Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 13:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

A few days ago my car (Maruti WagonR) had started showing abnormally high temperature when I was on my way to a relative's place in Faridabad.
The high temperature was causing panic amongst us. The area too was a bit isolated, in the sense it was kind of village area.Thankfully, just about 200ms ahead, i saw a board "Authorized Maruti Service station".
Turned out it was a newly opened MASS, and i showed my car to them. It was a case of blown fuse. It was promptly corrected. Not only that, as a gesture of goodwill, me being one of the first customers, they gave a external car wash and touch up job on one of the scratch. All this free of cost!

I hope this partially answers your query, why Maruti.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

I can also vouch for quality of Maruti cars! I own an Alto Lxi for 3 years now and it has not failed me even once on the road. I've had all the mandatory services done on time.
As for the quality of their service, I have none but the very best words. The car comes home sparkling clean from the Service center on each service. Few days back I had to get my windscreen changed as it had cracked (thanks to a flying stone piece from a truck going in front of me). The service center implored me to get one severe dent fixed (that I had once gotten while reversing the car). I was initially hesitant (as that meant I had to leave car with them overnight and the problem was the car was almost on full tank!) Anyway I did go for the dent repair work (it was a very unique kind of dent, like as if something very sharp has made it and was about 6 inches long). Anyway next day when I visited the service staion I couldnt really recognise my car from the back. It was just like new!!! No trace of the dent at all. Very very good work done. Very professional indeed. And I checked they hadnt stolen any fuel as well (after that car has almost done 500 km and the needle is still not on E... ). They did wash the car, tyres were polished black and dash was sparkling clean. I didnt expect maruti to do all this really. Was pretty much amazed and happy that day.

I havent owned any other car so cant comment on thier service or products.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Our mindsets are difficult to budge. Not that Maruti has had any serious competition. Only Hyundai has managed to carve out a market from Maruti's share. Maruti is the only company which has understood the Indian need & continues to provide cars, service etc to our specific needs. Companies like Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc can easily compete with Maruti if they cared a little more. Maruti is benefiting from all these.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:09   #19
BHPian

Most Indians live in cities and semi-urban areas that are congested. It is difficult to park the cars and find parking places in our cities as well as congested towns. Also Indian personal driving distances which are mainly in the cities are not very high in kilometer terms though are stressful. Average Indians are not very bulky or tall. Suzuki designed its cars for the Japanese markets which have all the conditions that I just mentioned. These products are successful in India. Suzuki has a very bad repute of poor products in USA. Why is it so? Because the cars that Suzuki designs are not suitable for longer distance driving that America demands like for example wide tyres that Suzuki does not use (for saving fuel), weight of cars, etc.

Last edited by sridhga : 24th November 2008 at 15:11.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

First-mover advantage.
More options in the lower-end of the market, which is the largest segment.
Reliable cars that run for years with just the scheduled services done.
Wide-spread A.S.S., with one in your neighbourhood, wherever you are in India.
And oh yes, good FE/mileage/average.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:39   #21
BHPian

why Maruti ? Try buying different brand car & you will receive all kinds of suggestions like you should have bought a Maruti car, Maruti car can do this, that and what not it can even dishwash infact Maruti can do all the stuff you can never imagine a supercar perform. about the build quality Mr. Khattar even gave statement like m800 is much stronger then Merc Benz.

service is the most important Feature you get in Maruti where you will be treated like a God --- > thats why Maruti ?

Maruti is like midas touch no matter which car comes from its stable it manages to get a star status soon.

Swift diesel runs on borrowed engine techs from Fiat but still Maruti manages to make it look like supercar (newspaper ad : Swift making headlines all over world ? ) infront of Palio Stile MJD.
Old 24th November 2008, 18:38   #22
BHPian

Ghar agaya hindustan.........,India comes home in a maruti suzuki
Old 24th November 2008, 19:02   #23
i10
BHPian

Before I begin, let me confess that I am no fan of Maruti, and in fact, despise the very quality (or rather lack of it) of their cars. Also, my personal experience at two major dealers of Maruti in Chennai, when scouting for options for my first car, was far from pleasant. While at one of the dealers, the two sales guys had next to no clue about the engine / specs / dimensions etc of the Swift - I was repeatedly handed over the brochure for all my queries; they knew only the on-road price by heart, at the other, the sales guy wasn't even able to converse properly with me - I am not a local - nor could he get hold of someone for me who could speak English - 'lunch time saar' - inspite of me being there at 2:30.

