coloured inlcuding RVMs, Door handles (includes rear dood lock knob too) which looks gawdy
- Matching seat covers
- Full Wheel caps

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th December 2008 at 15:20.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Guys I suggest please call anytime Maruti customer careto know about Alto Limited Edition. I feel it is dealer specific.

In Bangalore I saw these limited edition of Alto Lxi in showrooms. Its Dealer customized car with Power Window, Alloys, body coloured bumper, seat cover, remote lock, audio player, vxi type OVRMs and so on.

On road cost of this Alto was around 3.8 lacs last month. I feel they came with this plan possibly because:

1. People because of economy stress started to buy Alto instead of medium size hatch like WagonR, Santro etc.. but prefered some cosmetics like remote control, audio player etc.

2. MUL is phasing out Alto for A Star Iff A star is hit or positioning Alto in M800 territory and phasing out M800, so they are doing clearance sale of ALto Lxi.

3. They have huge stock of Alto in factory so trying hard to maintain good sale figure of Alto.

MUL is very clever company only in Marketing so they do come up with such good ideas.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th December 2008, 23:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yawn! Another flash in the pan by maruti! When will they ever lears?? i think they have more 'Limited edition' altos than the regular variety!!
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:28   #45
BHPian

Recently I was surfing on the net where i came across something which was surprising. Read that Maruti-Suzuki is going to launch Limited Edition Alto known as Alto Xcite.
Maruti new Alto Xcite Limited Edition:The new body coloured bumper, body coloured door handles and graphics on the body panels makes the alto to look afresh. The utilatrian look of alto is concealed to some extent with the introduction of these features. But surprisingly inspite of the badge, new alto xcite comes limited edition comes with ‘Xcite’ sticker on the rear and side door. It looks like a cheap advertisement sticker rather than sign of limited edition. You would be shocked, this mileage ka muncher gets sporty dual tone seat covers.Central locking system makes into the new Alto Xcite limited edition. Really an usable addition to the car. Yet another usable addition in the alto xcite limited edition is the rear parcel tray. Will help you to store your luggage properly. It is priced Rs2,98,775. i.e Rs16000 over the regular alto. New Alto Xcite limited edition will be available till the november end. Images attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-maruti_suzuki_alto_xcite_3.jpg  

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-maruti_suzuki_alto_xcite_4.jpg  

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-maruti_suzuki_alto_xcite_7.jpg  

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-maruti_suzuki_alto_xcite_8.jpg  

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)-maruti_suzuki_alto_xcite_10.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks