Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 13:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's and of late Hyundai's rule the Indian market.

We all know Maruti sells cars from Suzuki. When we see the sales trends in the developed countries, it will give us a pointer as to what the others are doing wrong in India.

I do not see cars from stables of both companies selling in developed countries the way they do in India.

The answer is in the way they have networked the entire country. That support network gives rise to ease of availability of spares and thus takes away ownership hassles, which in turn dictates the resale value.

We might say, Maruti had the advantage of lead time over the others in terms of setting up the dealer/workshop network. But then what about Hyundai? They built up the network in the little time they got.

One more fact is that, apart from Maruti or Hyundai, not many cater to the Mass market cars. GM does it, so does Tata and Fiat. Keeping Aside Fiat, GM entered the mass market only recently with the offering of the spark, and is steadily building a network of support centers. Tata is still in the upward learning curve.

But I think another 5-10 years down the line, the playing field will be more level than now. As a matter of fact we can thank Hyundai for stemming the Maruti monopoly.

However when we enter the C-segment, where the sedans are positioned, I dont think Maruti has ever cut much ice (apart from Esteem which had the first mover advantage and the previlege of the support network which no one else could match then, hence ease of ownership). The target customer being different, looks for other values in a car.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th November 2008 at 13:32.
Old 28th November 2008, 12:21   #47
BHPian

Almost every Indian, atleast in this twentieth century would had his first car - a Maruti. Just to clarify that's once maruti's came into being (1986 I believe). And out of 10, 8 would defenitely be a M800.

M800 - It would have defenitely given him/her, FE, less cost of maintenance, peace of mind and more over full of networks for any break down or repairs.

M800 - A car of its own, there is still no worthy replacement to it from any car maker or not even Maruti folks can replace it. You could ride right now..right...now from Bangalore to Mumbai only with just fuel in it. Just dont have to care anything else. Such is the relaibility of Maruti vehicles and network of service centres...atleast in India. This is where common man rely on Maruti. Any layman mechanic who just know ABCD of car repair could repair it without any hassle. This is not true of any other cars. I bet it.

Why I specifically speak about M800 is, I owned first a M800. Even though I started off with Mahindra Jeep (CJ500D), through Ambassador, Contessa, MM540, I couldn't still get that comfort and easiness,FE,maintenance and riding of a M800 with the price offered by other cars.

Had once travelled from Bangalore to Pondi with just had a measure of fuel in it. Did not have to care about anything else. It was a white 98 model M800. Came back like pleasure without any break down or hassles.

And second was a 98 Model zen (again white). Just had the fuel in it, did not look for any other aspect. Went from Bangalore to Karwar (540 km) and back with pleasure.
We earlier had just 400 km in mind to karwar, but it was 540 km, a difference of 240 km we drove without knowing our limits. It was hardly two drivers for whole of 1200 km. We did it...awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeee it was....it will be for ever too...!
had once headlight not working while back from Karwar. It was holy time, no shops..open..finally got a mechanic just about to close his small shop which he repairs bike. He could just make work the headlight (direct connection -loose contact it was) without earth given. Headlight started glowing as our mind and was back in bangalore next day afternoon. It was the best exp I had in my life with Maruti and travelling.

Even though had been from Bnglr- Goa regular trips (4 0r 5 times) in Sumo Victa (kuch log sumo chalate) driven by me and friends, had not given that satisfaction as that trip we did Bangalore-karwar.

Also basically or frankly I dont like Korean cars, and just believe that for cars its Japanese, like wise Bese bele bath for Bangalorean.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
A few days ago my car (Maruti WagonR) had started showing abnormally high temperature when I was on my way to a relative's place in Faridabad.
The high temperature was causing panic amongst us. The area too was a bit isolated, in the sense it was kind of village area.Thankfully, just about 200ms ahead, i saw a board "Authorized Maruti Service station".
Turned out it was a newly opened MASS, and i showed my car to them. It was a case of blown fuse. It was promptly corrected. Not only that, as a gesture of goodwill, me being one of the first customers, they gave a external car wash and touch up job on one of the scratch. All this free of cost!
I agree fully. Once I got stranded with my Ford car in a remote place hundreds of km away from service centers. Locals managed to arrange an auto and directed me to some nearby workshop within a kilometer. That happened to be a Maruti Authorized service station – the persons there listened to me, agreed to come down with required tools. Put the car back in action. And charged me Rs 40 for the 40 minutes effort 2 technicians took (plus 40 for the auto!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I hope this partially answers your query, why Maruti.
Well, I think it answers fully.
Maruti Service rocks!
Old 29th November 2008, 13:43   #49
BHPian

I say - why not Maruti?