My experience at the Hyundai showroom was entirely different. The sales representatives were courteous, even offering refreshments (tea and biscuits), explained to me in great detail about the car, and then I was shown the car, test drive etc followed. The entire process of purchase, and the after sales service I have received has been very good.

Now I do not know what Maruti does better, but I would definitely not go for a Maruti unless they brush up their act and do away with their complacency towards prospective customers. And, of course, their reluctance in giving better quality products even if its at a premium.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Interesting question, Why Maruti???

1) Service is outstanding. Only car company to consistently outperform on service. If for any reason you are unhappy with the service, just fill in a low score on the feedback form and watch the fun. Calls from Gurgaon apologizing for the error, technicians coming home to attend to your issues, and rectifying them to your satisfaction, follow up calls to ensure that your problems are solved. Oh man, compare that with any of the so called luxury brands and you'll know what we're talking about.

2) Low maintainence costs - You buy a car, you're going to drive it, its going to have parts that need changing, maintainence etc..., do you want to pay through your nose for a busted headlight??? Well, if not, then go for a Maruti. Although with some of the newer models, they're hiking up the rates.

3) Awesome network - Where ever you go, a Maruti Service Center is close by, and they sell MGP to all and sundry. Try buying parts from the other reputed vendors without doing the work at their workshop. See the response and decide for yourselves.

I wont get into an argument about the safety issues of Maruti since you seem to be better prepared with facts and figures, but I know personally of people who have had no major accidents in over 20 years of driving a Maruti, simply because they dont speed too much. For many folks, the car is a means of transportation from point A to point B. Ordinary people dont want to race, they want to commute, and Maruti works for them.

Hope that answers some of your questions about Maruti.

BTW, my current car is a Hyundai, but the experience with Maruti Service is incomparable.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Very well said, Lalvaz!
There is a LOT more to car ownership than just the advertized safety features!
Old 24th November 2008, 19:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

1) the target customers which need low cost cars, low cost spares and service.
2) emotional about "hamara maruti"!!!
3) wide range of small cars though almost all are similar to each other.
4) wide network of service centres.
5) there are many who will ungrade only to a maruti from their maruti, maruti loyalists... like i am a mahindra loyalist, some maybe honda, toyota, etc... such loyalists are more in maruti's case...
Old 24th November 2008, 19:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

i feel that their after sales network and quality are the sole reason they are number 1.
the day tata's After sales network and quality become on par is the day they become #1 in india. Tata beats maruti in pretty much everything else
Old 24th November 2008, 19:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i feel that their after sales network and quality are the sole reason they are number 1.
the day tata's After sales network and quality become on par is the day they become #1 in india. Tata beats maruti in pretty much everything else

No way. Tata's build quality is a far cry from Maruti as of now. Same goes for reliability, and refinement. Tata is improving for sure, but not in the same league as Maruti. And as for sales and service, with Tata's, its a nightmare. Maybe I got that wrong, were you talking abt the Jaguar or Land rover cars???
Old 24th November 2008, 19:20   #29

Maruti knows 'Customer is THE KING', and knows well how to make them feel One.

Outstanding in Service. They have an extensive follow up programme and prompt service to mention. I was particularly impressed when they offered 2 free services for renewing the Insurance policy through the dealer. They have some or the other offer all the time for the customer.

And not to forget the Questionnaire that always follows the service/repair visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I agree with you, the build quality is much more solid, the cars are rugged and ofcourse reliable. Its the favourite segment for Taxi operators, the reason is simple - strong, sturdy, reliable, easy repairs. They do need to like you say improve sales/service network.

Seems the TATA's have improved quite a bit with the launch of Vista series. Lets wait for the reviews.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:34   #30
BHPian

Why Maruti is the number one? It's quite simple actually (in addition to the reasons already outlined by others):

1. Unmatched Distribution strength : Widest network of dealers & service centers

2. Brand Equity : Everyone trusts Maruti. With their eyes shut.

3. Low Costing : No one can build cars as cheap as Maruti. Thus, they are able to price their cars competitively and still retain a healthy profit margin.

4. Customer care : Even after grabbing 50+% of the market, Maruti owners are an incredibly satisfied lot. M-S has topped the JD Quality on customer satisfaction for several years in a row.

5. VFM : Cheap to buy, to run, to maintain, to own.

6. India's love for small cars : Lets face it. If the majority of our market was in the 6 - 10 lakh segment, Maruti probably wouldn't dominate the way they do now. However, our economics translate to maximum activity in the 3 - 6 lakh segment. Hence.....Maruti knows that the average purchasing price is only increasing. Thus, you see them marketing the Dzire & Sx4 so aggressively. They don't want to miss out on the tommorow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks