Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 18:11   #256
BHPian

Vgt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okvinu View Post
Think the reporter don't know the fact that the fiat 1.3 Multijet engine actually pumps 90hp and we are getting a detuned version here for all the swifts/palios/vistas.
He actually does! You don't!

No offences, but the standard issue (Palio MJD, Swift DDiS, Vista Quadrajet) engines are not detuned as such. Atleast not a lot! Infact the engine makes the same power in the (super premium priced) 500 as well!

He has explained exactly why it generates more power. It is because of the variable geometry turbocharger! The same thing that makes the Hyundai Verna and Tata Safari 2.2 VTT make such unbelievable power out of (smallish capacity) Diesel engines. Even more than similar sized petrol ones!

Here's how he has explained it:

Quote:
A larger capacity variable vane turbo replaces the smaller fixed turbo, and that in effect means that this motor now behaves like a larger capacity motor. Power is up to 90bhp from the normal 75, and there is an increase in torque too. The variable geometry turbo acts like a small capacity turbo at low engine speeds, responding quickly, and then, when more power is required at higher engine speeds, the vanes change position offering a greater surface area and increased turbo boost for additional power.

Last edited by Glifford : 4th December 2008 at 18:15.
Old 4th December 2008, 18:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Ignore the Hindu Auto journalist's TD report, his knowledge on Cars and Automobiles is worse than a novice!

Do check the TD report by AutoCar.
How do you know that if you haven't read it? The report is same as Autocar. So aren't you contradicting yourself?
Old 4th December 2008, 18:14   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by okvinu View Post
I read the drive report of Fiat Linea on today's Hindu Metro Plus available distributed from Kochi.
That's the Autocar India review by Shapur Kotwal. Man - there's no point buying ACI - everything is available online for free!
Old 4th December 2008, 18:25   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
How do you know that if you haven't read it? The report is same as Autocar. So aren't you contradicting yourself?
Oh, is it?
When did Hindu start doing this Copy & paste stuff.

Earlier, their so called Auto journo did TD reports.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:01   #260
Senior - BHPian

training is on 7th, 8th and 9th in Mumbai for linea 1.4 16v dohc 94 bhp petrol and 1.3 mjd 16v dohc 90 bhp diesel-active, dynamic and emotion.
stay tuned.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:10   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
training is on 7th, 8th and 9th in Mumbai for linea 1.4 16v dohc 94 bhp petrol and 1.3 mjd 16v dohc 90 bhp diesel-active, dynamic and emotion.
stay tuned.
And 7.44 ex-showroom Delhi for the 1.4 Petrol ?
Old 4th December 2008, 19:19   #262
Senior - BHPian

Just a dumb question but difficult it is to remap the ECU and to increase the PSI of the stock turbo to extract more power, say 100 bhp? What all is involed, would a remap be enough?
Old 4th December 2008, 19:26   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
He actually does! You don't!

No offences, but the standard issue (Palio MJD, Swift DDiS, Vista Quadrajet) engines are not detuned as such. Atleast not a lot! Infact the engine makes the same power in the (super premium priced) 500 as well!

He has explained exactly why it generates more power. It is because of the variable geometry turbocharger! The same thing that makes the Hyundai Verna and Tata Safari 2.2 VTT make such unbelievable power out of (smallish capacity) Diesel engines. Even more than similar sized petrol ones!

Here's how he has explained it:
turbocharge - pumping more Air per Volume of petrol into the cylinders making a highly compressed pressurized atmosphere inside the engine.

For example, the compression ratio of verna is 18 v.s other petrol engines with is 9 or 10. I think Hyundai released the first car which had flat torque diesel engine offering good mileage.

Its funny to see Maruti using those marketing jargon "Flat torque engine" while hyundai has done it long back.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:38   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
IIRC the same narration of the TD is in Dec ACI issue. I did read the article this morning. I did observe that they made a major goof up by putting A-star s engine pic instead of Linea's. See the Suzuki logo in third pic.

Edit :
Here s the A-star pic in a Linea TD report
Absolutely right Rajeha sir. But one more thing i want to give light is lack of headroom in Linea with this statement from Autocar road test { A big disappointment is the lack of headroom and even reasonably short passengers can mess up their hairstyle on the Linea’s well finished roof liner.} After reading this statement my heartbeat just start raising i was waiting for this car for more than 2 years.I am 6 feet and is not an abnormal height. If i can not seat comfortably in rear seat of Linea than no doubt linea design is a ?.
Old 4th December 2008, 20:02   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Oh, is it?
When did Hindu start doing this Copy & paste stuff.

Earlier, their so called Auto journo did TD reports.
They have been borrowing heavily over the last few months in the metro wheels section.
Anyway, looks like this Fiat product is finally seeing the light of the day
Old 4th December 2008, 20:51   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
They have been borrowing heavily over the last few months in the metro wheels section.
Anyway, looks like this Fiat product is finally seeing the light of the day
Also, it is quite common for magazines to enter such agreements with other magazines/publications.

After all if we can share an engine across four models, why worry over an article!
Old 4th December 2008, 22:30   #267
BHPian

one line i really like. cant stop laughing after reading it haha.

0-100 in 15 secs and 140kmph in 30.8 secs put them aside to FIESTA its good.
BUT CARS LIKE VERNA WILL STILL EAT IT FOR LUNCH hehe

no wonder we call the fiesta as bullock carts!!

petrol or diesel. those who still think that the so called 1.6s or exi or zxi or sxi whatever can hold a candle to the verna CRDi or a getz CRDi are living in a fools paradise!!

i had a hope that the linea will be competition now that hope also gone.

all hopes on the ANHC then lolz

my car will be out of the workshop by month end hopefully and i will be probably cleared for driving from my doc also by then!!

2009 is gonna be fun for us guys.

what say guys??
Old 4th December 2008, 22:43   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

petrol or diesel. those who still think that the so called 1.6s or exi or zxi or sxi whatever can hold a candle to the verna CRDi or a getz CRDi are living in a fools paradise!!

my car will be out of the workshop by month end hopefully and i will be probably cleared for driving from my doc also by then!!

what say guys??
Just because a car cannot go faster than verna does not mean it is not worth . There are so many factors that ones needs to consider before buying a car. Maybe for you speed is the only factor. If that was the case why is Verna not the top selling car in C segment.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:46   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

what say guys??
Here we go again. Dude one small advice. No offence. Kindly open a thread seperately about your Verna instead of going ga ga ga in every thread about it. You have every right to post what you want. But common buddy not in every thread about Verna. Other cars have their flaws but common dont treat them like they were born to be bought by some idiots.
My two cents : learn to accept other cars positives .

Lets stick to the Linea here
Old 5th December 2008, 00:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Here we go again. Dude one small advice. No offence. Kindly open a thread seperately about your Verna instead of going ga ga ga in every thread about it. You have every right to post what you want. But common buddy not in every thread about Verna. Other cars have their flaws but common dont treat them like they were born to be bought by some idiots.
My two cents : learn to accept other cars positives .

Lets stick to the Linea here
I agree with Karan as am also seeing same kinda postings all over other threads as well.
As for Verna being fastest and stuff,i have always believed in a race of cars its not d car but d skill in you which decides who is a winner.

Most Viewed