Circa 1996 – Maruti 800, Midnight Blue from Mandovi Bangalore. 2.18lakhs
Maintenance – Regular servicing average 1500-2500(per annum)
Parts changed – Rear Left leaf spring, radiator hose, Break Lining, cabin top PVC(don’t know what you guys call) Cost- 12000
Consumbles – tyres, oil, spark plugs(I think), 3 bulbs, Battery, break lights Cost – 15000 Max
Sold in 2004 95K exchange bonus 10K total -105K, Odo reading - 78000
Circa 2004 - Esteem Vxi Moonlight Silver from Bimal 5.61
Maintenance – Regular servicing average 2500-3000(per annum)
Parts changed – None
Presently owning it – I am sure I can get at least 2.80, if I go for a maruti exchange add 10-25k
Do the math, I am sure most if not everyone will agree, why not maruti?
I have enjoyed every day of owning a Maruti whether the 800 or the Esteem. But I do sometimes feel down market when driving the Esteem with better cars on the road. But hey who cares as long as I have reliable and Low maintenance ride. For my next car, I did look out for the ANHC, Fiesta, Verna but nothing can beat the SX4,cheers: IMHO How much ever anyone keeps hollering from the top of the building. Buddy it’s the ownership experience
P.S. I learnt my driving in a Nissan Altima 88 in the Gulf. I have driven many big marquees in Europe. I get my hands on a Ford Fusion(my sister’s) My office car is a Optra Magnum. So this is not a one –sided view.
Old 29th November 2008, 16:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I remember one accident of Skoda Laura in New Delhi near India Gate with six Airbags and what not safety equipments on board (You must have read Skoda Laura Ad). Out of four occupants 2 were died on the spot.
the last two passengers got killed because they were not wearing seatbelts. and there are no airbags for the rear passengers. the guys in the front seats were not wearing seatbelts but the airbags stopped them from hurtling towards the windshield. the rear passengers got hurt as they flung towards the windshield. and died on the spot.

laura is a damn safe car. but safety applies for those who follow it.
Old 29th November 2008, 17:59   #51
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I agree fully. Once I got stranded with my Ford car in a remote place hundreds of km away from service centers. Locals managed to arrange an auto and directed me to some nearby workshop within a kilometer. That happened to be a Maruti Authorized service station – the persons there listened to me, agreed to come down with required tools. Put the car back in action. And charged me Rs 40 for the 40 minutes effort 2 technicians took (plus 40 for the auto!)

Well, I think it answers fully.
Maruti Service rocks!
I must confess-I do take my brother's Ford Endy to maruti once in a while for little things, because they are a lot more obliging and helpful than the guys at kairali ford.

Old 1st December 2008, 10:30   #52
BHPian

Got bored up..and then thought will contribute more to thread- Bcse I been with maruti always..even while dad likes Sumo Victa (kuch log...he he sumo chalate)...

and now my craze is for Honda cars - I mean OHC - I am mad of it - either a 1.3 or Vtec - Driver's delight - really love it - You just need to think a lil notch higher than what the usually the purpose a car - move people or carry people from one place to another -

But you get a highway - or just clean rod view for just few km - then you get a Honda - and just concentrate on the thump ( that vooooom sound), speedo, RPM....that's the thrill -

will take the case of Honda - Why it sells most and resale value is of highest -

1. Brand Value - Consider the value or supremo of being in a Honda and a Maruti vehicle. maruti has been poor man's mercedes...yes it is..But what honda sells is same relaible car, but priced high for brand. But there is more than to brand value in Honda.

2. Reliability - more than 100% reliable. I mean the engine - you just cant recognize the difference, if you drive a 70k km run honda vehicle and 10k run vehicle (well maintained - I mean serviced regularly). Its for that engine you pay the price. No one makes better engine than Honda at present. This image has been spread from the word Honda launched its Type I HC in 1998. The same holds for brand value.

