Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is the Swift prone to accidents?

Hi,
I must say i find myself eye balling the swift's on the roads probably due to it's looks :-) but what i have seem to observe is that most of the swifts
basicaly which are more than 3-4 months old have dents,scratches and bumps on the body panel.Many have their bumpers misaligned.
Now i am not being paranoid but if you really were to observe the swifts on the road you will find some sought of body panel which needs repair.

Does this mean that the swift is not a good car to drive in chaotic Indian driving conditions.Could it be that the Swift does not provide the best view to the driver leading to improper judgement.
I could be imagining things but somehow this is what i have observed most about the swift.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cars are not prone to accidents. The drivers who drive them are.!!
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:29   #3
BANNED

That was a nice one, jaysmokesleaves!!!

Basically, inexperience / bad judgement of vehicle size / width, and the enthu which comes from a good handling!!!
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Jay. But at the same time, the extended wheel archs of the Swift are prone to scratches and dents !
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Agree with Eddy. The Swift's is pear shaped and most of them have scratches on the wheel arches. And with a rear end that chubby, it can get a bit close sometimes!
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Basically, inexperience / bad judgement of vehicle size / width, and the enthu which comes from a good handling!!!
I think Swift needs time to get used to. The strange shape on the sides possibles causes the bad judgement. The track width to cabin width ratio is slightly different compared to the other cars.
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I guess its true due to the following factors:

1) This car sells like hotcakes
2) For car's under 5 lakhs that sell the most, this car is the widest
3) For car's that sell under 5 lakhs this car is the fastest (Getz Diesel not considered)

The above factors combined result in this. Another car that closely matches the above criteria is Indica, and you do find them too damaged quite a lot.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

flimsy sheet metal, flimsy plastic, eager engines, obliging suspension. Looks like a reciepe for trouble. just add a driver !
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I must say i find myself eye balling the swift's on the roads probably due to it's looks :-)
There you are! Haven't you seen Indicas, WagonRs, Zens, 800s, Omnis etc scratched and dented?

As jaysmokesleaves says, its the drivers. Yes, drivers have to be a little careful of the wheel arcs, but inexperienced drivers are not careful or misjudge.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Cars are not prone to accidents. The drivers who drive them are.!!
Full agreement with Jay.

And why single out Swift! Indica and Omni are the ones which I would see with more dents. Again I would think the drivers are the cause and not the car.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have always thought that the EPS is too responsive that you always tend to go out of control whenever you make an instinct turn when something just jumps in front of you(which is quite normal on our roads). I've always felt that the steering needed to be a little more hard.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Does this mean that the swift is not a good car to drive in chaotic Indian driving conditions.Could it be that the Swift does not provide the best view to the driver leading to improper judgement.
I could be imagining things but somehow this is what i have observed most about the swift.
Driven the car in bumper-to-bumper traffic, no problems what so ever! Yes, i have scratched the wheel caps :P, but that was my mistake.

Overall, great car to drive!
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is absolutely no problems with the Swift. As others have already said its the drivers who cause the accidents. It maybe also because there are quite a lot of people who choose to buy cars like swift as their first car, so its quite common having small dents and scratches.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:39   #14
BHPian

I fully agree with all you guys.

I was owing a Santro that too of Grey shade ( cement gray) for more than 7 years driving around in Bangalore traffic driving for almost 70~80 kms daily and clocked over 1.2 lac kms and was still in show room condition and not even a single scratch !!

Now presently I own a 2007 black swift VXI and I find a lot of scratches which are because of my daily washing and cleaning. Also as rightly commented , its got funny wheel arches which are prone to get dents & scratches. Also you cant really gauge its width because of the shape of the body, but a good driver should understand this by driving a few kilometres.

One thing is certain without doubt is the fact that, its got the lousiest sheet metal and very poor quality of painting and internal plastics inside.

Just observe the hand rests and the top roof covering and you know the quality !!

IMHO, quality of Maruti is just not comparable to Hyundai even though its slightly expensive. Even the attitude & workmanship of the MAruti *** is pathetic.

Good engine, good maintenance costs , super silent and a little improved quality would have been great !!
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
...Many have their bumpers misaligned...
The bumpers are probably one of the worst kinds seen in automotive history. Am I going overboard with this statement? Ok, make that 'one of the worst among the current premium hatches'.

Mind you, I have owned Swift for 18 months and never had a scratch on the sides, but bumpers...(sigh)...they are made of the thinnest plastic you can imagine. Probably the only sore point in an otherwise wonderful car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks