Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 13:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Dude have ever seen any swift without it's front bumper in your life? If you have then you will know that the two red things in front of the radiator that you have called a very thin plate of iron is actually not a plate of iron at all. I dont know what that part is called but it is made of two very heavy gauge iron tubes connected in the centre to each other by a flat sheet of iron. That part is not connected to the radiator in any way.

I think you are talking about the beam, well in case of swift its not beam exactly, but it is there to prevent the damage to engine and radiator in case of low speed crashes. Moreover, in case of high impact, it will help a bit in distributing the energy.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

What makes you say that it is not a beam exactly? Then what is it?
Old 24th November 2008, 13:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What makes you say that it is not a beam exactly? Then what is it?
IMHO, the beam is a structural member that shares takes load and gives support and this is on continuous basis. This function is not done by the " Impact Beam " that is in conversation. But IMO, we can limit this to me.

Here the impact " beam " does not support any structural load on it.
I dont know what would I call, but its called " Impact beam ", but not for me.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Dude have ever seen any swift without it's front bumper in your life? If you have then you will know that the two red things in front of the radiator that you have called a very thin plate of iron is actually not a plate of iron at all. I dont know what that part is called but it is made of two very heavy gauge iron tubes connected in the centre to each other by a flat sheet of iron. That part is not connected to the radiator in any way.
Dude, i own 2 Maruti cars too, i do visit Maruti Service Station too at the time of service, i see accidental maruti cars in the service station. I had seen swift without the front bumper. No beams were there.

If you ever get a chance to see the beams used in Hyundai cars, just check it. You will come to know what beam i'm talking about .

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Ok I may be wrong then. It must be a good thing if the Santro has it. Now, why my Swift doesn't have it then? Having said that, I would still prefer a car that protects the passengers first and then the radiator.
lol cost cutting, because bumper assembly is different for different companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
such impact beams come into picture only at very low speeds buddy. as said, at high speeds they are useless. so at low/city speeds, nothing will happen to the passenger in the even of a crash, but of course, if he is wearing a seat belt.

Its not very low speed. for impact at speed 50-60 kmph they are useful.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Steering back to the point friends..
it doesnt matter what shape the car is egg shape or pear shaped or coconut shaped; it also doesnt have to do with the build quality either. Its not that parts of the swift fall off while driving resulting in an accident.

Simply put, depending on the dimensions, design and ability of a vehicle every vehicle has to be driven accordingly. that applies in case of the swift too.
If you stick the nose of your car too close without the right judgement(driver error/limitation) then you have a dented nose, same for the sides and rear.

So friends, thers nothing wrong with the swift. Those who drive the swift are unable to correctly judge the exterior dimensions of their vehicle correctly while sitting inside.
cheers:
Old 24th November 2008, 15:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Steering back to the point friends..
it doesnt matter what shape the car is egg shape or pear shaped or coconut shaped; it also doesnt have to do with the build quality either. Its not that parts of the swift fall off while driving resulting in an accident.

Simply put, depending on the dimensions, design and ability of a vehicle every vehicle has to be driven accordingly. that applies in case of the swift too.
If you stick the nose of your car too close without the right judgement(driver error/limitation) then you have a dented nose, same for the sides and rear.

So friends, thers nothing wrong with the swift. Those who drive the swift are unable to correctly judge the exterior dimensions of their vehicle correctly while sitting inside.
cheers:
Parts falling Off.

Right about the judgement.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:34   #82
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

There were 4 occupants in the car who came out unhurt! Infact we were shocked to see the axle being broken for a minor collision!
Occupant safety and safety to the car(as in the amount of damage sustained in the accident) are two different things.

How can the cars damage be held against the Zen when the occupants all walked away unhurt?(minor or non minor accident notwithstanding).
Old 24th November 2008, 15:38   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Title of this thread is misleading.

Edit: Agree with mclaren1885. Can we have some of the Swift owners here share their personal experience of accidents? That will give a good idea about safety.
I had posted last year an incident when to avert a motorcyclist I had to go over a low divider ending up with front wheels on the opposite lane and the rear ones on my lane.

Under the impact nothing much was felt inside except for the visual shock of the vehicle grinding over the divider. The bumper crumpled and radiator sprouted a leak and the lower right arm had to be replaced to get wheel aligned back with a replacement of the right wheel.

I think Swift came out well considering the state in which it rested after the accident.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:48   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Occupant safety and safety to the car(as in the amount of damage sustained in the accident) are two different things.

How can the cars damage be held against the Zen when the occupants all walked away unhurt?(minor or non minor accident notwithstanding).
I never mentioned there is a connection mate and I beleive I can understand the difference as you had quoted!

During the impact, we hardly had a jerk inside the car. It means the impact was a very normal one on a normal residential road! Beleive me the front bumper was intact even after the collision.

The only shocking thing was to see the car with its front wheels looking away from each other for a small impact!
Old 24th November 2008, 15:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IMHO, the beam is a structural member that shares takes load and gives support and this is on continuous basis. This function is not done by the " Impact Beam " that is in conversation. But IMO, we can limit this to me.

Here the impact " beam " does not support any structural load on it.
I dont know what would I call, but its called " Impact beam ", but not for me.
I think its called "Bumper Reinforcement".
Old 24th November 2008, 15:57   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
I had seen swift without the front bumper. No beams were there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
I think its called "Bumper Reinforcement".
Then how come my car has it. I for sure did not install it. Infact the hella lamps on my car are fitted onto brackets that are welded onto the bumper reinforcement.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:21   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Then how come my car has it. I for sure did not install it. Infact the hella lamps on my car are fitted onto brackets that are welded onto the bumper reinforcement.
lamps brakets are welded on the impact beams? strange!! what's the length of that beam which your swift has?

For that "Bumper Reinforcement". i said "I Think" i.e not sure of that technical name.

Last edited by Gangsta : 24th November 2008 at 16:23.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of exact length. My guesstimate would be between 3 & 4ft long.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:28   #89
BHPian

It might things if somebody can post pictures of the "bumper reinforcements" on Santro and Swift. I know for sure that my Swift has a round metallic rod running from left to right just in front of the radiator. But Gangsta says that is only a radiator protector.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

It is not just a radiator protector. It is also used for the triggering of air bags and also aagoswami has pointed out in high sped impacts it is used to distribute energy. The air bag deployment sensors are just behind this bar.

OT: I once hit a stray dog that ran out into the middle of the road at about 60 kmph. There was absolutely no damage to the bumper except for a minor cut which is not even visible. It is this bar that protected the bumper from caving in.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th November 2008 at 16:35.

Most Viewed