3. The brand value has gone a notch up from Type I (1998 -2000) to Type II (2000-2003) and NHC (2003 -2008) and now its awaiting New Honda City 2008 in December. Wait and see - This is gonna be a super hit (20:20 in mallu terminology)

4. Eventhough the comfort level ( I mean interior) of 2003 is far better than Type I (ohc), the engine they couldn't match anywhere near OHC. This is because there were several tweaks (77bhp) for FE and so. So it scored in overall interior luxury and FE.But do note that even now the better looking Honda is Type II (2000-2003) OHC and the engine the best Honda had produced with as much the same FE.

5. Honda vehicles till 2000 - was a driver's delight car. This does not hold the same until Swift was launched. I mean the launch of swift took maruti to new levels, rather into Honda terittory for driver's delight car. And with Diesel they could attract people conserved for FE too.

6. But Maruti too has a driver's delight car - BALENO - the most under rated car in Indian roads and ever produced by Maruti. It just did not click initially since the looks was far dated while it launched. But no one knew the engine under hood - It was a special one. I hope that is the best engine and driver's delight car maruti ever produced. Also FE was very meagre, and also the price while it launched. Now lots car lovers are just behind it - Yes - Just upsize the tyre profile and add Alloy to it - car looks stunning - Just need to do this.

I hope i wrote more of Honda than Maruti here - might be I would start a thread - "Why Honda"
Old 1st December 2008, 21:50   #53

Yup PRSNCK. This thread was all about maruti and you stole the whole picture and now the hero of this thread seems to be Honda. I am sure you would get more feedback and enthusiasm as to 'why honda?' in the new thread.

I agree with the point that Hondas are basically good cars, I've hardly come across anyone who's complaining about honda, except for the High cost of spares, but guess thats just one aspect, lets ask others to enlighten more.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey prsnck, I think you need to start a "Why Honda? not anything else??" thread, instead of hijacking a MSIL thread. LOL.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:26   #55
BHPian

Well, Honda has its fans too, but still has to go a long way to be anywhere close to Maruti in identifying with the masses. They will have to come with more VFM products, but that will have a contra effect to its premium image – as they struggle with that dilemma, Maruti will continue to reign.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
I hope i wrote more of Honda than Maruti here - might be I would start a thread - "Why Honda"
Honda rules the premium segment in India like Maruti rules the small car segment.
Honda is to rich people what Maruti is to poor people.
Honda is reliable in the premium segment and so is Maruti in small car segment.
Honda is Japanese and so is Suzuki.
Except for the fact that Honda quality is flawless and Maruti build quality(I didn't mean reliability or safety) is questionable, Honda can be considered to be a Maruti which is much bigger, much better and much ahead. The two only cater to different segments of people.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:28   #57
BHPian

Edited:

Wrong post. ignore plz

Last edited by ritz830 : 15th December 2008 at 20:30.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Any layman mechanic who just know ABCD of car repair could repair it without any hassle. This is not true of any other cars. I bet it.
Well the layman mechanic wont know a thing about an MPFi engine which is the same for all the other cars, so how is maruti different?
Besides there havent been many times that I have seen a car stranded on the highway because of an engine issue.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:15   #59
BHPian

*** of marutis is really good but off late the quality has gone down. My friend bought an Alto LXi in Feb 07 & i was one of the first one's to get a drive. My uncle bought the same model 2 months back. I was very surprised to see the quality of plastics that had gone down in just 1 year. The bonet got misaligned when my uncle bought it from showroom as somebody tried to close the hood with the hood strut open. The dealer denied any fault on his part. The AC knob came off in hand while my nephew was turning it. (all this happened on a brand new car). It is really alarming to see such a huge difference in the same model in just one year. Dare i say! my uncle should have bought my freinds car (as a second hand). That would have been a better deal in my opinion.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Honda rules the premium segment in India like Maruti rules the small car segment.
Honda is to rich people what Maruti is to poor people.
Honda is reliable in the premium segment and so is Maruti in small car segment.
Honda is Japanese and so is Suzuki.
Except for the fact that Honda quality is flawless and Maruti build quality(I didn't mean reliability or safety) is questionable, Honda can be considered to be a Maruti which is much bigger, much better and much ahead. The two only cater to different segments of people.
Lets see what will people's car when Nano rolls out. M800 is kept alive to fill in the coffers.

Most Viewed