Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 11:25   #16
@ri
BHPian

Guess even the GQ (NH 5) in Andhra is pretty dangerous. The road invites you to rip and at the same time, you have buffaloes crossing the road and they are a mess... you would just not have the necessary stopping distance!!! I have been myself a victim of it and have heard that this is a regular feature!
Attached Thumbnails
Most Dangerous non-hilly Road to drive-img_1390.jpg  

Old 25th November 2008, 11:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
.... But for the the most dangerous road, my vote goes to Pune Solapur highway. It's two lane national highway and you'd see 70% of traffic consisting of 40 feet container trucks only, going in both directions. And the flow is continuous. It's very irritating to be on this road as you can't overtake these 40 feet giant trucks that easily. You feel irritated and that sometimes makes you drive recklessly.
I agree in toto. Even when you think you can overtake the slow-moving convoy of trucks in front of you, a mobike in the opposite direction is enough for you to abandon your plan. I got very tired last year when I reached Pune.
Thankfully, on the return journey, I did not face that many convoys.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Hosur rd in bangalore, seen lots of accidents happening in this stretch of road during the last 3 years.

Agreed , have lost a friend on Hosur road a year and some months back.

Have any of u been on the Dindugal – Madurai road past the Kodai road junction and all the way to Madurai – city entrance, havoc is an understatement, ambies, qualises, taveras, 407s, SETC buses, trucks and the works doing a 100-120 with rhythmic air or should I say shrill horns..Coming straight at you, dodge or else u had it…
Old 25th November 2008, 12:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Few had pointed out rightly on ECR. Drunken driving and high speeds are common sight here. This is due to the no.of resorts plus beaches to sit out and enjoy TASMAC stuff. Add silky smooth curvy roads + pedestrians + bikers making it more dangerous.

Krishnagiri to Salem is also very dangerous with heavy lorry traffic and the govt buses playing with every cars plying that route

Also heard the road from Valparai to Athirapalli falls is dangerous (but due to wild life )
Old 25th November 2008, 14:52   #20
BHPian

What we're all talking about are roads which are dangerous because of the drivers on these stretches, roads which are inherently dangerous are the end of the mum-pune expressway which has a very sharp turn, even with all the rumblers and boards, this is a place where someone might misjudge speed because many novices have never driven really fast and go crazy on the whole expressway and get in trouble at the end because of the misjudgement in relative speed.

another dangerous stretch is the south end of worli sea-face which is not banked and cars with poor tires often skid out of control.

there are several other roads which are designed poorly but no one bothers about the material of surfacing or the angle of banking.

The pune-solapur road has very dense traffic and the lines of trucks stretch from 500m-1 km, I covered the stretch in 3 hours at night between 7-10 a few weeks back, the trick is to cover the entire line of trucks or not overtake at all so judgement is very important here, I was really tired since I left from hyderabad at 3pm and reached solapur at 7, the traffic then got really bad, but luckily the surface is not as bad as NH3 which is a far more dangerous road when it comes to crazy drivers.

Last edited by naikpranav : 25th November 2008 at 14:58. Reason: addendum with solapur
Old 25th November 2008, 15:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looks like ECR is the name that pops out of almost every driver here. Equally bad, if not more is the GST road between chengalpet & chennai. Have seen some of the worst accidents there, in spite of the divider & broad roads.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:24   #22
BHPian

If one is talking about sheer traffic, I feel the Delhi Chandigarh road is by far the worst road. Its like driving on the Delhi ring road for 3 hours with everyone moving at a speed of 100 KMPH zig zaging their way through a maze of numerous trucks, loading autos, tractors moving at a speed of 60 kmph.

I recently took that road on my way to Rohtang and it was friday evening, it was like whole of delhi was either going for a weekend trip or most of the people who work in Delhi were going to their homes in Haryana or Punjab. I think I must have driven for close to an hour and a half when I stopped for a cup of tea and that is when I realised that I was amongst a jungle of cars and everyone was doing 100-120 kmph. It is pretty stressfull for people who are not used to that kind of Highway traffic.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:22   #23
BHPian

Slightly OT
Th NJ Turnpike in New Jersey US, is one of the scariest road I have driven on. People who have an idea about this road will second that.
The drivers are absolutely insane there. When 18 wheeled trucks zoom past by you at 90mph, it feels scary in your 'little' Accord then.

I have also had such horrid experience on I-5 in California.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:32   #24
BHPian

Vijayawada to Hyderabad is one of the most dangerous routes i have ever driven.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:28   #25
BHPian

most dangerous Non hill road

I feel NH-3 mumbai - Agra Highway, especially between mumbai - Nashik and Nashik - dhule. Thats due to very very heavy truck traffic. All trucks leaving for MP, eastern UP, Bihar, west Bengal, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Assam etc use this road. Then there are heavy passenger Bus and car traffic of Shirdi Visitors, on top of that there are local tempo which you are never sure will pop up from which side of road.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

has enybody mentioned the mumbai-pune express highway? it ought to be the safest road in india but judging by the accidents which takes place, its the other way round. reason being ill-informed or irresponsible drivers who dont care a damn about lane jumping and over speeding. (well, ahem.... include me too in the over speeding part!)
Old 26th November 2008, 10:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... reason being ill-informed or irresponsible drivers who dont care a damn about lane jumping and over speeding. (well, ahem.... include me too in the over speeding part!)
LOL, Raj, this thread is about dangerous roads!
We haven't got to the candid confessions stage yet!
Old 26th November 2008, 11:17   #28
BHPian

in my opinion the palm beach road that connects CBD belapur to vashi in Mumbai is a bit dangerous. its tempting road to speed up but there are many intersections that see many autos, two wheelrs jumping lanes and crossing intersections withou warning. I believe lot many crashes do take place on this road.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:51   #29
BHPian

Most stressful stretch for me in the recent past has been Ramnagaram-Bidadi-B'lore, especially when it is at the end of a long drive from either Ooty or Calicut, or wherever. There's a mad scramble to get into city and the call taxis doing the Bidadi-B'lore run add to the crowded traffic, with each vehicle trying to do 100kmph!

I would rate the Cherthala-Kollam stretch on NH47 as quite dangerous, purely because of the perennial throng on either side of the road, always ready to scoot across! Add private buses enacting their version of F1, throw in numerous KSRTC buses halting in the middle of the NH at the drop of a 'mundu', and the increasing number of private vehicles capable of high speeds - perfect recipe for disasters. (This is based on my last experience on a Dec'06 evening; things could be worse now.) BTW, the scenario is the same for the Trivandrum-Kanyakumari stretch too.
Old 26th November 2008, 13:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Based on feedbacks and accidents I would say the ECR connecting Pondicherry to Chennai could qualify for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
ECR. Most hyped road in this part of the country where you get to witness the most high speed crashes. Its plain stupidity to want to speed on this road and death inviting too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Looks like ECR is the name that pops out of almost every driver here.
Its one of the best roads I have ever driven on in this part of the country.
Dont you guys think that the ECR and its accidents thingy is just over hyped ? Coz every other NH/SH in this country is equally dangerous. Best example is Bangy-Mysore road.

I have done my fair share of driving on the ECR and personally think that the accident part is over hyped. Accidents happen on every single road in this country and this will continue as long as we have imbeciles and retards behind the steering wheel.

Having driven pedal to metal for long stretches along the ECR, its more of anticipation and the drivers reflexes what comes into play.

To me ECR will always remain the best road I have driven on .

Most Viewed